Sanoba Witch Discussion

littleshogun

Sanoba Witch Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which girl that you think it's the best?

• Ayachi Nene
    • Inaba Meguru
    • Kariya Wakana
    • Shiiba Tsumugi
    • Togakushi Touko
  2. 2. Which is the best route to you?

• Inaba Meguru
    • Ayachi Nene
    • Togakushi Touko
    • Shiiba Tsumugi
    • Kariya Wakana

Finishing common route and about to enter Tsumugi's route. As for the common route, let's just say that other than nukige like opening scenes (Nene's masturbation) there's obviously no sex involved after that lol. The witch system that they have here is like Madoka (Perhaps it's not coincidence that we have Mami's seiyuu here, even though she's not a witch here) in that they need to made the contract with magical creature in order to granting a wish, and the witch need to collect the fragments until the required fragments is fulfilled. Of course there's some circumstance behind the contracts, but at least if anything else randomly getting horny like Nene is far better than turning into the lich like back at Madoka (Although getting horny did have some fair of annoyance though, especially with a shy girl like Nene).

Back to the common route, and it was in regard of the finale. As for the finale, let's just say that it's not as explosive as Noble Works

because more or less it's just a Halloween party, whereas in Noble Works Takumi need to deal with both of his kidnappers and the panty thief. And in here we have Shuuji did his training to be at least passable in bass guitar because he decided to perform for the party.

Considering that Sanoba here is taking charage approach, it's quite understandable. Speaking about that, actually the witch here isn't fighting using the weapon but instead they took the residual emotion within human using the weapons and collect it as fragments, and one of the way to get the fragments is by helping the people in the school. Anyway, that's all for what I can say here.

PS - Actually instead of witch, I think magical girl here would be appropriate. And if we treat witch as magical girl, then this is the first translated charage that did have magical girl heroines.

Edited by littleshogun

The crash error should theoretically be solved in the most recent game version available on all official platforms. So if you're still experiencing crashing, make sure you're up to date. (note: nutaku has been lagging behind in providing the latest versions so I'm not 100% sure if they have updated yet)

Edited by Decay

On 11/15/2018 at 10:25 PM, littleshogun said:

Finishing common route and about to enter Tsumugi's route. As for the common route, let's just say that other than nukige like opening scenes (Nene's masturbation) there's obviously no sex involved after that lol. The witch system that they have here is like Madoka (Perhaps it's not coincidence that we have Mami's seiyuu here, even though she's not a witch here) in that they need to made the contract with magical creature in order to granting a wish, and the witch need to collect the fragments until the required fragments is fulfilled. Of course there's some circumstance behind the contracts, but at least if anything else randomly getting horny like Nene is far better than turning into the lich like back at Madoka (Although getting horny did have some fair of annoyance though, especially with a shy girl like Nene).

Back to the common route, and it was in regard of the finale. As for the finale, let's just say that it's not as explosive as Noble Works because more or less it's just a Halloween party, whereas in Noble Works Takumi need to deal with both of his kidnappers and the panty thief. And in here we have Shuuji did his training to be at least passable in bass guitar because he decided to perform for the party. Considering that Sanoba here is taking charage approach, it's quite understandable. Speaking about that, actually the witch here isn't fighting using the weapon but instead they took the residual emotion within human using the weapons and collect it as fragments, and one of the way to get the fragments is by helping the people in the school. Anyway, that's all for what I can say here.

PS - Actually instead of witch, I think magical girl here would be appropriate. And if we treat witch as magical girl, then this is the first translated charage that did have magical girl heroines.

There are a few details here that need to be hidden behind a spoiler tag.. Both for sanoba Witch and Noble works.. Just because you have read them.. dont assume other have had  as well...

I finally finished most of it, it was a pretty good VN overall Nene's route easily trumps everything else but most of the heroine routes were decent 

For Nene's route though

The Route is huge, because technically not really 2 routes but for some reason they divided into 2, maybe memory constraints.

