Books!

meru

And how do Japanese VN's resolve this restructuring problem of yours :huh: ? VN's are not exactly a Disney riding experience. They are mostly still sprites and recycled backgrounds. Most of the visualization processes are still happening through texts. If you run into this problem with a textbook, you will likely run into this problem with VNs. If anything, I imagine it would be worse since VN's are arguably less descriptive in their use of languages than a classic textbook. They rely on low budget graphics and special effects; and underpaid voice actors which can be a crux later on if it cuts into the budget (which often is always the case.)

I don't have a problem with whatever medium the author chooses to conceptualize his ideas on. I am happy as long he finishes getting his point across. But I still like having the option of having my own imaginations from time to time though. Having a "definite outlook" on things often lock it into a fixed state.

I love English because it is one of the richest languages for literary in the world. The author's imagination is limited only by his versatility in it. I love an author who picks his words carefully without either skimping on details or going overboard with flowery and unnecessary descriptions. In the hands of a capable writer, the images in my mind are more vivid than any movie set or theme ride can offer. It is not only images that start to dance; but it also invokes each of my five senses alive. So if you are asking me if there are other ways to imagining than "visualizing", then I would start by seeing more with your mind's eyes if you had not. 

She entered very carefully, moving silently, floating through the chamber like a phantom; the only sound was that of her mantle brushing her naked skin... He did not move, did not stir. The girl flitted closer, threw off her mantle and slowly, hesitantly, rested her knee on the edge of the large bed. He observed her through lowered lashes, still not betraying his wakefulness. The girl carefully climbed onto the bedclothes, and onto him, wrapping her thighs around him. Leaning forward on straining arms, she brushed his face with her hair which smelled of chamomile. Determined, and as if impatient, she leaned over and touched his eyelids, cheeks, lips with the tips of her breasts... Her eyes, glimpsed when her face came close to his, were huge and dark as the eyes of a water nyph. Rocked, he sank into a sea of chamomile as it grew agitated and seethed.

Visual novels do the thinking for me. Not all of them, but a whole lot. Some people might look down on this as being utterly lazy, but truth betold I am lazy and it's not something to be ashamed of. The best food are made the best cooks, and you most probably aren't one. Anyway, visual novels define among other things the characters, voices, settings, music, effects, despite being small they ultimately make up the overall tone. Most of the problems I have are thereby solved already, and some I figure out by myself from the tone. Sole description via text is still lacking compared to the background of a VN plus even more description from its text. Even so, there are still some VNs out there with poor narrative orientation. e.g. Rewrite.

So here lies exactly the problem, how much of the "author's point" comes across, and that depends on what media it's told through. I tend to miss a lot of things. Still, visual novels aren't as clear as motion picture, but that's just the way I like it. Like you, I enjoy using my imagination from time to time, and whatever the visual novel doesn't fix I'll just figure something out. It's not as tiring as a story told entirely through text, but it still leaves a lot to the imagination. Now that I think of it, that is most probably why I love visual novels.

And I love English as well. It's implemented brilliantly in my favorite series of books, but just as there are some things explained better through words, there are some other things explained better through imagery, and what I am is a lazy bum who prefers the latter. Visual novels and books can be just as thrilling as a Disney riding experience, thus the phrase "emotional roller coaster", so be sure to not underestimate the power of storytelling.  :P

I understand and respect all the book readers out there who choose to take the time to enhance their creativity by reading. That said, despite being lethargic, I'm actually a very creative person. But really, this media isn't suited for me.  :)

Visual novels do the thinking for me. Not all of them, but a whole lot. Some people might look down on this as being utterly lazy, but truth betold I am lazy and it's not something to be ashamed of. The best food are made the best cooks, and you most probably aren't one. Anyway, visual novels define among other things the characters, voices, settings, music, effects, despite being small they ultimately make up the overall tone. Most of the problems I have are thereby solved already, and some I figure out by myself from the tone. Sole description via text is still lacking compared to the background of a VN plus even more description from its text. Even so, there are still some VNs out there with poor narrative orientation. e.g. Rewrite.

So here lies exactly the problem, how much of the "author's point" comes across, and that depends on what media it's told through. I tend to miss a lot of things. Still, visual novels aren't as clear as motion picture, but that's just the way I like it. Like you, I enjoy using my imagination from time to time, and whatever the visual novel doesn't fix I'll just figure something out. It's not as tiring as a story told entirely through text, but it still leaves a lot to the imagination. Now that I think of it, that is most probably why I love visual novels.

