What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Trying a game, deciding you don't like it, and asking for a refund isn't abusing the refund system at all and won't get you banned. They specifically say that it's intended for customers to refund games they don't like.

Anyways, I played some Dragon's Dogma today. It was pretty fun! I think I was expecting the combat to be slower paced for some reason. But it's actually really fast and snappy and I liked what I played, as a dagger character.  It seems like some more nuance to the combat opens up once you unlock some core skills. I got as far as going down that huge pit in the Pawn's Guild. That sequence was a little frustrating, there are some things the pawn AI doesn't seem very adept at but it doesn't come into play very often, thankfully.

I wouldn't have minded a dodge roll button. I don't know how I'm supposed to defend myself as a dagger character. Can't block, can't evade. Only thing I can think of is to keep them stunlocked by comboing them. Basically kill them before they can kill you, lol. Also I'm not sure it was a smart decision to branch into Magick Archer if I'm going to be mainly using daggers but thankfully it wasn't a costly mistake, I'll try out Assassin tomorrow.

You can purchase the dodge move for all dagger-users at rank 5. As far as I know modders try to enable the roll for all classes but I'm not sure if they had any success yet. I would also recommend getting the mod with the original title song from B´z, most people like it far more than the one from Dark Arisen (they had to replace the song because of licensing issues)

13 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Yes.

Whenever I feel nostalgic, I just go back to Shogun 2.

E-Eeeeh... But Shogun 2 is so.... Shogun-like. Though have you played the new Total War Rome?

11 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Given that someone was still playing Bubsy 3D by 2013, I don't think you can be the only one playing a critically acclaimed Total War game. 

Thanks, Funya. It feels like you are my only ally here...

21 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

The last few hours, I've been humming or whistling the Velvet Room theme from Persona 4 Golden. 

Time to get P3P I suppose. 

DO IT!

Anyways, I took a break from everything and played through Ys Origin once again. Best action RPG I've ever played, it always feels so good to play.

Gameplay is fast, fluid, responsive and really satisfying despite being fairly simple. All you have is one button combo, three different chargeable spells, dash attack and jump, but since the game is crafted to such perfection it's more than enough. And better yet, there's three different characters to choose from. The principles are the same, but the different attacks and spells means wildly different play styles. 
The boss battles is where the combat system shines and all of them are really intense encounters. Precise movement, dodging and carefully planned attacks are needed, especially on higher difficulties which brings out all the intricacies of the combat system. Beating a boss with just a sliver of health left, while barely dodging the final attack really gets adrenaline flowing.  

It also has kick-ass music and best story out of all Ys games, so if anyone's ever in a need of concise, no-nonsense ARPG experience give Ys Origin a go.   

31 minutes ago, Turnip Sensei said:

DO IT!

Anyways, I took a break from everything and played through Ys Origin once again. Best action RPG I've ever played, it always feels so good to play.

Gameplay is fast, fluid, responsive and really satisfying despite being fairly simple. All you have is one button combo, three different chargeable spells, dash attack and jump, but since the game is crafted to such perfection it's more than enough. And better yet, there's three different characters to choose from. The principles are the same, but the different attacks and spells means wildly different play styles. 
The boss battles is where the combat system shines and all of them are really intense encounters. Precise movement, dodging and carefully planned attacks are needed, especially on higher difficulties which brings out all the intricacies of the combat system. Beating a boss with just a sliver of health left, while barely dodging the final attack really gets adrenaline flowing.  

It also has kick-ass music and best story out of all Ys games, so if anyone's ever in a need of concise, no-nonsense ARPG experience give Ys Origin a go.   

Can I play this on vita

Yup, Origin is PC only.

But from the same series there's a similar game called Ys: Oath in Felghana (PSP) on PSN. It's not as amazing as Origin, but great game still.  (The PC version of Oath is superior though)

But there's Ys Seven (PSP) and Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) if you want to play Ys for vita, on Vita. They have somewhat different combat systems, but the feeling is the same and the games are equally fun and awesome. And all of the Ys games are stand-alones, so you can start from any of them.

My personal recommendation is start from either Origin on PC or Celceta on Vita.    

7 hours ago, Nashetania said:

Am I the only one who still plays Medieval II Total War...?

I know several people who do, there were a lot of mods made for it that people still play. Shogun 2 did melee-focused Total War better, IMO, so there's not much reason to go back. Rome 2 is total garbage. I heard Atilla was better but I haven't had a look at it yet. 

Medieval 1 is still one of my favorites in the series. I like the simplified board game-esque turn-based strategy layer. And it may have been the last Total War game with acceptable AI, lol.

15 minutes ago, Decay said:

I know several people who do, there were a lot of mods made for it that people still play. Shogun 2 did melee-focused Total War better, IMO, so there's not much reason to go back. Rome 2 is total garbage. I heard Atilla was better but I haven't had a look at it yet. 

Medieval 1 is still one of my favorites in the series. I like the simplified board game-esque turn-based strategy layer. And it may have been the last Total War game with acceptable AI, lol.

Atila is slightly better, but probably not for the reasons you might think. It introduces the nomad/horde factions, which are done interestingly, which is a bonus. Sadly, it's still very similar to Rome 2, so it cannot be considered too much of a good game overall.

23 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Atila is slightly better, but probably not for the reasons you might think. It introduces the nomad/horde factions, which are done interestingly, which is a bonus. Sadly, it's still very similar to Rome 2, so it cannot be considered too much of a good game overall.

Though Rome 1 was (and still is) great game, despite being old.

11 minutes ago, Nashetania said:

Though Rome 1 was (and still is) great game, despite being old.

Indeed. To this day, I still can't get my head over how did they manage to mess up Rome 2 so incredibly much. It's like they picked the features that people dislikes the most, and put them all together in a dream-crushing orgy of gore and disappointment.

Honestly, I'm super worried about Total War: Warhammer. It looks super awesome, but some of the things released to the public show that it's probably "based" on the playing style and features of their latest games, Rome 2 and Attila, and that scares the shit out of me. If they mess Warhammer... welp, I won't know what to think of the franchise any longer.

Started playing Suikoden for the first time last month. I Recently finished it and really enjoyed it--the music is amazing.

I'm into the sequel now, which I heard is much better in terms of storytelling and gameplay, and so far it shows; the battles are a little more interactive and the story is better choreographed. More sprite animations too~

Can't really enjoy Soul Sacrifice anymore, I'm way too shit at this game. Any tips?

In the same situation for Planescape Torment.

As for Samurai Warriors 4, after finishing two campaigns I don't feel much of a drive to play it right now.

Tried to delve into too many stuff after finishing Persona 4 Golden, and I think I'm just gonna say "fuck it" and buy Persona 3 Portable in a few weeks (unless I come across a DS/3DS Megaten game when I go to Amsterdam for next week).

1 hour ago, MoeKyun said:

Playing trails of cold steel, chapter 2 now. So far so good. :P

Hide contents

Still thinking this, though; am I doing bracer job here? :makina:

Feels like I'm playing trails in the sky :wahaha:

Well, Rean himself suspects this right at the very begining (when coming back from the first field study)! I'm on chapter 5 (I think?) and it's truly a really cool game.

PD: President Towa best girl.

db68fff7113e23192e2efc6fca6ba0f2.png