Where to buy English-Translated Visual Novels

Hackrabbits

MangaGamer is probably the most popular.

There aren't that many english VNs that get localized.

Your best option may be to just use VNDB and look for the novel you want and check if it's licensed by a company.

If it's licensed you will see next side the game the company that licensed it in english.

But just to make sure, scroll down until you see the english game's title and check that there's no "(patch)" tag next side it, this means the game was officially released in english.

If that is the case just click it and in the info you'll see there should be a link to that company's website with the respective product.

Example with Shuffle:

78eh.png

Click it and you should get info on it

GATnZnX.png

Click Official Website and you'll be re-directed to the product's page from the official site

Rightstuf (cheapest, but shipping may be expensive; slow to stock some titles; physical releases only)

J-List (I'll haunt you if you buy the Lucky Bag)

Mangagamer (has exclusive digital titles that can only be bought from them)

That should cover every localized game currently available at retail.

If you want to use the VNDB method, Mangagamer and JAST USA are the main English VN publishers.

As Nosebleed said not many VNs are available for the sale in English, But if you have money to spare you can bay Japanese ones and then add ENG patch to them (Just make sure that there is full ENG patch for that VN before you order it, you don't want to order VN just to later find out that there isn't one). But just so you know Japanese VNs are pretty expensive usually they are more than 100$ (dollars).

If you like what you see on JAST USA it's best to get the titles from right stuf as they sell the same titles for considerably cheaper.

As of December 9th it sounds like all hard copies that ManagaGamer released will all be available on their page, so you no longer have to buy them through j-list any more. I try my best not to deal with J-list as they over price most of their stuff.

MangaGamer I've grown to quite like. They have a strong community presence and release stuff on a regular basis, even if that stuff is mostly cheap nukige at least it's something and there are some good titles mixed in their lineup. The DRM on the digital titles is a bit odd, but when I contacted support about it they provided an honest and transparent answer to my inquiry and that was part of what helped win me over and just accept it.

Rightstuf (cheapest, but shipping may be expensive; slow to stock some titles; physical releases only)

J-List (I'll haunt you if you buy the Lucky Bag)

Mangagamer (has exclusive digital titles that can only be bought from them)

That should cover every localized game currently available at retail.

If you want to use the VNDB method, Mangagamer and JAST USA are the main English VN publishers.

"J-List (I'll haunt you if you buy the Lucky Bag)"

LOL

JAST and J-List are essentially the same entity with a different coat of paint.  There's really little reason to buy from one over the other.  I honestly don't know why Peter Payne bothers maintaining 2 web shops that perform the same function.

Yeah I don't get it either. For some reason I always use JAST rather than J-list, I find it easier to browse somehow.

I'm guessing they're also on J-List in case someone wants to order something other than games along with their VNs.

As of December 9th it sounds like all hard copies that ManagaGamer released will all be available on their page, so you no longer have to buy them through j-list any more. I try my best not to deal with J-list as they over price most of their stuff.

Good to know, I might indulge myself to a purchase if something I'm interested in comes up as a hard copy.  I already pre-ordred Kara no Shoujo's hard copy from them.

• 7 months later...

There's certainly people that buy the Japanese versions and apply the English patch.  J-List tends to sell such titles.

I doubt you'll find the "added content" in the Steins;Gate English release worthy of purchase.  If you already bought the Japanese version, I wouldn't buy the English release.  If you didn't, I would suggest buying the English release--not for the added content, but to support the market.

i know that this isn't the correct forums to ask these question but, which forums would i go to ask questions about the amaterasu fan translator and about where to find english patches of the kimi ga ita kisetsu and kimi ga nozumu eien games (part of the muv luv game series)

i know that this isn't the correct forums to ask these question but, which forums would i go to ask questions about the amaterasu fan translator and about where to find english patches of the kimi ga ita kisetsu and kimi ga nozumu eien games (part of the muv luv game series)

vndb says neither of those games have an english patch. And you can try the their forum or look here for contact information if you have any question to ask.

There's certainly people that buy the Japanese versions and apply the English patch.  J-List tends to sell such titles.

I doubt you'll find the "added content" in the Steins;Gate English release worthy of purchase.  If you already bought the Japanese version, I wouldn't buy the English release.  If you didn't, I would suggest buying the English release--not for the added content, but to support the market.

Thanks :) I havent got the Japanese version, or the 1st translation that was done :)