And I love English as well. It's implemented brilliantly in my favorite series of books, but just as there are some things explained better through words, there are some other things explained better through imagery, and what I am is a lazy bum who prefers the latter. Visual novels and books can be just as thrilling as a Disney riding experience, thus the phrase "emotional roller coaster", so be sure to not underestimate the power of storytelling.  :P

I understand and respect all the book readers out there who choose to take the time to enhance their creativity by reading. That said, despite being lethargic, I'm actually a very creative person. But really, this media isn't suited for me.  :)

No medium is superior to the other and what works for you works for me. We all wouldn't be here if we didn't share similar interest in VNs. I understand your viewpoint on books better now though. Thank you.

Sword of Truth by by Terry Goodkind. If you like Fantasy, Heroics, Adventure and Romance read these. It's what got me into A Song of Ice and Fire.

That's another series I left hanging back in high school waiting for the final volume and need to finish (though I remember it way better than Wheel of Time). I don't want any specific details, but is the ending good? Also how is the sequel series?

That's another series I left hanging back in high school waiting for the final volume and need to finish (though I remember it way better than Wheel of Time). I don't want any specific details, but is the ending good? Also how is the sequel series?

I would say it's not worth your time. Keep those good memories you had and avoid. Most people agree that the last volume is an outlet for Goodkin's political ramblings (Richard is used as a podium), with nothing happening in the books. He should learn from Orson Scott to separate your insane real life ideologies with your fictional ones so as to not ruin your characters. The author hadn't wrote a single good book after the volume before that I believe, including the sequel series you're referring to (which based upon reviews, I have no motivation to pick up.)

my mom knowing hp lovecraft is my all time favorite writer bought me this for  my birthday this month i cant wait to get home crack it open an re-read all my old fave stories from the true master of cosmic horror and weird fiction. http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft-Horror-Classics/dp/1435140370/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406008189&sr=1-4&keywords=h+p+lovecraft+hardcover

I really need to read more. I have quite a few sci-fi and fantasy books on my shelves, and WAAAAY more on a list on my computer, but I tend to watch anime, read manga, and read vns more often (but I need to read more because Dune is SOOO GOOD AND I'M SURE THERE'S SO MUCH MORE AMAZING STUFF WAITING FOR ME ON THE OTHER SIDE)

Read one or two novels every month (too slow to read more than two books). Finished Silmarillion few weeks ago and... It's was fantastic! Now reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

My favourite books are Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui and The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon.

Wow you actually read the entire silmarillion? I remember trying to read that a couple years back, but returned the book to whoever I was borrowing it from since school was ending. Would be pretty interesting to look at again after having more perspective of creation stories through reading the Theogony as well as portions of the bible. 

Wow you actually read the entire silmarillion? I remember trying to read that a couple years back, but returned the book to whoever I was borrowing it from since school was ending. Would be pretty interesting to look at again after having more perspective of creation stories through reading the Theogony as well as portions of the bible. 

I've heard so many people said that reading Silmarillion is such a pain but for me it was easy and entertaining (even without reading The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings). I think everything went smoothly because I like this difficult type of stories - epic poetry. I dunno why... Maybe because I like epicness in literature (with gods, angels (valars), world creation, big wars etc.).

The Silmarillion is a nice read, but you definitely can't go into it expecting a fantasy novel. And it's probably better if you already read and appreciated other creation myths and stuff of that kind before.

I was into that stuff a while ago, read quite a few of them, so it went nice.

But yeah Tolkien is definitely not a novel writer.

I'd like to read it again once I'll finally get off my butt and finish reading Campbell's myth theories. Could be interesting to see if some of his schematics and analysis can be sticked onto the Silmarillion.

Oh thanks for bringing this post back alive. I somehow missed it my past 2 months.

I like to read. It is relaxing and always something to do when traveling or doing something else far away from your computer (I actually read at home too). 

But I am reading a lot of history related stuff. Some of my favourites are Conn Iggulden with his series about the Roman Empire and Genghis Khan. Simon Scarrow with his The Eagle series (about the Roman Empire). I also like the LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit. The books are superior but the movies are damn good. I plan to read Gearge R.R Martins Game of Thrones. I also like a lot of books from Robyn Young about the Templars and the Scottish rebellion in the 13th century.

Some of the books and authors I like. I got way more if I can dig it up in my memory.