Anyway, really enjoyed how they handled the time travel part and how we relived 1st half of the story. Funny how Nene got desperate at the end and wanted to masturbate infront of it :wahaha: but it worked out in the end, I wasnt expecting them to do it quite like that I thought she'd get in trouble somehow and that would make him remember. And it was adorable seeing her get super clingy after he 'transferred' his memories.

It would've been nice to see what happens to the Shuuji of the 'other' world though because Nene also exists there as a different person i guess but they were about to talk to her before they abruptly ended the route which is the main reason the divide felt pointless to me, could've just kept going instead of having to click 'restart' lol

Also Nene's yandere faces are the best :Chocola:

2zjhnko.png

2cf3yh2.png

Sad Nene

1zl3a8l.png

10 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

I finally finished most of it, it was a pretty good VN overall Nene's route easily trumps everything else but most of the heroine routes were decent 

For Nene's route though

Reveal hidden contents

The Route is huge, because technically not really 2 routes but for some reason they divided into 2, maybe memory constraints.

Anyway, really enjoyed how they handled the time travel part and how we relived 1st half of the story. Funny how Nene got desperate at the end and wanted to masturbate infront of it :wahaha: but it worked out in the end, I wasnt expecting them to do it quite like that I thought she'd get in trouble somehow and that would make him remember. And it was adorable seeing her get super clingy after he 'transferred' his memories.

It would've been nice to see what happens to the Shuuji of the 'other' world though because Nene also exists there as a different person i guess but they were about to talk to her before they abruptly ended the route which is the main reason the divide felt pointless to me, could've just kept going instead of having to click 'restart' lol

Reveal hidden contents

2zjhnko.png

Reveal hidden contents
2cf3yh2.png

Sad Nene

Reveal hidden contents
1zl3a8l.png

Spoiler

The divide isn't done for any technical reasons. It's purely stylistic. I can only speculate on why exactly Yuzusoft chose to do it like this, but I can guess. I believe it's to create a clean division between the two worlds. By ending the 'first' route where they did, they're more clearly marking the two worlds as separate entities with separate futures, potentially both where Shuuji ultimately hooks up with Nene. Granted, this doesn't actually change the story or anything. It's just a way to emphasize that Restart is the beginning of a new story, and that the regular route's story continues on unseen.

It doubles as somewhat of a fake out

Spoiler

After the sad departure, you watch the end credits, get an even sadder epilogue and are booted back to the main menu. You wonder how or even if you can get the "good ending" and then the [RESTART] appears and you go "ooooooh!"

As Decay put it, making it a separate route has an artistic effect, pointing out that it's a complete restart. Usually, for true endings you pick one or two different things that might've unlocked in the common route.

Menu changes mean shit's getting real.

Sanoba Witch has two really strong routes. Nene's story is interesting and experiments a little, which I really appreciate. Touko's is more standard and by the book as far as these types of scripts go, but it's executed near flawlessly. 

I could justify either pick for best. Taste.

Currently I managed to finished Touko's route as well, so I'll write about both of those two (ie along with Tsumugi) later considering that I'll need to gather my thought here. But let me say that I like that Yuzusoft here did use of of the character trait as part of their story setting

namely the eye color in which that the people with amber eye here is the alps, and it's shown quite consistent with all available alps. And since Touko here is have the amber eyes it mean that she's the alps as well, or rather former alps who have contract with Shuuji's mom. I'm kind of curious though which animal that Touko was before become alps, although looking from her cat like smile it's probably cat like Nanao.

Anyway, as far as Sanoba here, I'm quite enjoying this although apparently Tsumigi's route here is the shortest compared to the rest fom what I heard.

Edited by littleshogun

I think that Wakana's is the shortest*, with Tsumugi's being next. Both Meguru's and Touko's are much longer, which took me by surprise. I read Tsumugi's route first, and expected others to be of similar length, so when next day I read Meguru's route, it made me stay up pretty late ;) Touko too.

I now have only Nene's route left, but so far I enjoyed every route I read.

* While it's the shortest one, it still feels like a proper route, not some bonus ending or whatever, and I really liked it.

