Fuwanovel Video Game Club

Kurisu-Chan

• Eclipsed unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Um.

Anyone interested in joining up if this started up again?

While I was here this was one of my favorite things from Fuwa and I really enjoyed it.

I'd be more than happy to take over running it. I now have Steam and all the emulators so I can play anything we decide on.

If people are interested I'm thinking instead of Genre we pick a Retro and Recent game based on themes like 'Good Story' 'Good Soundtrack' 'Good Characters' etc. Each time we'd pick one theme (IE: Good Story) and people would propose Retro and Recent games that come to mind when they think of that theme. Then in the discussion we'd talk about that specific point, rather than the game as a whole. Why was the story good? What parts of it did we enjoy the most? Etc. etc. I think this will be interesting for looking into what it is we like about games in general without needing to limit ourselves to a certain type of game.

What do folks think?

I'll give it a try if a critical mass signs up. I've been mostly stuck in a rut on traditional video games for quite a while, and I've got a fair bit of time on my hands at the moment, so playing what other people suggest would probably be good for me.

As far as selection categories, I think broad selection themes (e.g., good music, good plot, ...) are better than genres (e.g., fighting games, FPS, ...), since you're more likely to hit on what more people find interesting. Not so sure about limiting the discussion to that theme, but I don't mind either way, I suppose.

I missed the other thread, but it's nice to have you back, @Getsuya!

I'm totally in for the game club reboot as the previous one was really fun while it lasted. 

And I also agree that looser "themes" are better than limiting selection to genres. It's way easier to be prejudiced against a genre, and plus when you choose by more abstract concepts you usually find more interesting and unconventional games.