Chrono Clock Sudden Kickstarter Announced

littleshogun

13 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

A rising tide of anti-SP sentiment amongst hardcore fans could damage their future Kickstarter campaigns (assuming they try to crowdfund localization again), so they might want to reconsider this PR strategy.

"Hardcore fans" Pah! It's the same people who thinks themselves as self-appointed critiques, who all the while bitch and moan whitout giving a cent. The fans are the ones providing money to make the campaigns a success and help make the best out of the games releases, the silent benevolent majority are the true fans, not the whiny plebs who constitutes a vocal minority that just wastes their and other people's time complaining about anything and everything.

1 hour ago, sanahtlig said:

I'm not.  I only post there occasionally when a topic interests me.

That's the first thread I've seen where a non-Dovac company spokesperson was downvoted into the negatives multiple times on /r/vns.  That a thread filled with company replies has been pushed down to the bottom of the comments (and his responses to questions hidden) is striking, highly unusual, and potentially significant.  Anti-SP fervor seems to be on the rise.

Audi comes off poorly with all his sarcastic quips. I'm not surprised it has rubbed people the wrong way,

1 hour ago, VLOCKUP said:

Audi's presence in CC thread in r/visualnovels doesn't help either with him dodging the questions with "You know how hard we are working to make it work?" and "Please apply into our workforce to show it how it's done" answers.

Well, yes, it is incredibly patronizing to tell someone how their job should be done when you have zero experience.

1 hour ago, Chuee said:

Well, yes, it is incredibly patronizing to tell someone how their job should be done when you have zero experience.

He shouldn't give the time of the day to these kind of shitposts but instead should grace them with his silence, it's better to just focus on answering genuine questions and ignore the rest.

That's how Tabata deals with the "Final Fantasy XV delay whiners":

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/in-conversation-with-final-fantasy-xv-director-hajime-tabata-square-enix-gamescom-interview

"VICE Question: And what about the reaction to the delay? A small minority of internet dickheads aside, I think those who've been waiting years for this game aren't about to kick up a stink over two more months.

Tabata Answer: I know that people have different opinions on what we've done here, but I do try to avoid the forums where people say things without having to take any responsibility for doing so. I much prefer to listen to the opinions of journalists, and speaking to fans face to face about things. That's where I think the most valuable information comes from."

2 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

That's the first thread I've seen where a non-Dovac company spokesperson was downvoted into the negatives multiple times on /r/vns.  That a thread filled with company replies has been pushed down to the bottom of the comments (and his responses to questions hidden) is striking, highly unusual, and potentially significant.  Anti-SP fervor seems to be on the rise.

I don't think it is, TBH. A lot of /VN/ and /VNTS/ users skulk around the Reddit boards these days.

Not to mention a couple of hundred people downvoting something isn't really going to make much difference in the long run. Especially considering you don't know who's doing the downvoting. 4chan's a place where you can be salty with your words, but Reddit's a place where you can be salty with your votes. I remember when SP was just starting, people on 4chan would urge others to be more active in Reddit's voting practice.

That being said, Chrono Clock's on $35,000 after ... 2 days? It's not bad. To me that sort of reaction signals anti-SP fervour is still a vocal minority among hard core fans. Probably says just as much or more than a couple of hundred downvotes on Reddit. Just my 2c. 

Also, casuals and people not involved in the VN community won't even notice.

Oh the sweet, sweet irony.

2 hours ago, Nier said:

"Hardcore fans" Pah! It's the same people who thinks themselves as self-appointed critiques, who all the while bitch and moan whitout giving a cent. The fans are the ones providing money to make the campaigns a success and help make the best out of the games releases, the silent benevolent majority are the true fans, not the whiny plebs who constitutes a vocal minority that just wastes their and other people's time complaining about anything and everything.

It's the same exact discussion everywhere. been there, done that. Every single community is divided into exact same crowds. Sadly, those who aren't afraid to voice their complaints, usually remain the most knowledgeable about the subject matter; the only issue being their everlasting angst versus rest of the world.

The "anti-SP sentiment" is very heavily exaggerated by the crowd who believes that their insular and niche communities represent the whole of the visual novel fandom. When in reality the vast majority of VN fans and buyers exist outside of Fuwa, Reddit, 4chan, vndb, etc. At most they're lurkers, remaining silent because they have nothing to say on the matter.

16 hours ago, Rooke said:

It's a pretty good decision by SP. The bad translation issues by Nutaku aren't a problem here, there's some select censorship by Nutaku but only in response to direct legal and financial threat. Most users probably won't even notice.

In return they get to place their product on the 'shelf' of a platform with a pretty damn large consumer base. Nutaku's eroge platform IS pretty popular. 

Unfortunately I'm not in the 'most' category. Though knowing Nutaku they will just make the loli's breasts bigger instead of outright removing the scenes. Not too hard of a problem to fix.

What I find most confusing is they say a bunch of places that the 18+ version is Nutaku exclusive, but then in a comment on the Kickstarter they say "you will have the option to choose from Denpasoft or Nutaku to redeem the download." in response to a guy saying Nutaku is blocked in his country (Japan).  Is it exclusive or not?

