Denpasoft Info & Announcements

kyrt

• 5 weeks later...

I love the difference between SP/Denpa and MG.

From MG side we're getting steady updates on their website, we know who works on what, and we even get comments on twitter.

From SP/Denpa side we're getting "pretty much" steady updates about Grisaia/Clannad, and then there's a black hole with all other VNs inside, of which all we know that there's titles and they'll be released in english.

We haven't got any news regarding G-Senjou/Root Double/Chronoclock/Tenshin Ranman since AExpo/Otakon...

I started doing Excel tables(of titles I'm interested in) on 9 Aug, and since then didn't need to update any of Sekai titles, yay less work to do. I hope my estimated dates for SP titles won't move to 2017/18 O_O

Is it so freaking hard to mention some names working behind the projects or give people steady monthly updates in numbers?

9AwgFRW.png

PS. That's not how you should treat community :/

From MG side we're getting steady updates on their website, we know who works on what, and we even get comments on twitter.

From SP/Denpa side we're getting "pretty much" steady updates about Grisaia/Clannad, and then there's a black hole with all other VNs inside, of which all we know that there's titles and they'll be released in english.

We haven't got any news regarding G-Senjou/Root Double/Chronoclock/Tenshin Ranman since AExpo/Otakon...

I started doing Excel tables(of titles I'm interested in) on 9 Aug, and since then didn't need to update any of Sekai titles, yay less work to do. I hope my estimated dates for SP titles won't move to 2017/18 O_O

Is it so freaking hard to mention some names working behind the projects or give people steady monthly updates in numbers?

9AwgFRW.png

To be fair, they had regular updates on Kajitsu's 18+ version via their forums.

Yeah... But it's not their only title? I won't even say a word how bad Unrated version was advertised... Advertisement very often plays huge role in sales. They didn't even said a word about this on SP twitter(WTH?)

Actually updates from dovac were pretty good, and occured quite often. But it's only for Grisaia, the rest is left in Black Hole.

Why is there an expectation of regular updates to begin with?  What does it matter to you?  Games will be done when they're done.  The updates are just marketing to generate hype.

I think people here are mixing up a need for transparency on critical topics with "I want to be kept in the loop because!".  Is it important that information on censorship be conveyed to crowdfunding backers in a timely fashion?  Yes!  Is it important that you know what % of the translation is done on every single project?  No!

For sake of argument, let's say I look at progress reports and gauge the rate something is being worked on. I can then make a rough guess at when it can be expected to release. (barring some unforeseen stall or spurt) And then plan out when to have extra cash set aside.

There is nothing trivial about progress reports, they are used both in commerce and business all the time to monitor and evaluate trends.

People get antsy if they don't hear anything.  I mean, sure, 0-100% completion without updates has been done before, and not just with VNs, it's just that if you do that, some people will lose interest because they have no idea how it's going, and pessimism spreads quite easily.  From a marketing standpoint, that is just pathetic.  You're supposed to get people excited about a product, and barely mentioning anything about it until it's out is a pretty good way to fail at marketing.  Just because you have some assured sales doesn't mean that there is no reason to even try to market your product a little.

For sake of argument, let's say I look at progress reports and gauge the rate something is being worked on. I can then make a rough guess at when it can be expected to release. (barring some unforeseen stall or spurt) And then plan out when to have extra cash set aside.

That's what release dates are for.

People get antsy if they don't hear anything.  I mean, sure, 0-100% completion without updates has been done before, and not just with VNs, it's just that if you do that, some people will lose interest because they have no idea how it's going, and pessimism spreads quite easily.  From a marketing standpoint, that is just pathetic.  You're supposed to get people excited about a product, and barely mentioning anything about it until it's out is a pretty good way to fail at marketing.  Just because you have some assured sales doesn't mean that there is no reason to even try to market your product a little.

A game can be marketed without giving weekly or monthly progress updates.  A marketing campaign beginning 3 months before release should generally be sufficient.  And by that I mean actual marketing--not just saying the game is almost done.

I'm not sure why people are demanding a glass container to watch water boil.  You're not even the ones doing the cooking!

I'm not sure why people are demanding a glass container to watch water boil.  You're not even the ones doing the cooking!

I like to watch people cook, and then possibly eat the dish. Anyway it'll be hard to imagine all Fan TL projects without progress updates.

That's what release dates are for.

Did we get any release dates eiter? I don't think so. Just Clannad, please don't mention G-Senjou.

People like to see progress/numbers, and Visual Novels are ideal things for this, since it's just Translation/Editing/QC/Enigine things, they're not video games, so progress is way easier to keep up. And it's just localising, not exactly creating something.

Access to information allows for a more stable understanding of a situation, and better planning - regardless of the subject. Not "being the cook" is irrelevant, it gives insight on the cooks behaviour, how skilled they are, and if they have any habits they fall into on a consistant basis. "can I trust this cook?"

With SP being the core example in this case, it can give consumers a idea how SP operates as a business. A company that can't keep a firm handle on its own internal timetables and deadlines will rarely have the respect of a consumer (cough Jast cough).

Another thing to consider, is that a consumer is also a potential investor. Who in their right mind would want to invest in a company that cannot provide confident, and regular reports on the level of productivity going on with each project under its umbrella?

Another thing to consider, is that a consumer is also a potential investor. Who in their right mind would want to invest in a company that cannot provide confident, and regular reports on the level of productivity going on with each project under its umbrella?

JAST and MangaGamer sell finished products.  There's no investment going on there.  Crowdfunding is a different matter.

I like to watch people cook, and then possibly eat the dish. Anyway it'll be hard to imagine all Fan TL projects without progress updates.

Fan translation projects need updates because they're so unreliable.  Also, the updates and resulting buzz serve as motivation for the translators to keep working.  Fan translation is governed by a completely different set of rules adapted for different circumstances.

Access to information allows for a more stable understanding of a situation, and better planning - regardless of the subject. Not "being the cook" is irrelevant, it gives insight on the cooks behaviour, how skilled they are, and if they have any habits they fall into on a consistant basis. "can I trust this cook?"

You don't need that information, and access to that information has a cost.  It distracts from the real work of actually producing product.  Would you hound an author while they're writing a book?  Then why hound a company while they're translating a game?

I only apply pressure to a company when I see a need to do so.  JAST's marketing of its RPGs worries me.  Their initial statements regarding Shiny Days were concerning.  Sekai Project's transparency regarding adult content in its releases leaves much to be desired.  Pestering companies in an unfocused manner is just harassment.  They have better things to do than respond to every single person's concerns regardless of how important they are!

I pretty much agree with Sanah on this. Exact project status is a luxury that normal customers do not need to know, nor are they entitled to that information. It's cool that MangaGamer does it, but if Sekai Project doesn't think it's worth their while, then, well, oh well. They operate like almost every single other video game developer/publisher in the world. It's unreasonable to expect more. Well, what IS reasonable, like Sanah says, is to expect more transparency when it comes to the 18+ stuff. Outside of that, I don't think anyone has a right to know SP's inner workings.