Win 7 -> Win 10. What should I prepare for in terms of VN?

castor212

Kinda need to upgrade, from 7 to 10.

Problem is, Im not sure how this'll impact all these VNs installed in my PC. What should I prepare for, and prepared against? Any tips and tricks for easy transition?

Also, is it true that you get to keep all files and installed program when upgrading?

Thanks in advance.

I didn't have any problems with Win10 and visual novels yet, but text hookers are trouble makers. Chiitrans sometimes crashes and ITH requires a new version called ITH_VNR.

I made a complete reinstall of Win10 on my own computer but I did upgrades on the ones from my parents and there weren't any problems with previously installed programs.

However, I have to run Paint Shop Pro in compatibility mode since it seems to crash quite often otherwise.

So most programs seem to run fine, but not all of them.

Yeah, everything stays in the same place, you even have a backup of your Win 7 installation, and the option to go back with the upgrade.

The Japanese locale is the exact same, but its menu now appears in a "Region" option under the Control Panel, that you now ("conveniently") have to access in the search bar down left.

12 hours ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Yes, applocale works fine

No t applocale, i dont use applocale, I mean changing it manually on the setting

8 hours ago, Okarin said:

Yeah, everything stays in the same place, you even have a backup of your Win 7 installation, and the option to go back with the upgrade.

The Japanese locale is the exact same, but its menu now appears in a "Region" option under the Control Panel, that you now ("conveniently") have to access in the search bar down left.

ooh, thats nice

So, uh, this got nothing to do with VNs, but does all WIndows setting get kept too?

...long ago a wise man told his human scum-like followership to simply get themselves more than one computer, each having a different os installed, ready, so they could keep on drawning in what´s called the realms of eternal neetism...

19 hours ago, Narcosis said:

>kinda need to upgrade

No, you don't. Unless you're that tiny percent of userbase, which works on specialized software, there's no need for W10. Not yet.

Win10 has one big advantage at least in comparison to Win7. You can DPI scale the screen on the fly which works like an image zoom. This is very convenient if you're playing Japanese VN's with a text hooker. Since you can't use fullscreen mode for those because you need the translation window next to it, the VN windows get often very small because they use rather low resolutions. In this case you can set DPI scaling to something like 125% to increase the window sizes. I use that with Lovely & Cation to get its Window almost to full screen size. Since it's a 4:3 resolution game, there's still perfect space for the translation window next to it.

Though newer titles often don't need such tricks. The Walkure Romanze series or AliceSoft's new Tsumamigui 3 for example use either high resolution art assets and/or very good scaling methods so that their windows can simply be resized to higher resolutions.

3 hours ago, Silvz said:

jesus, yeah, you keep everything like it was on Windows 7. Nothing changes, just the major changes from windows 10. Most vns work, and the ones that don't, didn't use to work on windows 8, so it is not 10's fault

Okay, sorry if i am repeating myself.

ANyway, my mind's calmed down now. Much thanks everyone.

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Win10 has one big advantage at least in comparison to Win7. You can DPI scale the screen on the fly which works like an image zoom. This is very convenient if you're playing Japanese VN's with a text hooker. Since you can't use fullscreen mode for those because you need the translation window next to it, the VN windows get often very small because they use rather low resolutions. In this case you can set DPI scaling to something like 125% to increase the window sizes. I use that with Lovely & Cation to get its Window almost to full screen size. Since it's a 4:3 resolution game, there's still perfect space for the translation window next to it.

Though newer titles often don't need such tricks. The Walkure Romanze series or AliceSoft's new Tsumamigui 3 for example use either high resolution art assets and/or very good scaling methods so that their windows can simply be resized to higher resolutions.

Or you could learn Japanese and play fullscreen like a real weeb man :SmallKappa: