Dies Irae anime crowdfunding

Down

So uh... it seems like Light will be launching a crowdfunding (30 mo yen) for an anime adaptation of Dies Irae.

Seems kinda out of nowhere. I guess the crowdfunding is just to test the water because with 30 million yen you won't produce much more than a 30 minute OVA, but well...

I don't know much about production costs - but I'm surprised that's not enough money for a season. I mean, That's not a small amount regardless of conversion rates~

EDIT: nm, it's about 300k u.s. heh - but still, should be an easy goal if they accept overseas funding.

EDIT 2: actually, maybe they are just testing the waters - could be they want to see how much interest fans have in a potential series, so they'll use crowdfunding to check things out - and if it does well, they may have local big money (various media groups etc) invest in them if it looks stable enough.

there is no way to make a good anime from a vn that it's >50 hours long even less when it's a really mature one, all the vns that were adapted into anime are crap or average at best and heavily censored, so meh. Just translate the damn vn :P

Mostly true - but there are exceptions - just look at UFOtable's UBW, it's done a pretty solid job so far (mind you they split it into two seasons, and focused on the single route).

I don't know much about production costs - but I'm surprised that's not enough money for a season. I mean, That's not a small amount regardless of conversion rates~

Japanese 2D animation is actually very cheap, but it still involves lots and lots of people. Your average TV anime episode will cost around 10 million yen, up to 20-25 million for big productions.

Wow, just as I start playing Dies Irae this is announced. Cool. I don't really have any expectation that this will meet the standard of properly adapting the whole work (unless it turned out to be a 50-episode series or something), but I believe that it will be quality either way. More like I have faith in it to be, since this is Light and their ambition we're talking about here.. And at least the prospect of a Dies Irae anime is something to majorly fanboy over even if it turns out awry. Seems like absolutely nothing could go wrong here. : >

30 million yen? To adapt ALL of it?

I don't think so.

Then again, it probably is just to test the waters. No point in making an anime adaptation if nobody is interested.

If this did become a reality, I would then be faced with the problem of whether or not I would watch it before reading it. I don't know if I could bring myself to watch it before reading Dies. I doubt I could, so I would probably have to read it first.

'Course, this would be great for other people who don't ever plan on reading it, already have read it, or just don't care what they experience first. :P

I think they want to branch out to anime as well. Nitroplus and 5pb. seem to be doing well.

But it should be something new, no need to port this masterpiece to anime.

The only acclaimed anime Nitroplus made were Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass and Madoka Magica, all of which were in 2011-2013, so I wouldn't exactly say they're doing well, they haven't made a good anime in two years and the latest anime they produced was extremly poorly received.

And unless Dies Irae is going to be 2 cour or longer (which it won't be with this amount of money at least) I wouldn't count on having a successful adaptation.

You don't need a *huge* budget to do a good anime, you need a good staff. But those 30 million yen are obviously not for a TV series - not unless it's a producer bait.

Basically another UBW. Just how well off is Light? do they stand out like Type-Moon? Or is asking silly - as they are seeking crowdfunding in the first place? lol.

No eroge company can casually churn out the money to make an anime, even though light fares pretty well among them (Masada games tend to sell in the five digits). Except maybe Type-Moon but they're not fronting the money either, the main producing company for UBW is Aniplex.

They need to attract the eye of one of those big companies if they wanna make a TV series, basically.

If you count across all the versions, I think I recall Dies Irae selling somewhere in the area of just short of seven digits... but that's over more than five years, with regular re-prints... it is one of those VNs a chuuni-fanatic just has to inject into a new, innocent soul...

Edit:  That said, I'm kind of surprised that they would do this... Light has really been pushing the limits on milking Masada lately...