Heroine Priority List Change During the Game

j2.dless

Is it just me or do you also experience changing your priority list of "capturing" heroines during the game? I tend to change my list whenever I have sympathy for the effort of a heroine in getting close(clingy) to the protagonist (like Suou Amane in Grisaia no Kajitsu), or whenever I feel there is a very negative event that will come which discourages me to continue (like what happened while I was playing Li Shuhua in Quartett!).

Since I rarely pick out a heroine before I begin the VN, it is very likely that I'll switch back and forth between ones I'm interested before the end.  I do avoid the main heroine on the first go-through, if possible.  The main reason is that some VNs favor the main heroine so much that after you've played her path, you can't evaluate the others honestly.

As an example... Witch's Garden (currently being translated).  The main heroine's story in that one is longer, more involved, and more emotionally developed than the other paths.  As a result, if you play her path first, the rest of the paths suffer to varying degrees in subjective terms. 

In Konakana, Chris's path is considered to be the main one, and it shows.  I won't spoil it, but the sheer drama of that path is in a different class than the other paths.  However, since the overall VN quality is so high (in storytelling terms), the other paths aren't dissatisfying in comparison... they just don't have as extreme an impact. 

This is the primary reason why the first part of a VN is generally where I'm spending time searching out the main heroine, so I can avoid her path like the plague, lol. 

I don't usually build a priority list pregame, i usually check the character's profiles and usually think i'd probably like this one best, but i don't have a preset mentality about which girls I want first.

I start the game and see which one makes me think she's the cutest and the one i'd like best, granted that I might like one better at the beginning and then another heroine might sway me later, that's happened before.

So generally i'm easily swayed in game despite not having a priority list.

I see, VN gamers have different approaches, like how to kill a chicken... I actually make a list from 1st heroine as my 2nd best pick and the last heroine as my best pick. If this is to be compared to a meal, I like to have an appetizer at first, then go to the main course (filling up the stomach), and lastly the dessert to save the best for last. In the main course, I can change the order depending on the taste (still using the meal metaphor). If the taste is bad, avoid it or just skip through and read the important parts (I can't explain in words). If there is an interesting character (out of sympathy or curiosity), I give them high priority.

Yeah, this is problematic. For that reason, I really dislike it when some VNs force you to make choices toward a particular route even before all of the heroines are introduced, or introduced properly. Good thing skip buttons exist.

After playing a bit of the common and evaluating which heroine I seem to like best at a first look, I tend to leave them for either last or second last, depending whether there is a true heroine or not. Of course I do make a general assumption on what they may be like from their looks and make an internal note on who I clicked the most with and compare it with what the heroine then shoes through the common before making the final choice. Although I don't mind that enforced play orders screw up this approach because they are intended that way for a reason.

I usually prefer to save the main heroine and/or the girl I predict will be my favorite for the last playthrough. But, I don't pay too much attention to that and sometimes change the order on a whim.

If the VN has a recommended route order of some kind, I stick to that though. It's almost always the best for the story.

I usually seek out some generally agreed upon route order and stick to it. If I don't do that, I'll usually go with the most personally appealing heroine first (if she isn't the main one that is) and then save the main heroine for last. That's just to attempt to start on an at least an okay note and end on the strongest one. 

The first time I start reading a VN, unless it is completely linear, I would just pick choices that I normally would. Even if I get the bad endings and such. I only start picking second time round so I never switch my heroine choices when reading Vns.

I do the same as nohman and katatsumuri, I usually just look for a recommended route order, else I start with a heroine that I liked, so that I'm sure to get hooked and not drop the VN in the middle of the route, and keep the most plot centered / main heroine route for last.

Eh, to an extent. I usually read routes in order of preference, occasionally ignoring some I don't think I'll enjoy. How much I like a girl's personality is the main factor in how much I enjoy a route, but situational factors are also part of it. If either of those things change my priority may change with it. I never planned to read Yumiko's route at the start, but decided to eventually. It overtook MIchiru's route in priority despite me liking Michiru as a character better.

I usually choose the routes according to my preference toward the girls, but then again, there are some instances when this trail of thought can't apply itself. As with the case of Fate/Stay Night, we are forced to finish the heroines' routes in a linear way, starting with Saber, then Rin, then Sakura, then ultimately leading to The Last Episode, which was included in Realta Nua.

However, in most cases, I'd choose according to the girl's appearance, attitude, presented backstory, interest level, and more. But sometimes, it doesn't benefit much, especially if the first girl I choose is supposedly the main heroine of the game. Some games make the main heroine's route so good that the other routes are like crumbs on the floor. For example, G-Senjou no Maou.

But all is according to the reader himself!

• 2 weeks later...

I already have my path set of which heroine routes i'll take before I read the VN. I use a recommend route list as a reference to go on and then take what I feel is good. I usually get into the friendly easy to get along with girls at first and then move on to the more harder to read girls cause that's my preference.