Steam to remove paid mods section just after 5 days.

madvanced

After much controversy relating to the paid mod section on Skyrim's steam workshop, valve decided to pull the plug on the feature and will refund anyone that has purchased a mod fully.

If they didn't try to take such a big cut out of the profit, they may have had success. But at least this sets the good precedent that if the consumer isn't alright with something it has no reason to continue to be done.

Good guy Gaben (??) strikes again.

I liked the idea of modders being able to get paid for their hard work, but the percentages were really messed up and there were some really pricey as hell mods for no reason that almost made you pay double for a game, leading one to speculate if there would be any form of control on these paid mods.

I still think Steam should allow modders to have some form of compensation, maybe through optional donations, kind of like a tip jar.

Paid mods is something the consumer clearly doesn't want, which I understand, especially with those messed up percentages, so all in all this is a nice turnout.

Do you have a source for this?  Just to be sure.  It's a controversial issue and I'd rather see if there's anything official that's been said before taking it as fact.

http://steamcommunity.com//games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Gaben also held a Q&A on Reddit a while back addressing all this stuff and it seems he understood people were pretty pissed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/33uplp/mods_and_steam/?sort=qa

Honestly, I would have preferred it if Valve had made something decent out of the whole ordeal, but since they apparently can't or don't want to put in the effort, better it just be removed altogether.

They will probably make a second attempt at some point down the road. New ideas don't grow on trees and continuing to bolt on sloppy fixes to the existing system would have made things worse. It's best to take the whole system down while brainstorming how to do it better next time, or if there is a way to do it without pissing people off at all.

Good riddance, we don't need another cesspool of junk on steam. The idea itself wasn't bad, but they need a system or at least a small staff to quality check the mods before hand. Leaving it to the consumer to police the mods just won't do. If they want to try this again another day they should do it after thoroughly thinking it through. 

Good guy Gaben (??) strikes again.

I liked the idea of modders being able to get paid for their hard work, but the percentages were really messed up and there were some really pricey as hell mods for no reason that almost made you pay double for a game, leading one to speculate if there would be any form of control on these paid mods.

I still think Steam should allow modders to have some form of compensation, maybe through optional donations, kind of like a tip jar.

Paid mods is something the consumer clearly doesn't want, which I understand, especially with those messed up percentages, so all in all this is a nice turnout.

the Nexus already has that, (A donation option)

And while i dont mind the idea of paying for mods i do mind the way valve has implemented it.

There was potential in the idea behind paid mods but Steam does such an awful job of quality control it would've gone up Shit Creek the moment it started, so perhaps this is for the best. 

It already kinda did.  Almost every mod was poorly made, ie the weapons didn't look right when you held them because they clipped through your character's hands, most of the armors were only for men and weren't wearable by the Beast Races without screwing up how they looked, none of the weapons, besides the crowbar, had a mission to get them through and all had to be spawned through console commands, almost all of the weapons were overpowered and made the game too easy unless you modded it to be harder...the list goes on.  Look at this post if you want to get an idea of the quality of the paid mods that were for sale.  Admittedly, some of them were decent, but they were definitely overcharging for them, but considering the system in place, either they got crap or they overcharged, so I can't really blame them.

So what's your opinion on the topic?

9e50f6d3add76a699c4a4e150128c8ea.png

Not very good at explaining my feeling's by typing them down so here's a video by Jim Sterling, If your wondering i'm a 100% on board with everything Jim say's. And I'll link a video by Gopher concluding the whole ModGate thing (Note i do not fully agree with some of Gopher's opinion's on "ModGate" he's opinion's on ModGate are in this video)