Veteran VN player incoming

hellish

Hello.

I don't know how I came across this forum, but I just find it hilarious that a group of western VN players gather together and talk about Japanese VN, with moe pics flying around the whole forum! To witness the once insurmountable cultural gulf between east and west easily shattered by the prodigious and absolute power of moe really brings tears down my cheek.

Anyway, I hail from China, but can understand English and Japanese just fine, so for me there's no excruciating wait for translation, just pick up a game and play! As a video game player, I ONLY read VN on gaming consoles (PS,XBOX,etc), not on PC. I bet few people here, if any, read VN on gaming console, so I may start a new thread later to talk about VN on gaming console.

So far I have read several famous VNs, like Ever17, Steins;Gate, Clannad, Tomoyo After, Little Busters, Sharin no Kuni, To Heart 2, 428, Root Double, DanganRonpa, Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, to name a few.

I love gripping story (doesn't really mean the story has to be thrilling or full of suspense, an interesting story transpiring in normal every day setting is just fine), but good character design and music are also satisfying to me if the story itself feels a bit lackluster.

I still have a long list of console VN in my to-read list, like Umineko, Muv-luv, Rewrite, Grisaia trilogy, White Album 2, Kono Oozora ni... Most of them are quite long, dunno when I can finish reading these all. Besides, new VNs keep coming out, so there's no end to this disaster, but at least I hope I can find haven in this forum, right?

welcome, and have fun

Qurious question why read them only on console?

Multiple reasons which I plan to state in another thread, but here's why:

1. I'm not interested at sexual content in VN. Console version has none and is always all age.

2. If a VN gets ported from PC to console, then it means the quality of the game is at least mediocre to warrant the port.

3. Console version is the complete/definite version, which often includes new content not seen in PC version, like new endings, new CG, new scenario, new heroine, new voice acting, etc.

I've played a handful of VN's on console, but I mostly stick to PC. You should get to Grisaia soon - it's really, really great :)

I've heard many good things about Grisaia both here in the west and in Japan. I can't wait to try it out myself, but currently only the first one Kajitsu is released on console, and from the Japanese review I've read, I may immediately want to continue to the next chapter the moment I finish the first one, so I'll wait until all 3 chapters are out on console then read them all.

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay!

You should read Higurashi before you read Umineko if you haven't already, I'm pretty sure it's available for PS2 and you'll enjoy Umineko more if you read Higurashi first. :)

Have a moe:

oinu.jpg

Thanks for the moe, Kud(yeah, my favorite heroine in Little Busters, and I have Kud Wafter on my to-read list).

I know Higurashi and Umineko come from the same author, but I believe these two VN have completely different settings, so how are they connected?

Thanks for the moe, Kud(yeah, my favorite heroine in Little Busters).

I know Higurashi and Umineko come from the same author, but I believe these two VN have completely different settings, so how are they connected?

There are a few references to Higurashi in Umineko but those don't really matter too much. The main reason why it's better to read Umineko later is because it's a step up from Higurashi. Higurashi will be less awesome if you read it after Umineko. That's the best way I can explain it.

Welcome to the forums mate

Here a free gift.

584cf61b65.jpg

welcome! well i'm not that old to the forum myself but I'll welcome you anyway. I wish I could read Japanese as well as you do to play those untranslated games.

Also, welcome to the forums too. Im also relatively new. Not new. Relatively new.

Osu!Osu! welcome n have fun

enjoy a pun and a pic

I don't trust these stairs because they're always up to something.

d09e1c4d3b.jpg

Do you like traps? If you do, you are one step closer to paradise on earth.
Read Sharin no kuni~~~ its my fav vn, and i hope you will like it too.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll have fun.

There might be a little gap between our VNs as most people here read VNs on a PC as there is very little translated console VNs but we all love VNs here so we will probably get along great.

And here's some MOE for a nice day:

651258_bigthumbnail.jpg