1 hour ago, finiteHP said:

What I find most confusing is they say a bunch of places that the 18+ version is Nutaku exclusive, but then in a comment on the Kickstarter they say "you will have the option to choose from Denpasoft or Nutaku to redeem the download." in response to a guy saying Nutaku is blocked in his country (Japan).  Is it exclusive or not?

You'd have to directly ask what they meant, either through twitter or on the Kickstarter page.  It's incredibly confusing, but SP hasn't really been all that good at communicating, so it's not all that surprising.  To most people, "exclusive" usually means, well, exclusive, but it's possible that they meant something else.

7 hours ago, Nier said:

Again with this lazy accusation. Hardcopy fans are those who usually buys VNs after "silent majority" forgets about them. And people have every fucking right to whine or complain if they are backers that, for example, still waiting for the WEE Episode 3. Like me. Sekay promised the end of summer. But instead they created another campain for Crono Clock 'cause they jelaous of MG's new deal with Purple Software.

As for exclusive for Nutaku or Denpasoft, I really do not care as long as there'll be no censhorship or bad TL. The real question is '' when '' and no '' where ''.

4 minutes ago, Rooke said:

This was on the cards long before MG announced their localisation of HappyMaher (I think that's spelt right?)

*Hapymaher

One "p".  Just one.  It's not "Happymaher".  Spelling it wrong totally isn't starting to annoy me or anything  :sachi:

And yeah, it was.  Licensing Hapymaher to MangaGamer was the surprise, as SP had already gotten the rights to release Chrono Clock.  I don't know why people keep thinking it's the other way around.

17 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

*Hapymaher

One "p".  Just one.  It's not "Happymaher".  Spelling it wrong totally isn't starting to annoy me or anything  :sachi:

And yeah, it was.  Licensing Hapymaher to MangaGamer was the surprise, as SP had already gotten the rights to release Chrono Clock.  I don't know why people keep thinking it's the other way around.

I'm talking about 18+ version of Crono Clock. It was "all age" only before MG suprised us with Hap... Happ... Hapymaher) With this kickstater SP strikes back. You understand that Purple Software had to agree to this. I wonder if japan actually play with them all...

17 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Really? Where did they say that? 

Maybe I am wrong, but before this kickstarter I've never heard nothing about 18+. I guess, it means other games in their catalog with adult version will get crowdfunding. New way to take fan's money. 125$ for the hardcopy. It's almost my whole salary...

8 minutes ago, Basileus777 said:

MangaGamer probably had nothing to do with it, but Chrono Clock didn't have an 18+ version announced until this Kickstarter.

It wasn't announced, but nor was it ruled out. And I believe it was assumed an 18+ version would eventually be available on Denpasoft :S. That's what I always assumed anyway.

13 hours ago, Basileus777 said:

From Audi's comments the partnership seems a lot more substantial than that.

That's just how PR-speak works.  I mean, really.  What do you expect him to say?  "These guys are well known for shady, underhanded tactics, but we decided to overlook that and give them a shot because everybody likes big fat sacks of cash money"?  Nobody ever says that, even if that's what they really think.

Instead they always say meaningless fluff like "We're really good friends with the guys at Nutaku and they're so awesome blah blah blah", whatever their real thoughts on the matter are.  Puffery in press releases and other official or public statements should basically be ignored.  Maybe Audi really means it, maybe not.  Maybe Audi and Nutaku really are all buddy-buddy, and maybe not.  I'm certainly not going to take Audi's word for it.

2 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Just like we all assumed G-senjou no Maou would eventually be available on Denpasoft.

I think Sekai has failed to upload a single 18+ version to Denpasoft. I don’t think that’s enough to reverse default expectations.

If they hadn’t previously ruled the 18+ version out, I also don’t think it’s rational to imply they ‘changed their position’ on it when it eventuates.

2 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I think Sekai has failed to upload a single 18+ version to Denpasoft. I don’t think that’s enough to reverse default expectations.

Sekai Project has a tendency to deflect responsibility (and attention) by leaving questions unanswered and waiting for fans to lose interest and move onto something else.  They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt, so I assume what they announce is exactly what they plan to release, no more and no less.

11 hours ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

As long as they maintain their Denpasoft store, the cost for offering an additional game in there is absolutely neglectable.

It's actually not negligible.  [Edit to add:  The cost is negligible in terms of dollars, but that isn't the only cost here.  Restricting your ability to execute your larger strategy is another kind of cost.]  Denpasoft isn't just a store, it's a repository that houses downloads for its paying customers.  You can't just turn off the store and shut down the site.  Well, you can, in the same sense that you can give all your money to that Nigerian prince who just needs help moving money around - it's a really bad idea.  It's more correct to say that if your company wants to survive the act, you can't just turn off the download server.

Instead, if you want to retire the storefront, you turn off new purchases.  At the same time, you publically announce you plan to turn off downloads of existing items on such-and-such date.

So if SP wants to close Denpasoft down, they can't continue planning to release new games on it.  It's very bad form to have the interval between announcing the closure, and actually turning off the lights, be anything less than a few months from the last time anything was sold.  People are on vacation, they don't hear about the closure right away, lots of things can happen.

In other words, every title released on Denpasoft moves out the feasible kill date to a few months after its release, at a minimum.  And that means that if SP wants Denpasoft dead, first they need to find a new storefront.