Edited by adamstan

Finished both of Tsumugi's and Touko's route, and let me try to write my thoughts here.

Tsumugi

As we know, she's another witch besides Nene and her reason to become the witch was very trivial for guys, and that she's obviously did have her own magical creature (Alps) with the name of Akagi who also act as the tritagonist along with Shuuji and Tsumugi. While Akagi herself is quite annoying to some people, I'm kind of treat her as the lousy villain at the beginning so if you think of her like that perhaps it'll be help lol. I want to say many more thing, but if I did that it'll be long so let me shortened it. The plot is simple though, with Shuuji did his best to date Tsumugi and succedded, and after that turned into the doll because of his contract with Akari, and after a climax event he turned back into normal. Overall even with Akagi's constant annoyance to some people that she didn't show some remorse (Just think of her as an animal), I'm quite content with this although after finished Touko's route I think the writer could write Chapter 9 for the breather before the credit. Oh yeah, there's a lot of stuff about alps here, but I afraid that it might be too long here lol. As for the dream scene, I admit that it's quite interesting to see Shuuji's past and I think the girl in Shuuji's dream isn't Tsumugi, because the girl didn't wear boy uniform while Tsumugi here did have the tradition to wear male clothes since her childhood.

Touko

Spoiler

Unlike Tsumugi, she isn't a witch which mean that she'd supposedly didn't have the magic power in her. At least until the reveal in which it did have the biggest wham that namely she's former alps of Shuuji's mom (In turn it make Touko was an orphan and live alone), and I'm sure that both of Shuuji's mom and Touko were quite close until the former death, because otherwise she wouldn't learn of how to make the stew that made Shuuji's dad reminfed of his late wife cooking. As for the plot here, it's more or less quite simple with both of Shuuji and Touko want to learn about live because of Touko's reccuring dream about her late witch, and that she's quite curious about love here. As for her tendency to be teasing, I would say that she's probably learned it through the book here, moreso if we think of her setting as want to learn love. Also it's interesting to note that Shuuji can't detect any emotion fom her, because there's nothing inside her in the first place as the result of her using the emotion to seal her memories as the alps, and the sealing action was causing Touko to sometimes have amnesia. I admit that her after story here is the best, moreso because it'd have talk about their marriage here something that rare in VNs outside tone works one.

For more last info here, I did like that Touko's eye colour here foreshadow her origin as the alps, in which both of Akagi and Nanao did have. So we can say that the most straightforward setting here would be that alps here did have the amber eye color, and it should be the female one. As for the witch, I think it goes like that as well that all of them are woman only. Also I like to note that instead of signing the contract like back at the original series, in here we have Tomoe Mami did hands off the contract to the witch here which to say was quite ironic lol (I'd even imagined that Touko here did got organ transplant from Shuuji's mom, so with that we'll going to have Mizuhashi Kaori have two seiyuu joke here). As for attachment, I understand if some people did felt that Touko did have less presence in common route, and what I can say is that Yuzusoft is been like that back at Noble Works in which Shizuru did have the least presence in Noble Works common route.

As for my impression here, so far I'd been enjoyed this VN so it's all good. As for next route, perhaps Meguru here should be the best to tackle but perhaps I should try Wakana's first so I'll go with the side route here.

Edited by littleshogun

I finished it yesterday.

It showed me again, that first impressions can be misleading. The beginning of common route felt kind of bland to me, so I was a little disappointed, especially reading this after Yoake, where I got emotionally attached to the characters and atmosphere right from the beginning.

OTOH - it kind of relates to the story

Spoiler

as the protagonist initially is emotionally dead and avoiding any deeper relationship

so maybe it was intentional? ;)

Whatever's the case, I'm glad I didn't drop it, as the character routes are where it starts to shine. As for common - I loved comedic bits, the scene at conveyor-sushi shop was hilarious :D

My reading order was Tsumugi -> Meguru -> Touko -> Wakana -> Nene, and after all I think it is the best when it comes to discovering different parts of main magical theme. (well, Wakana's route can be moved freely, as it unlocks after completing one route, and is kind-of side route, but a very good one).

