Fuwanovel Video Game Club

Kurisu-Chan

I will keep my vote for One Way Heroics for the rogue-like but I'll also put my vote towards one of the metroid or castlevania games for the retro platform game. (I didn't see anyone even show interest in the "godzilla" game I offered). that saying I rather dislike platform games in general so couldn't care less really what get picks although I would prefer if it were not megaman.

No love for rock pushin dinosaurs I suppose

that saying I rather dislike platform games in general so couldn't care less really what get picks although I would prefer if it were not megaman.

Ouch, right in the childhood. :cry: Eh, it's fine. I guess not everyone's gonna take to it as well as I do. It's been too long for me to remember how the story went, but I thought the boss fights were really fun, and I thought it was kinda cool getting to take boss' forms when you beat them. 

(I didn't see anyone even show interest in the "godzilla" game I offered).

I'm sure Godzilla's a great game, I just never really thought it had anything interesting going for it. There were times where he destroyed the city, and there were times where he was defending the city from another monster that was parading in on his destruction. I've always been more of a Spiderman or X-Men guy when it came to action. I feel that Godzilla is just a little too simple and straightforward in comparison.

I've only played Harmony of Dissonance in the Castlevania series, and I thought it was pretty decent. There were a lot of times where I got really frustrated with the game, but my talents were a little bit lacking back in my middle school days. If I got back into it now, there's a chance I might like it more.

Castlevania spoiler:

You have to fight Maxim twice in that game, right? I think I remember losing after challenging him the 2nd time on numerous tries, and then I just quit. ;_; Kinda sucks because I put so many hours into trying to beat it, lol.

Since the votes seem to be piling up for Metroidvania stuff I'd like to cast my vote toward the Castlevania side of things. Symphony of the Night is probably the all-around best and most famous of them, but if not everyone is sure they can run a PS1 emulator Aria of Sorrow is also incredibly solid so I'll second either of those. I originally voted for Circle of the Moon because I wasn't sure if people wanted to get all RPG-y with this but since everyone looks to be okay with it I'd definitely pick AoS or SotN over CotM.

If we aren't completely sure if we're participating, would we still be able to recommend some games?

The only games I have that are rogue-like that I can think of is... (I haven't finished them)

Wii - Final Fantasy Chocobo Dungeon

PS3 - Guided Fate Paradox

PSVita - Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God

Might as well join.  I mean, I have free time, an internet connection and a bunch of Steam games, so why not?

I vote for The Binding of Isaac as the rogue-like, even though technically it's a rogue-lite  :P  Played that game soooooo much.  Actually made little figurines and a bust of a Gaper in my high school ceramics class.  It's my favorite rogue-lite of all time ^_^  Also, I put forward Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Advance for platformer, whichever one people might like more or have an easier time emulating.

That isn't even remotely silly as retro Disney platformers were all really good. However I do think this category was a little broad and I'm looking forward to how the picking is going to work next round. It's kind of weird to have simple platformers like Mario or Magical Quest competing with Metroidvanias and puzzle platformers like Godzilla.

I don't wanna vote for Aria of Sorrow, really. That thing's pretty easy. Though I have to say, the mechanics were good.

Same as with Castlevania: SoTN. I played that back when I was, what, 6 or 7 years old? It's still my favorite, hands down. I'd recommend Harmony of Dissonance or Circle of the Moon because I think they'll be more of a challenge than Aria of Sorrow.

Alright. I have come to my decision. 

Modern Club: One Way Heroics (Log ~3 hours of playtime)

Retro Club: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Log ~3 hours of playtime)

Discussion threads will be up in one week

We will begin choosing our next games around the end of the month. Both threads will have an update when that time comes. 

I just stumbled on this thread (I actually first read the "locked" version of this thread/topic before finding this one) for the first time. I hope I'm not too late to join~

As a fan of retro games, I don't mind trying out any game, as long as it's easily accessible on my end. If it isn't, I'll just pass up it up until the next round~

I used to play a lot of games on emulators (mainly the SNES for classic RPGs and GBA games for Advance Wars, Golden Sun and Mother 3) and I hope to play games that I have yet to play, but yeah, I find this thread quite interesting. I'm looking for a new addiction anyway~

Since we all have our different tastes in genres, I think it might be hard to find a game that looks fun that none of us have tried. It could be a bit complicated to derive a list since we don't know who played what, but a poll of suggested games could be interesting. I hope we all get to try something new and fresh, regardless if the game is retro or recently made~

So about the current game, I played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night but not AoS, so that's a great start :D

You dont have to complete the game. I'm just trying to keep everyone at an even pace so discussions dont spoil story related issues with other games (such as a jrpg or something)

I'm assuming we play up to around 3 hours, but is that considered the minimum or the limited playtime? I need to know just in case if get too immersed into finishing the game and end up being afraid of spoiling anything to those who haven't finished the game even by the end of the event.

i started playing it and im stuck, there is no way to jump to the other side, even leveling up is no helping.

p.s killed a boss at level 1

Are you at the part where

there is a gap up a long ascension with birds and skeletons in the way?

To get past that part, you need a soul from a bat( I think it was a bat), then you equip it by pressing START and choosing "Soul switch", which lets you jump farther.

i started playing it and im stuck, there is no way to jump to the other side, even leveling up is no helping.

p.s killed a boss at level 1

Look for special pillar/stand things to break. You'll know them when you see them. They give you specialty souls that allow you to do things like jump and hang in the air, which should open up new paths to you. None of the souls you need to progress will come from enemies.