Fuwanovel Video Game Club

Kurisu-Chan

I'm really enjoying it as well. But I'm a little intimidated by the myriad of upgrade options. :nervous:

Unit upgrading doesn't really change throughout the series and if you follow the golden rule of:

Real robots get mobility and Energy, Super Robots get HP, Energy and Armor, Upgrade everyone's 'signature' weapon damage.

you should be fine (spoilered in case people want to suss out the best ways to upgrade for themselves)

However, this is my first time dealing with pilot upgrades, since the older games that I played didn't allow you to customize pilots. You really have to think hard about what each character's 'job' is going to be and build them accordingly.

Also, the whole weapon-swapping thing is completely new. Since other SRW games involve mechs from anime usually they'll only have the canonical weapons from their anime equipped, but since OG is all original units they can trade weapons and stuff and equip upgraded weapons. That really blew my mind, and it makes it so you can keep the 'grunt' units relevant.

The Alpha series and MX have the original Evangelion and the original movies. L for the DS and the later Z games have the new Evangelion reboot movies.

MX and Alpha are both very good starting points in SRW. MX is a stand-alone title with a lot of stuff that wasn't in other games (and less emphasis on Gundam, which all the other games have). Alpha is the start of a series of 4 games that determined a large chunk of the 'canon' for the SRW universe. While playing OG you'll run into tons of Alpha stuff (along with a bunch of Impact stuff, but we don't talk about Impact). Also Alpha goes through the whole Evangelion story, including the anime and original movies.

If you're a fan of the new Eva stuff you can start from Z-2. Z-2 and Z-3 cover the plots of the three remake movies.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd second this if we made it a Nuzlocke Challenge. I only ever had fun with Pokemon the one time I tried out the challenge. It really makes you appreciate all the mechanics in the game as well as each Pokemon you meet.

I have no idea what that is, but it would probably interest me as well.

Though I'm only playing Moemon.

I have no idea what that is, but it would probably interest me as well.

Though I'm only playing Moemon.

Moemon+Nuzlocke challenge would actually be amazing and heartbreaking.

Nuzlocke Challenge has two rules:

1. You may only catch and keep the first Pokemon you run into in each new area

2. If a Pokemon faints it is 'dead' and you must release it

There are varying levels of difficulty, like just putting Pokemon into storage instead of releasing them, not counting duplicates if you run into the same Pokemon first in two different areas, whether you can use items or not and Pokemon centers or not, whether you perma-die if you ever lose all your Pokemon or stuff like that, but the main two rules are always constant.

It's suggested that you name all your Pokemon too since it helps you form a stronger bond with them.

Basically a Nuzlocke Challenge forces you to work with what you have and treat your Pokemon more carefully than you would if you were just playing normally. It makes them feel more like actual pets and less like just numbers that you throw at other numbers. Just imagining doing that with Moemon and I think I'd legit cry if any of them died.