So, like I sadi, I started with Tsumugi's route. It's the shortest one from the main routes, and serves as good introduction.

Spoiler

with Tsumugi also being a witch, like Nene

The ending felt rushed, or rather, very action-packed, there were lots of things happening over short time, but all in all it was good.
This route had many sweet moments:

Spoiler

The very beginning, when Shuuji "votes" for Tsumugi in costume contest after Halloween party. Then, the scene where she comforts him by hugging his head to her chest and patting him. If I'm not mistaken, Meguru had similar scene in her route, but I won't complain as for some weird reason I LOVE this kind of scenes. And the date at the amusement park - cuteness overload ;) Or when she hughs teddy bear while sleeping...

Good route, and the best thing is that remaining ones are even better, so it is good to start with :)

Next was Meguru. It had different mood and theme, but is connected with Tsumugi

Spoiler

as it also features Akagi, who happens to also be alp of Meguru's missing friend, Chii-chan. That arc had some really emotional scenes, with Meguru finally knowing that her friend didn't abandon her, and overcoming her fear of relationships.

On another note - Meguru in her lazy-clothes and glasses - OMG, so sweet and so hot at the same time!
And it was absolutely hilarious when she got flustered in the club room and unintentionally leaked some details about their sexual life :D Somehow like Nene ends up saying many embarassing things ;)

Cuddling-in-bed CG near the end was very sweet.

Very good route.

And then came Touko, and upped the ante even higher. Her route was great, and provided another bit of main story

Spoiler

as Touko was former alp of Shuuji's mother, who later became human.

There were many sweet moments in this route, and the drama got me as well

Spoiler

Scenes with Shuuji nursing comatose Touko were really heartrending. And then there was epic reunion, when he managed to break into her dream and smash the glass that separated them...
It was then followed with some really funny scenes, when Touko, who fully regained her emotions started to get crazily embarassed for some things they did earlier :D

So, to conclude, this route was a bit of nakige, but I loved it.

Wakana's route is on the shorter side, but it was very nice romance route, with many sweet and funny moments. Nice breather before final.

Nene, main heroine and true route. It was hard to imagine, but it was even stronger than earlier routes. Many funny moments in the beginning, and many feels later, especially in the second part.
Almost anything would be a spoiler, but all in all it was epic.

In every route there were also some really nice thoughts about the nature of relationships, and quite helpful advices (coming either from Shuuji's dad or in conversations while OC is helping students with their love problems). They were pretty obvious things, like how communication is the key, or that you have to constantly maintain your relationship - but it was nice thing to see.

Art and music was pretty good. Also, I absolutely loved all SD/chibi scenes - they were cute and hilarious, often with small animations thrown in.

I played without H patch, and I think it was perfect this way. Even without H-scenes, it is by no means "all ages" release, as all other ecchi stuff is left intact. Also, while the scenes aren't shown, in all routes except Tsumugi characters often speak about what they just did, sometimes with a great detail ;) And those kissing scenes were pretty hot and erotic if you ask me. So for me it was very good solution - it isn't bad to leave some bits to imagination ;)

Translation is good, but I encountered numerous typos - not of the misspelling kind, but rather missing or misplaced words. Dual language option was very nice. I actually read parts of the prologue in Japanese, checking with translation afterwards.

To conclude - it started low, but ended on a very high level, just like protagonist's life ;)  8/10

Edited by adamstan

On 11/18/2018 at 2:54 AM, Freestyle80 said:

For Nene's route though

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

2zjhnko.png

Reveal hidden contents
2cf3yh2.png

Sad Nene

Reveal hidden contents
1zl3a8l.png

here. have some more.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

and
unknown.png

thats a good vn overall and i enjoy it. thanks for making and translating.

i guess ill replay some parts like

Spoiler

all scenes where nene has a space eyes.

megurus 1st date

and unknown.png

this scene

i wish there was a nene emoticon on both this and fuwanovel discord.

i having a fun at the sprite editor.....

