Best/Worst Dubbed Anime

Heizei_koukousei

I'm quite bored so I think I'll start a new thread.

Tell everyone about some anime that you thought had a particularly good dub, and some anime you thought had a terrible dub. Let's avoid a sub vs. dub discussion, because that isn't the topic for this thread

Here is a few anime that I thought had a particularly good dub:

Maria Holic

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Cowboy Bebop

Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler)

Mushishi

And some bad dubs:

xxxHOLiC

Special A, Deadman Wonderland (Anything with Monica Rial)

Rosario Vampire

The quality of voice acting and the cast (Funimation be damned) have a lot to do with it... but that's a given. I think that certain elements in anime call for a dub, the best examples of these are Black Butler and Spice and Wolf where the anime takes place in a European setting. I find that it doesn't really make sense for everyone talking in moonspeak in these

I only watched segments of them, but I believe that Clannad and Welcome to the NHK are my least favorite dubs. In the latter, I think the main reason was because of ****ing Greg Ayres, whose voice makes me want to punch pandas in 95% of his roles. The moment in episode 2 when I heard his voice, I was like, "Screw this, Ima read the manga."

Anyway, anything with Michael Tatum, including Black Butler and Spice and Wolf as you mentioned, are great. (Brina Palencia, who can do an astonishing range of voices, is also in both.) He also stars in Ouran Host Club, which has an excellent dub despite including Greg Ayres.

In my opinion, the best dub of all is Hetalia, regardless of what one thinks of the show itself. All the accents are spot-on, a factor that I'm sure doesn't do as well in Japanese. That show also uses some good voice actors, such as Todd Haberkorn.

Another show of note is School Rumble. All the voice actors are quite appropriate, but I find that Brandon Potter, the main character, is the most prominent.

I only watched segments of them, but I believe that Clannad and Welcome to the NHK are my least favorite dubs. In the latter, I think the main reason was because of ****ing Greg Ayres, whose voice makes me want to punch pandas in 95% of his roles. The moment in episode 2 when I heard his voice, I was like, "Screw this, Ima read the manga."

Overall I thought the dub for Clannad was done well. Greg Ayres was perfect for Sunohara in Clannad, he brought out the idiotic essence that Sunohara represents

Dubs I really liked:

Baccano!

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist (both series)

Rurouni Kenshin

The Slayers, Next, Try, and Revolution/Evolution R (was really happy when Funimation got the original core VAs back for the new series)

Hellsing

Dubs I thought sucked:

One Piece 4Kids dub

Bible Black (yeah, hentai OVA but I've heard at least decent dubs on that front)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Majikoi

Death Note's dub is so good I refuse to watch it subbed. :P  Monster also has a really good dub (a quarter of the way through I switched from watching it subbed to dub).

The worst dub I have heard is the Revolutionary Girl Utena dub. Which is a shame because the anime is my top favorite. Also, ironically the Japanese dub is among the best I have ever heard. 

Here is an example of the English dub: (The speaking scene starts at around 1:50).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PFyENeX5hE

By the way, here is an example of the same character spoken in the Japanese version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8n_zqYXMA

It seems like an average performance at first, but the actress's brilliance really shows when the character goes kind of crazy at the end of the scene. 

The best dub I've seen is Shakugan no Shana.  From what I could see it was pretty well done.

And the worst I've seen is Highschool DxD. It's pretty much the worst you can find because the dub, due to it's dialogue, ripped out the largest relationship-development plot point in the entire series. Those who have watched the dub, and have read the Light Novels know exactly what I'm talking about here.

I still wish for a dubbed Dragonball Kai with the newer episodes, since in Japanese I am only hearing the same voice actress (and that on itself is already a problem, but she is voice acting muscular guys!) 

I heard one time the English dub of Naruto and shut it off right away... It sounded so terrible! (I'm virtually only watching my anime subbed)