Your first VN experience

Wolfscythe

Koihime Musou :D. Thing is i didn't even know vns exsisted until i randomly wandered upon MangaGamer when looking for RotK stuff. I then tried the demo, played it straight through the end, instantly bought it and had a 19 hour marathon, and then finished it over the course of a week. That was a great time.

• 1 month later...

I first got to know about VNs approximately 3~4 years ago? I was underage back then but hey who cares you can Google "p**n" and get like over 1,000,000 results or something.

Aaaanyway, my first VN was Monster Musume. I don't remember why the hell I picked that as my very first VN come to think of it. My first VN that had actually had multiple endings with choices that actually mean something was Soranica Ele. Boring, dull, weird story, and overall kinda bad VN that had no popularity or whatsoever but it was my first nonetheless. I used Araltrans because there were no translated version of it. Currently I'm playing Erect! (with Araltrans of course, and I posted a topic about translating the novel).

I surely said it somewhere... but anyway...

The reason i know waste my times with VN's and Anime (I don't actually waste it because i enjoy it ;) ) is Go! Go! Nippon! . I found it on Steam at the beginning of this year. I was so bored by the "normal" Games and their storylines, so i tried it. It surely is no masterpiece but it took me in this world now ;). After that i played Yume Miru Kusuri, that wasn't really my taste. But with the beginning of Rewrite I was totally involved in the whole stuff and ended here :D ...

Greetz

Technically, my first VN was Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I loved it. It is still one of (as in, second or first place) my favorite video game franchises, period.

The thing is, I definitely didn't see it as a VN when I was playing it. I saw it as more of a Japanese take on the "Adventure Game" genre, with all the pixel hunting and moving from location to location. I still see it as more of an Adventure game than a VN, but hey, if it's under the VN label too, it certainly doesn't hurt me in any way.

The first time I consciously played a VN was Katawa Shoujo.

And my god, that game.

I happen to be a burn victim with severe scarring, and the first route I played (entirely by chance) was Hanako's route,and it blew me away. I have some very similar social anxiety problems (though not as severe) and deal with the self-consciousness that comes with having burn scars on a daily basis. I'm lucky in that my scarring is restricted to my legs, so I can cover it up, but I still felt an extremely close connection to Hanako. I feel like they tackled the issues someone with severe scarring goes through fairly well. 

I actually wrote an in-depth blog post about my personal reaction to the game as a burn victim on another site (along with the details of my accident), maybe I'll link to it on Fuwanovel sometime. That time is not now, though. Not quite ready yet, I want to be a bit more established here before I go spilling my guts in such a transparent way.

Needless to say, any reservations I had about enjoying the VN genre were totally gone after that experience, and I got a lot more  into it. Finding out that the Ace Attorney games are also considered Visual Novels just cemented my interest even further.

I had a friend who had a longtime ploy to get me into Type Moon stuff so that I would one day read the VNs and get into VNs. It went exactly as he planned. Watched Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero  then I met someone in college who knew how to download VNs. Got my hands on Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night. I enjoyed them enough I tried another VN recommended to me called Muv Luv. After that I couldn't go back

My first proper vn was G-senjou no Maou. 

I vaguely remember playing some other partial vns before, but dont remember them properly.

I stumbled upon vns while browsing through the net. I had seen it mentioned 4-5 times before actually checking what it was. Then I searched for 'best vns' and Devil on G-string piqued up my interest so I read it and have been reading vns since.

My first VN was True Love an awesome DOS game... But don't get me wrong, I'm still young... I was just surfing the net for hentai flash game ,and lo and behold, a free dos game... It was not your present VN where in you just read the text and select one of the choices presented which will determine your heroine route. It was a dating sim like infused with good story. The route of the heroine is determine by the stats you have accumulated during your selected activity each day. The stats are art, intelligence, fashion, strength, and health (awesome sick visit event).

Even if it's pixelated, the art is very decent despite the year it was released. However, there is no voice. But the gameplay and story make out for it. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the first visual novel before Paradise Heights. I really recommend to play this game before you die!!! XD

I actually bought a copy of Yume Miru Kusuri in 2008 from a thrift store for USD$10.  The owner said he had no idea what the game was about, but that is was rated Adults Only, and he wanted it gone.  Apparently it was too much work to read the cover, but hey, I got a good deal on it.  That was probably the one that got me interested in VNs.

First VN-esque game I ever played was Snatcher for Sega CD.  I loved the story - futuristic crime with just enough twist to make it exciting.

True Love is one of my favourites.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has a whole article on the game if you're interested in it. He talks about the connection to VENUS and shows some screenshots of characters that would most likely have appeared in a sequel.

Like this one:

truelove-select-4.png

Oh my god she looks like a bitch! Man now I want a sequel.

My first VN was good old Seasons of the Sakura. That was one of the first games I "found" on one of my first outings on the internet all the way back in early 2001/2002. People talking about playing Katawa Shoujo as their first just makes me feel old.

True Love is one of my favourites.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has a whole article on the game if you're interested in it. He talks about the connection to VENUS and shows some screenshots of characters that would most likely have appeared in a sequel.

Like this one:

truelove-select-4.png

Oh my god she looks like a bitch! Man now I want a sequel.

My first VN was good old Seasons of the Sakura. That was one of the first games I "found" on one of my first outings on the internet all the way back in early 2001/2002. People talking about playing Katawa Shoujo as their first just makes me feel old.

My first VN was Phoenix Wright... if you can call it one. Eh, it probably doesn't count. So in that case, my first "real" VN was probably Fate/Stay Night several years ago. Then after that, I read almost nothing for a long while. I wasn't against the idea of visual novels or anything, but I just wasn't familiar enough with them and sort of scoffed at the idea of reading romance oriented stories, which most VNs are. Well, a disproportionate amount of translated ones aren't, especially several years ago, but I didn't really know that at the time. Eventually on a total lark I decided to watch a romance shoujo anime, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, which I actually kind of enjoyed a little and led me to periodically watching other romance shows or shows with romantic elements, such as going back to watch Eden of the East. Then some time last year I watched Clannad because I saw a lot of recommendations for it and enjoyed it a whole lot. I learned it was an adaptation of a VN and got back into the format, I became totally absorbed by almost all genres of visual novels, enjoying stuff I couldn't possibly imagine enjoying a few years ago. I don't remember what the first VN I read in this resurgence was, maybe G-Senjou no Maou? Thinking about it, it could have possibly served as a gateway drug for romance themed VNs when I was still thinking of only reading story games, as it bridges that gap somewhat well.

Since people are counting DS adventure games, I can technically go back further than the games I mentioned here earlier: I'm pretty sure I played Hotel Dusk a year or 2 before downloading True Remembrance. I didn't know what it was back then, but to this day it's still one of my favorite games, VN or otherwise.

My first Visual Novel was Katawa Shoujo back in late July '14 (Yeah, that's not a long time ago ^^) and it's been my favourite since then. I wasn't able to listen to the OST until recently without crying in my bed in foetus position sucking my hair... Yeah I'm emotive sometimes :D

That's the game that really got me into Visual Novels ^^

my first VN was katawa shoujo. although it was purely on impulse when my friend stopped playing lol suddenly and said im going to play this game, and it sounded intersting so i tried it. i played it on christmas eve last year. One of the best christmases ever! for many reasons but Katawa shoujo defintly helped. Shizune is of course the best girl as well. : P