Spoiler

unknown.png

why this
unknown.png

remind me of this??
SD103D.jpg

also ill assume nene route is the true route because

Spoiler

if you dont, she will be sad by the time her fragment bottle becomes fully full.

question:

Spoiler

1. How to unlock those 2 cgs???
unknown.png

2. At the end of Nene route 1, Nanao says that nene cant bring tangible items when she travel to the past due to her wish so and she brought shuuji feelings in the past with her. so how did she transfer those feelings in the fragment bottle despite that she isnt a witch or something???? did i miss something???

3. Would you prefer thank you or ty??

7 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

why this...

remind me of this??

Don't you dare forget the best one 

YHGWGv5.jpg

7 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

also ill assume nene route is the true route because

Reveal hidden contents

if you dont, she will be sad by the time her fragment bottle becomes fully full.

Well, if that makes you feel better you can think that. All I think about in that case would be that...

Spoiler

Meguru will never find someone to fully trust and she will never find out what happened to her friend. And Touko will live her whole alone without knowing about her suppressed dreams. Or maybe she will become a tomato because she can't bunker her emotions any longer when she's 49 or something.

I guess Tsumugi and Wakana would be fine :wahaha:

8 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

question:

Reveal hidden contents

1. How to unlock those 2 cgs???
unknown.png

2. At the end of Nene route 1, Nanao says that nene cant bring tangible items when she travel to the past due to her wish so and she brought shuuji feelings in the past with her. so how did she transfer those feelings in the fragment bottle despite that she isnt a witch or something???? did i miss something???

3. Would you prefer thank you or ty??

1. I've read everything except Tsumugi After and I am also missing these two CGs. If anything, it's a niche common route event, in Tsumugi After or randomly blank space.

2. Magic I guess.

As for second question - yep, magic:

Spoiler

Nene gathered slightly more magic than needed for granting her wish, and that excessive amount has been used to send Shuuji's heart fragments (which aren't exactly physical) with her. Also, she didn't transfer them in a bottle, but rather they took the form of a shard/crystal.

If I remember correctly, Shuuji discussed it with Nanao somewhile before.

I have another question - you keep speaking about after-stories, and in the walkthrough it is mentioned that there should be "after" section in the menu after beating all routes. I completed the game, have all CGs, but didn't find it. Are they just additional h-scenes (like in Chrono Clock) and thus exclusive to H-edition? I've seen only normal after-credits epilogues, but they played automatically.

Edited by adamstan

About 80-90% of each after story is comprised of an h-scene, with the rest being a flimsy justification for the said h-scene. I wasn't aware that they weren't in the all-ages version, but that makes sense. They'd seriously be five minutes each otherwise and wouldn't really make any sense.

Also, a patch went out earlier today. It's still being uploaded to NekoNyan's various partners, but it's at least live on Steam and I think NekoNyan's own site. Check where you bought the game from for the latest version. This patch contains fixes for all of the reported text errors, as well as more found during another quick pass we did on the game to polish it up.

Edited by Decay

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch, the translation is... Really questionable to the point it's hard to progress through the script sometimes. The textbook example of a "wannabe professional" who heard some things but the implementation is, well, often painful. Like I usually see what they wanted  to do but the result feels like they cared less about the product and more about being cool kids  professional translators. I do hope it's simply their first work, but I'm now extremely worried about Nukitashi.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Wakana's route, and overall it's quite short compared to both of Tsumugi's and Touko's routes (Duh). The story itself is quite simple with Shuuji, Wakana, and Kaidou preparing for their concert at Halloween festival, and love was blossoming between the former two which started from when both of Shuuji and Wakana were accidentally bump their lips into each other.

