What are the most badass skills that a person can have.

Dark Ariel7

I am talking real James bond like stuff. I was watching one of those shows about thieves and just started thinking to myself "How does a person become this cool?" Yes yes. Thieves are not cool and whatever BUT! Their skills sure as heck are. What do you guys think are the coolest skills that a person can gather that may actually come in useful one day?

My list so far is:

Reading lips. (This would be super cool for knowing things you are not supposed to)
Morse Code (This comes with the super huge down side of not many people knowing it)

Knowing more than 2 languages (Probably one of the hardest on the list but the most applicable to everyday life)
Lock picking (never forget your keys again!)
Driving a wide arrange of vehicles (Cars motorcycles airplanes boats etc. Sounds hard but is totally doable.) 

Magic card tricks (These are pedestrian but they add to the charm)
Dancing. (Again mundane but done well, it can really put up the charm)
Cooking (Get this one. If you can only get one in the list, get this one)

Card counting (Sometimes you really need to win at strip poker)

Playing a common instrument (Charm but really I feel like this is the least impressive unless its maybe a classical song or two on the piano)

Does anyone have any skill that they just think would boost their badasstitude 200% like one of these? Is there anyone here that has more than 5 of these? 

Sorry sorry. I have just been fangirling over spies and thieves for a couple of weeks now. 

Cooking isn't badass, it's a thing everyone should learn and people who don't know should be ashamed of, take their asses off of fuwa and get to learn it. Being unable to follow a recipe marks you as the most incompetent of the incompetent, lol. 

*Ahem* 

With that out of the system, running up and flipping off of walls is pretty cool. I wanted to do that all the time as a child. Did capoiera for about 6 years, unfortunately we don't learn that there. 

Martial arts/self defense should definitely have been up there. Dont know what I was thinking.
Knife throwing is cool (I have a set next to me as I type this) but it does not strike me as super badass skill. When will you ever use it? I wanted things that are also super useful outside of a fantasy setting in my head. Like wowing your girlfriend. (I know I said realistic but lemme have this ok?)
When I said cooking though I did not mean average cooking. I meant fancy 3 star restaurant cooking. Souffles fancy unpronounceable dishes. The works.

I personally have .75 of one. I read and speak 2 and I am getting there on the third. I can only drive a 2 wheeled vehicle and not the cool one.

Souffles fancy unpronounceable dishes. The works..

Gourmet cooking isn't hard if the prep work has been done competently. The problem most good-for-nothing incompetent idiots face is that they decide to do it on a whim. "I'm hungry, let's cook something fancy" is completely unreasonable, and not even the best of chefs can work the magic to make something beautiful out of the kitchen from the idiot who thinks like that. Knowing what you're going to cook before you do it (knowing it and preparing for it one day beforehand should be good enough for most dishes) and preparing for it accordingly is the key for it. If you're not crippled or mentally ill and you're given one week of preparation to cook a dish, I stand by saying you're a good-for-nothing retard if you can't do it. 

Other than that, it's just naturally being orderly and smart- AKA don't be an idiot while cooking (start the longest-cooking recipe first, stagger the cooking times of the remaining dishes so that everything will be done by the same time, make sure you have everything you need to cook before you start doing it, etc.)

*Takes a deep breath and stops raging*

If you wanna learn some gourmet cooking, I could suggest you some books. It's a hobby of mine. 

Gourmet cooking isn't hard if the prep work has been done competently. The problem most good-for-nothing incompetent idiots face is that they decide to do it on a whim. "I'm hungry, let's cook something fancy" is completely unreasonable, and not even the best of chefs can work the magic to make something beautiful out of the kitchen from the idiot who thinks like that. Knowing what you're going to cook before you do it (knowing it and preparing for it one day beforehand should be good enough for most dishes) and preparing for it accordingly is the key for it. If you're not crippled or mentally ill and you're given one week of preparation to cook a dish, I stand by saying you're a good-for-nothing retard if you can't do it. 