But I am reading a lot of history related stuff. Some of my favourites are Conn Iggulden with his series about the Roman Empire and Genghis Khan. Simon Scarrow with his The Eagle series (about the Roman Empire).

Have you tried Valentin Pikul's works? He wrote many good historical novels such as By plume and swordThe Battle of Iron Chancellors and The Three Ages of Okini-San. They don't connect with the Roman Empire but If you like history related literature then you should definitely try one of this.

Have you tried Valentin Pikul's works? He wrote many good historical novels such as By plume and swordThe Battle of Iron Chancellors and The Three Ages of Okini-San. They don't connect with the Roman Empire but If you like history related literature then you should definitely try one of this.

I haven't read that. But I can look into it. I can read anything about history except the ancient Greece. That is in my opinion a load of made up crap.

Guest sakanaとkoeda

Books/series that got me into reading: Redwall, Bunnicula, Harry Potter, Where the Red Fern Grows

Books I had to read and liked: The Things They Carried, The Great Gatsby, A World Lit Only By Fire

Books I had to read and disliked: Contempt, Waiting For Godot, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Books I never finished: War and Peace, Anna Karenina, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Books that I wanted to defenestrate should have killed me: The Experience of Philosophy (6th), Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++ (5th)

I'm in the middle of two books right now.  One is the tremendously large and imposing Chinese epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and currently to take a bit of a break from that I'm continuing with Agatha Christie detective novels which I love with all my being.  Currently: A Murder is Announced.

I had to read The Bluest Eye for a high school English class...ugh, that was a horrible book.  Made me regret taking that class.  I still wish, to this day, that I could forget I ever read it.

I'm currently reading A Canticle for Leibowitz, which I'm reading sporadically.  It's hard to get into it, since I don't know a lot about the Catholic church, and they don't always say what passages in Latin means, which can be a little irritating, since there'll be entire paragraphs written in it.  I do love me some post-apocalyptic fiction, though.  Anyone here read Stephen King's The Stand?  Finished that before summer started.  Loved the book, hated the ending.

Are those any good? I knew that the Metro games were based off of novels written by a Russian guy, but they didn't have 'em at my local library, so I lost interest.

As I said is my favourite books, so yeah it is good. If you didn't play game is a bit hard to imagine how that world really look like but story and style of writing is amazing. Games are great because will show you visual side of the world.

Go for it!!!

As I said is my favourite books, so yeah it is good. If you didn't play game is a bit hard to imagine how that world really look like but story and style of writing is amazing. Games are great because will show you visual side of the world.

Go for it!!!

Okay, I'll see if there's somewhere I can get them after I finish Leibowitz.  Thanks for the recommendation ^_^

• 3 months later...

I wonder what Fuwa is reading nowadays. What are you reading right now? What's your favorite genre? Favorite book? The next book you plan on getting?

Personally, I've started reading sci-fi, and I'm beginning with the classics. (I've posted a list of the books I have right now to read below.) I just recently (as in a few hours ago) finished Isaac Asimov's Foundation. It felt more like politics than sci-fi, but I found myself liking it nonetheless. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10 and the next book looks far more promising, it's called Foundation And Empire. My favorite sci-fi book so far is Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, it probably has the funniest writing of all the books I've ever read.

My favorite book overall is The Hunger Games, I read it when I was in 6th grade and it blew my mind. Looking back on it though, it isn't as great to a high schooler me than it was to the sixth grader me. 

I've been on a book-buying spree for the last few weeks, and I've bought a book pretty much whenever I could. 

The ones I have to read and are in my possession:

Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)

Tau Zero (Poul Anderson)

Ringworld (Larry Niven)

Timescape (Gregory Benford)

Hyperion (Dan Simmons)

The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)

The Silmarillion (J.R.R. Tolkien)

(also a few young adult fiction novels)

The ones I play on buying as soon as I can:

Dune (Frank Herbert)

Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke)

Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)

2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthut C. Clarke)

Foundation And Empire (Isaac Asimov)

The ones I plan to buy later on:

Second Foundation (Isaac Asimov)

Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck)

The Caves Of Steel (Isaac Asimov)

The End Of Eternity (Isaac Asimov)

The City And The Stars (Arthur C. Clarke)

The First Men In The Moon (H. G. Wells)

Some books I'm not sure I can find in Turkey:

Mostly Harmless (Douglas Adams)

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress (Robert A. Heinlein)

2001: A Space Odyssey (mentioned above)

Flowers To Algernon (Daniel Keyes)