What are you playing?

Just finished the first episode of Ace Attorney Investigations 2. Definitely one of the better opening episodes in the series, not as good as Trials and Tribulations' but still really good. Looking forward to what the next episode has in store

While (IMO) it is quite well done, it definitely does not trump AAI1. It has its own great bit, but in the end it subtly screws things over. It's better than PW:JFA and PW5, though.

So I wrapped up Heavens Feel, but am left uncertain on one point: do I want to see the "Good Ending"s as well as the "True Ending"s, for both Unlimited Bladeworks and Heaven's Feel?

I found the endings for both to be delightfully bittersweet, but I also wouldn't mind seeing a happier ending for both routes. So if that's what I'm going to get by doing the Good Ending, I should definitely go for them. And even if they're just sufficiently different, that's motivation enough as well. I just don't want to watch essentially the same thing happen over again...

In the interest of not having too much spoiled for me, a simple "yes, you should get those other endings" or "no, you shouldn't" is sufficient :)

So I wrapped up Heavens Feel, but am left uncertain on one point: do I want to see the "Good Ending"s as well as the "True Ending"s, for both Unlimited Bladeworks and Heaven's Feel?

In the interest of not having too much spoiled for me, a simple "yes, you should get those other endings" or "no, you shouldn't" is sufficient :)

Yes, you should see all the endings.

I'm nearing the end of the Heaven's Feel route in F/SN, and reached this gem of a decision which made me smile a lot:

--a multitude of conflicting choices--

To be honest, around the time you start nearing the end of the game, the choices become

more and more trolly. Plenty of choices like that or a "win game" "lose game" choice, pretty much. At least that's what I remember.

To be honest, around the time you start nearing the end of the game, the choices become

more and more trolly. Plenty of choices like that or a "win game" "lose game" choice, pretty much. At least that's what I remember.

I remember most of the choices being fairly trolly throughout the entire VN.  Admittedly, some were less so than others, but I tried reading without a walkthrough and using common sense to progress, but it took way too long since common sense was completely screwing me over when it came to picking the right choices.

Playing Hana no No ni Saku Utakata no right now. It's alright. I have kinda problems getting into reading last week or so. So hard to tell how it is, but at least the vn is pretty enjoyable. Ouka and protag's setting, the mysteries stuff is good. Other than that it's not something jaw dropping.

I resumed playing Chaos;Head and I was immediately reminded of its gruesomeness.

That experiment scene in Chapter 8. Making someone believe that her baby is alive by thought manipulation and the finally the description about the mom going crazy. That is some messed up stuff.

The game sure creates a really oppressive atmosphere. 

I also really love the light switch sounds in the main menu, I just have fiddle with them every time.

So I just finished episode 2 of Umineko.

Damn... I know I said I was going to be playing Baldr... but how am I even going to even think about playing Baldr after that.

Also, thanks for the feels Umineko:

fJyMEFE.png

Chapter 4 is the designated Feels Chapter. Although the short glimpse you get into the life of Maria in Ch. 2 is pretty surprising, to say the least. And that fucking ending. God, I want to reread umineko again even though it's only been six months. I'm patiently waiting for that full PS3 to PC port some crazy russian fan team is working on.

I remember most of the choices being fairly trolly throughout the entire VN.  Admittedly, some were less so than others, but I tried reading without a walkthrough and using common sense to progress, but it took way too long since common sense was completely screwing me over when it came to picking the right choices.

Yeah, I had the same experience. A lot of the choices really felt like a coin-toss as to which one was the "right" answer. I wish the game just had fewer choices, so I wouldn't accidentally die so often.

Well, to be clear, I'm fine with games that have lots of choices in the common route which influence my subsequent fate. Once I'm on a route (or failed to reach any route, though this generally only happens to me when I intentionally do it, or in Katawa Shoujo because that game hates the way I think), I'd be perfectly happy with the rest of the game being on rails and having no bad endings. Bad endings tend to just upset me.

I actually quite distinctly recall the first Bad Ending I ever experienced, while playing Haruka's route in Little Busters!.

I hate lying, and I guess I insert myself somewhat when playing games, because I also hate it when a game forces my playable character to lie. So I first took the "wrong" choice that involved telling the truth, and hit her bad ending. The resulting feelings of despair were downright traumatizing - way worse than a merely violent F/SN Dead End.

Wow. The last chapter of Eustia is incredibly crappy. I'm glad the rest of the game wasn't like this. It's strange because usually the final, 'true' end is supposed to be the best of the whole game but in this case it's shaping up to be the worst. I'm basically speed reading by this point just to get it all over with.

Having finished all three routes once last night, tonight I wrapped up the remaining two endings to Fate/Stay Night (the "Good" ending for UBW and the "Normal" ending for Heavens Feel). My thoughts on the endings for those two routes:

UBW "Good" ending: Sure everything's fine and everybody's happy here, but the tone of it just made me feel bad for Rin - she deserves better than the cards she gets dealt in this ending.

vs.
UBW "True" ending: This one was just the perfect level of bittersweet for me, with the main protagonists moving forward happily together, but still having sad memories to cling to and reflect on.

Heavens Feel "Normal" Ending - Having your main character die kinda sucks. I can deal with it, and I've played other games that execute it well and make it feel "worth" it, but I want to feel like I got something good in exchange for it. Compared to the "True" ending, there's no trade-off. What I really wanted from this ending was maybe a nice Ilya scene. What I got was... nothing? Right, nothing.

Heavens Feel "True" Ending - Again, a very solid bittersweet ending. The way they played it close to the chest as to whether Shirou was "alive" seemed kinda dumb, though - there were too many hints dropped already that he was just fine for it to be believable. The best thing about this ending, though, was probably seeing the new sprites for so many characters. Damn, Sakura looked good.

And aside from those thoughts specifically about endings, here are some thoughts about the Heavens Feel route in general:

It was a great read, but I strongly prefer UBW for entertainment and personal satisfaction, mostly because Heavens Feel was simply too dark. There are a few themes that make me very uncomfortable, and both rape and torture are on that list, so those elements being very prominent in this route made it a lot less enjoyable for me. That said, I loved seeing more of Ilya, and in a better light than previously (can Ilya be my little sister?), and I appreciated how the full story came together here. In addition to Ilya, Kotomine and of course Sakura only became fascinating characters on this route. Fate/Stay Night really feels like an impressively-architected work of art when you reach Heavens Feel, as all the disparate pieces finally start clicking into place.

Chapter 4 is the designated Feels Chapter. Although the short glimpse you get into the life of Maria in Ch. 2 is pretty surprising, to say the least. And that fucking ending. God, I want to reread umineko again even though it's only been six months. I'm patiently waiting for that full PS3 to PC port some crazy russian fan team is working on.

I guess I will wait for that too, no matter how much I bashed EP7&8 when I was reading.

I guess I will wait for that too, no matter how much I bashed EP7&8 when I was reading.

They have a test version of the first episode now so they're making progress. It will be a full feature-perfect replica of the PS3 version. They're even doing additional TLC and edit passes on the english translation.. Although one issue is that it's pretty much a full-on illegal pirate version that will not require the original games or anything, they're just packing everything into their version and that's all they'll offer. We won't even be able to link it here when it's done. :( 

They have a test version of the first episode now so they're making progress. It will be a full feature-perfect replica of the PS3 version. They're even doing additional TLC and edit passes on the english translation.. Although one issue is that it's pretty much a full-on illegal pirate version that will not require the original games or anything, they're just packing everything into their version and that's all they'll offer. We won't even be able to link it here when it's done. :(

Will we be able to name the group that made it or will it be considered as linking to a torrent site or something?