Other than that, it's just naturally being orderly and smart- AKA don't be an idiot while cooking (start the longest-cooking recipe first, stagger the cooking times of the remaining dishes so that everything will be done by the same time, make sure you have everything you need to cook before you start doing it, etc.)

*Takes a deep breath and stops raging*

If you wanna learn some gourmet cooking, I could suggest you some books. It's a hobby of mine. 

I don't disagree with you but I do think you are underselling yourself and your skills. It is not undo-able but certain aspects do take practice and are a skill you need to develop. Some of it is just flair (cracking an egg with one hand, flipping pancakes in midair.) but some of it is real skill. The skill though comes down to saving time and making things easier in most cases. I am new to cooking and I see that I fumble tasks that take my mother less than half the time. The end result is the same but the level of skill is very different. Walking vs running a marathon. I am up there with you about following recipes though. You read and then you do as you read.

AND. It doesn't matter if it's easy or not. High level cooking is a skill that will impress most people. I think it deserves a solid place in the list.

QuoteQuoteQuote

DarkAriel7

I am talking real James bond like stuff.

Whers the skill to hit on hot chicks with high probability of success? I want thisone... :illya:   oh and I also want to be able to run around 10kms without completely dying out (im like totally dead now after only 2) :yumiko:

Whers the skill to hit on hot chicks with high probability of success? I want thisone... :illya:   oh and I also want to be able to run around 10kms without completely dying out (im like totally dead now after only 2) :yumiko:

That is a compound skill derived from all the other skills.

You are on your own with the running. I can barely run 2 miles. 

I know how to sow. Its not really all that hard or all that cool. Useful? God yes. Cool? Not really. I personally see it as an average skill. Its nice if you have it no one will be surprised if you don't.

I'm a small guy (170 cm) and used to be a fatass (100+ kg) throughout my teens. And yet I still was one of the most popular kids in both of my schools.

Charisma is a badass skill. 

I really would argue though that charisma does not count simply because it is not a learn-able skill. You can't teach people charisma.

I know how to sow. Its not really all that hard or all that cool. Useful? God yes. Cool? Not really. I personally see it as an average skill. Its nice if you have it no one will be surprised if you don't.

sow
sō/
verb

1. plant (seed) by scattering it on or in the earth. 

:Kappa:

Hacking. The 'gain access into the heart of a heavily fortified fortress in 5 seconds' type of hacking.

Hacking is mostly about being willing to put in the effort and using simple tools that exploit social weaknesses, these days, rather than about anything like "skills". Cryptography is too good for anybody but an academic to find weaknesses, so the next step is finding software weaknesses. That's usually too much of a hassle since cryptography implementations are pretty well-tested, too (setting aside Heartbleed-type vulnerabilities that emerge once every year or so), so then you're left with social engineering. And, sadly, that's easy. I choose not to go into detail about specific cases, but the bottom line is, going through a person is now the easiest way to get access into the network of your choice, and it's not a difficult thing at all. The days of "It's a Unix system; I know this!" are basically gone, for both better and worse.

Parkour and/or freerunning's pretty cool too.

I'll give you that one :D

One skill I have, to a moderate degree, and which I respect in others: psychic debugging. That is, of course, only cool and/or useful if you're also a software engineer.

I've obtained the cooking still at a high enough level for me; I'm far short of a professional, but I can impress, especially in the baking arena. As Kaguya says, though, this is really not a difficult achievement - preparation well in advance gets you 90% of the way there, and if you prepare properly, following most recipes is very easy (but beware that there are plenty of bad recipes out there on the internet...). That said, it does take time and experience to get comfortable with recognizing reasonable proportions and combinations of ingredients, and that familiarity is what helps you identify bad recipes before attempting them, recover from mistakes (or correct them on subsequent attempts), and so on. So, if you are interested in cooking, start out by attempting recipes you know you will like, obtained from family, friends, etc.; you'll likely be surprised at how easy and rewarding cooking is.

• 2 weeks later...