Help me regain interest

So lately, I've lost most of my interest into Visual novels.

I'm slowly losing interest into them.

I tried Muv-luv and hated the characters,

I tried Katahane but the story just never seemed to start at any point,

I tried Deardrops and it was too long for too much nothingness even though I liked the characters,

I tried (H-)rgp's like Rance or Kamidori, but that's just not my thing,

Kara no shoujo may be a game i'll finish.

Last thing I read was the excellent Planetarian which offered a short but touching story with a slice of peotry.

It may be asking for to much knowing it's Visual Novels we are talking about, but can you guys recommand me some game with, you know, something else.

Something that will interest me within the first hour of gameplay, something that will keep being interesting thanks to its plot/setting (like ever17) or because it is emotionnaly involving.

And if you could find a VN which has some kind of message to deliver or which has something to say that would be a welcomed bonus.

Favorite games : Planetarian, Ever17, Clannad. (Each one for a different reason)

So yeah, recommend me a game that'll help me regain interest into the genre ! Please :3

Argh..! Your tastes are too specific for me, I tend to like everything light-hearted, you seem to be looking for emotional and deep stories. Not my cup of tea...

Nevertheless, here's some suggestions:

Ever17 has a sequel and a prequel. Both of them are similar, although both are also different in some aspects.

Having played G-Senjou, it's a bit strange for you not to have played Sharin no Kuni, you might want to try that.

Good luck plowing through all the different suggestions and finding something you like.

Lemme see... I think my tastes have at least some connection to yours.

Narcissu has a prequel I think and you liked Narcissu according to vndb votes.

The upcoming MG release Eden* is frequently described as similar to Planetarian (maybe not as good though) so might be something.

Remember11 is pretty cool (also: has near no SoL compared to Ever17), though it is unfinished as in it has no true route (I haven't actually finished it yet). Also the mysteries are more hardcore to figure out, better keep a text file ready imo. Never7 is at least decent apparently

I/O was headed by one of Ever17's writers and is fairly good, though I personally think the mysteries might be just a bit too hardcore and the ending is of debateable quality.

999 is another obvious title to recommend to people who liked Ever17. It's problematic due to certain similarities to that novel (and I recommend reading Ever17 first for that reason), but I found it quite enjoyable even with that factored into the equation. Emulating it is quite easy (imo) if you don't own one of the consoles it's released on.

Higurashi is quite cool, but does have some fairly extensive SoL segments. They can be pretty funny though... that said, I'd wait for MG's re-translation (though that will probably take a while...).

More personal recommendation (that will only take you a day, though) is True Remembrance. I really liked it, to be honest. Kinda deepfaggy if you're into that.

Oh, and Tsukihime. That shit be good, arguably more interesting than Fate/Stay Night in some aspects (it doesn't really have the philosophy thing though.) Pretty dark VN, also has relatively little SoL from what I remember.

I'd recommend you lose interest entirely. But if you got nothing better atm, why not check out kara no shoujo.

The upcoming MG release Eden* is frequently described as similar to Planetarian (maybe not as good though) so might be something.

you don't want to start a war now do you? 14495725409_0661f8d041_o.png

key haters arriving in 30 seconds.

I see you haven't tried any of the Da Capo series, that's what I'd recommend. But you'll probably not be hooked to it in the first hour.

And also Sharin no Kuni, again, probably not hooked in the first hour, but it's worth the plot twists... VERY worth it, this one has the biggest plot twist I've ever seen, I wouldn't see that coming in a million years.

If you liked Ever 17 so much, then play 999 (closest thing to it), Remember 11 (same team, less slice of life and darker, but the ending is inconclusive) and Never 7 (weakest of the 3 games, but still a good read) If you have a vita or 3DS, play Virtue Last Reward too.

If you kinda liked Deardrops but thought it was perhaps too slow and didn't really go anywhere for most of the VN, perhaps try Kira Kira instead, another game about a band by the same developers. The common route has more of an adventurous feel to it and the heroine routes are better and more dramatic. Although still maybe not your cup of tea. I suggest you try out more story-heavy games like the recently translated CoμSekien no Inganock, and Fate/stay night.

Why do you want to force yourself to do something you don't want to?

Being burned out is usually a sign that you need to occupy your mind with something else or you're just going to make it worse.

I agree with crunchytaco.

Play some regular games or something else for a month or two. Get the inspiration to play VN back. I get these kind of ups and downs too. I am currently in one. I haven't touched a VN for 3 weeks. 

I haven't been reading much either this past year really...  Sometimes it feels like the best ones available are all behind me.

To repeat some of the titles that have been said:

999 and Virtue's Last Reward

Umineko no naku koro ni

Never7 and Remember11

Mystery, deep thinking, and more mystery.  Oh and plot twists.  Lots and lots of plot twists.

999 was recommended several times, I think that will be the one.

Also seem interesting : the infinity series, Sharin no Kuni and True rememberance.

Also thanks to all those who took the time to explain -even a little- why they recommended X or Y game to me.

That gives me a good stack of games to eventually work on.

And thanks to those who took the time to check my VNDB. *come on people*

Do you want Clephas' recommendations?  lol

Oh yeah sure, go for it, as long as it's in english ;)

999 was recommended several times, I think that will be the one.

Also seem interesting : the infinity series, Sharin no Kuni and True rememberance.

Also thanks to all those who took the time to explain -even a little- why they recommended X or Y game to me.

That gives me a good stack of games to eventually work on.

And thanks to those who took the time to check my VNDB. *come on people*

Oh yeah sure, go for it, as long as it's in english ;)

I'll do True Remembrance before a medium-long length VN because of its short length. Will quite set your VN reading mood.

Of course it will still depend on how you see the story.

Why do you want to force yourself to do something you don't want to?

Being burned out is usually a sign that you need to occupy your mind with something else or you're just going to make it worse.

Thats good advice, forcing yourself into playing something you don't want will not help you regain interest, It will only bore and frustrate you.