Colors and Symbolism

Greetings.

Newbie shiro-chan here.

So, I'm making this thread to talk about colors and what symbols and emotions are assigned to them. My favorite color is white. It's often used as a symbol of order, protection, community, purity, faith, justice, peace and such. It's sometimes used as a symbol of oblivion or nothingness as well. It can also be used to indicate servitude or authority in a militaristic or religious work.

I am completely fascinated by white, as I find myself liking all of it's meanings.

I wanted to know what was your favorite color and why? What is it used as a symbol of?

Color Symbolism is actually heavily dependant on what culture

relevant link that I found actually a month ago... http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/the-universal-cheat-sheet-matching-colors-with-cultures-worldwide.html // http://dailyinfographic.com/what-colors-mean-in-different-cultures-infographic

Depending on the culture, white can mean: children, death, happiness,heaven, holiness, intelligence, luxury, marriage, mourning, peace, purity, respect, truce, trust

My favorite color is purple. Often symbolized with royalty,nobility, luxury, power and ambition. Also spirituality, the sacred, higher self, passion, fulfillment, and vitality. Purple helps align oneself with the whole of the universe.

I just don't know why I like it. It is something about the color that I like.

Edit: With one of zhurai links: (western)
Modesty, mystery, personal power, virtue, beuty, cruelty, decendence and flamboyance.

An interesting link. It makes me enjoy white even more- I liked each and every thing it's associated to that I was yet to know.

my favorite is red

now let's see:Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Red is a very emotionally intense color.

as for why i like it i'm really not sure myself XD

Mine is orange, which I think fits me quite well, since its relatively middle of the road. 

As HMN stated, red stands for blood, war, aggressiveness, and the like. Yellow can stand for optimism, but also betrayal and jealousy.  

Orange takes the middle road.  Symbolizing frivolity and fun but also caution and carefulness.  Symbolizing self entitlement, but not jealousy.  It symbolizes energy, optimism and confidence, but not to the point of war and aggression.   Perfect for someone who strives for temperance and moderation. 

Never thought about color symbolism, though looking at that link, my favorite color, purple, represents

Western/American: Beauty, Cruelty, Decadence, Flamboyance, Modesty, Mystery, Personal Power, Virtue

Japanese: Celebration, Decadance, God, Insight, Mystery, Wisdom

Weird, the only parts that I am fond of are Modesty, Virtue and Wisdom. The first two are extremely important to me, especially modesty. Bolded for emphasis, modesty is one of the most important things to me I look for in a person. So, at least one of the meanings heavily fits me.

My favourite colour is blue. Apparently it represents cold, freedom, healing, intelligence, loyalty, rationality, and unhappiness in Western culture and cold, life, loyalty, money, peace, and rationality in Japanese culture. It's a pretty calm colour, so most of those are to be expected.

My favourite colors are blue, green, white and black. I'm not going to dwelve into the details, but I like blue because it reminds me of sky; green is the tone of hope and our world is mostly green as well. White represents purity and emptiness in most cultures, while black is often associated with solemnity and experience; it's also symbolic to death, decay and darkness.

my favorite is red

now let's see:Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Red is a very emotionally intense color.

as for why i like it i'm really not sure myself XD

OmGawwd My favorite color is red as well. When I was young I had this little red chair. I loved that chair...

And now, Even when time has pasted I still find myself attracted to the color red :D  

I love the color green. I guess I go for the more dark green to turquoise colors most of the time but I love pure green too.. especially in nature: it gives me a fresh feeling, and in times of darkness it also gives me a lot of hope (which is funny because thats actually its meaning too). I also love green eyes, they're beautiful.

Another color I really like is the more pinkish purple, but this is more because it looks a bit warmer and more colorful than green does.. I don't really have a feeling by seeing this color and didnt think about its meaning either, its just better to use on some occasions. The doors in my house are light purple...for example.

Purple Master race

There's no super deep meaning behind it, i think it's visually appealing, it's a color that's also not easily found in the nature in your everyday life, that makes me feel like it's rarer in a way, as a kid I've always liked purple as well because i usually never encountered the color so when I saw it in the wild I thought it was beautiful, it's just unique like that to me.

Actually searching for the symbolism of purple I found out that the color purple is used as a mourning color in some countries as opposed to the tipical black.

Due to its rarity in nature and difficult synthetization (talking about older times not present time) it used to be attributed to emperors and popes only.

Purple is only present in 2 flags in the entire world.

So I guess purple is like the diamond of the color spectrum  :P

Due to its rarity in nature and difficult synthetization (talking about older times not present time) it used to be attributed to emperors and popes only.

That's because people had to collect thousands of tiny shells and spend hours smashing them into pieces just for enough dye to make a single purple coat.  This was common starting around the 4th century BC when the Phoenician traders *continues on*

Thank you AP World History.

That's because people had to collect thousands of tiny shells and spend hours smashing them into pieces just for enough dye to make a single purple coat.  This was common starting around the 4th century BC when the Phoenician traders *continues on*

Thank you AP World History.

If you notice the parenthesis, I did say it was in older times not present time :P

This was just something I quickly googled anyway.

In present time of course it's much easier to synthetize any color.

But purple in nature is still a somewhat rare color.

That's why purple is also often associated with "synthetic", something that's fabricated and unnatural.

Somewhat on the topic:

Lavender is one of my favorite flowers, it smells nice~

Black. I used to be a really dark and lonely kid, the color not only suited me really well by the time but I also always felt safer when in the darkness as opposed to the natural fear it imposes. The color also represents a wide variety of things, it really depends on context and stuff like that, but some of the most popular ones would be evil, fear and madness. 

It's the ultimate color in the sense that it's formed of every other one,  they're all there but they won't define it. Using red as an example, it's usually the representation of anger, but when it becomes part of the black, it won't be only that anymore, it'll be part of something "bigger". Black takes every color, every meaning in order to create it's own, when I thought about this, my favorite color for life was already decided.