Spoiler

While the story is quite simple, there's some interesting thing available like when Wakana reject Shuuji confession because she want to confess by herself and more importantly because Shuuji made a ruckus by confessing in front of the festival after their performance is over, Wakana did make lunch for Shuuji even when they still not becoming the lover yet, and more importantly it did tell us abut some of Shuuj's past because turned out that Wakana is childhood friend of Shuuji for a while (Shuuji did forget her at the beginning though because he tend to avoid people in his childhood) and that she concerned abut Shuuji before she's transferring out. In the end, what I can say is that out of all of translated Yuzusoft VNs Wakana's here is the best one simply because it's also address the man plot as well, namely that Shuuji did reveal to Wakana that he can sense the emotion (He still not revealing the witches existence though).

As for the next plan, I'll going with Meguru's route later like I'd say earlier.

PS - Wakana's seiyuu name is Kotorii Yuuka or if we going with her real name is Takamori Natsumi. As for her role, she's Tachibana Ochiba from Astral Air, Hitachi Mako from Senren Banka, Sorakado Ao frm Summer Pocket, Inui Azusa from Tsujidou, Higashi Mashiro from Apeiria, Kusakabe Korona from Miagete, and Fuuma Yura from Nekonin.

Edited by littleshogun

• 1 year later...

I just finished it tonight.

I liked it so much more than the other Yuzusoft I read, Dracu-Riot. In fact, I liked it more than I thought I would in general.  It had a lot of really good themes related to personal growth and relationships.

Shuuji was a very solid protag that emphasized the personal growth thing very well. Thought he was gonna be a simp the whole story.

As far as the routes as a whole, I liked how they covered very different themes. I also liked all the datable heroines were basically nice girls.

Route rankings:

1) Tsumugi - Had the most unique storytelling. Had some nice emotional moments and development.
2) Nene - So long but quite good. Went in ways most won't be expecting.
3) Wakana- BRAVEMAN. Also generally nice and feel good. No issues, just a fun short romance.
4) Meguru- I liked how it covered the little things of making a relationship work. And it involved the OC as a whole most. Had some nice feelsy scenes. Brought down by Meguru being kinda annoying sometimes.
5) Touko - Had some interesting/funny scenes but was kinda forgettable

Main Heroine rankings:
1) Wakana- I really enjoyed her honesty. It was fun and refreshing, she knows how to have a good time but also when to be serious with real advice. I kinda wish she had at least a chapter or 2 more in her route.
2) Tsumugi - Her and Nene is pretty close. I honestly think Tsumugi wins cuz I liked her route very slightly more, and I kinda prefer her more motherly vibe.
3) Nene - Not too far behind. Obviously the main heroine with all the shilling. She had some surprising depth I enjoyed. Sometimes a bit too childish/immature for my liking which only brings her down very slightly.
4) Meguru - She had potential to be my #1 character. She had interesting depth, a usually fun-ish personality, some really nice moments in her route, and the nerd thing was nice. Unfortunatley she's easily the one to be the most annoying in comedy, both in and out of her route.
5) Touko - I sometimes like tease-y characters. But for some reason she felt even shallower than most other characters of her type. She does give good advice and I guess she had a plot reason for being how she is but her route didn't make her that interesting to me.

Other notes:

-Side characters weren't too bad. Cool dad character, cool bro characters, kinda funny teacher, a few other interesting ones.

-Most of the humor was hilarious. Some of it was annoying usually Meguru being obnoxious or characters unnecessarily getting mad of Shuuji

-I actually quite liked the OST. Though mostly the slice of life theme, plus a few character themes like Nene/Tsumugi/Wakanas. And a few of the feels songs, especially Setsunakute.

Overall.. 8.5/10, Will probably round out to 9. I have a feeling no other Yuzusoft VNs will have storytelling even close to what some of the routes did though...

• 2 months later...

I think it's strange to ask this here, but this is a really intrigin matter to me... I just finished all the 5 routes in Sanoba Witch ( And i LOVED it, i really do enjoy Yuzusoft titles ) but no yet the after stories... Anyway, i really want to know ( dont mind spoilers ) the destiny of Shuuji and Ayachi from the previous world ( Since in the end of the route, before the restart, Ayachi was there ), it was left open to interpretation ? If yes, what's your guys thoghts ? ( Really sorry for asking this, like, 2 years later )