steins;gate (the original VN)finally comes to steam

Kurisu-Chan

so, it seems like finally, 5pb. decided to drop its stupid attitude and resigned into being a steam-friendly publisher.

They are publishing steins;gate on steam, http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/19/steinsgate-finally-releasing-steam-september-2016/

so, Finally, years after the jast and console releases, they're up to put it on steam, why not, i just hope the sequel will follow quickly. 

53 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

so, it seems like finally, 5pb. decided to drop its stupid attitude and resigned into being a steam-friendly publisher.

might have stemmed from the realization of how muvluv and consorts are currently doing, at least it may have showed them that there is indeed a profitable market outside of the console segment. now only hope for kadokawa considering a possible kaihou shoujo sin, punch line (i do fucking loooove that one) & anonymous code release for pc... * all and every fingers, toes and d**** crossed

1 hour ago, XReaper said:

might have stemmed from the realization of how muvluv and consorts are currently doing, at least it may have showed them that there is indeed a profitable market outside of the console segment. now only hope for kadokawa considering a possible kaihou shoujo sin, punch line (i do fucking loooove that one) & anonymous code release for pc... * all and every fingers, toes and d**** crossed

This has been in the works for a while.  It was part of the Steamdb leak from last year.

45 minutes ago, Basileus777 said:

This has been in the works for a while.  It was part of the Steamdb leak from last year.

This^

And about 6 months ago Steam release was pretty much confirmed by JAST USA:

http://follow.jastusa.com/post/138524073341/im-a-big-fan-of-nitroplus-games-especially-their

The S;G series is part controlled by 5pb/Kadokawa, they seem to want to do things on their own since we were not even allowed to release S;G on steam (They want to do that on their own too) so it’s unlikely that you will see that series coming from anyone but 5pb anytime soon unless they change their mind.

1 hour ago, Basileus777 said:

aye that´s true, but i didnt only mean muvluv´s sales, more the whole kickstarter and whatsnot hype, paired with a massive claims for these titles being made available for pc/steam + various people requesting steins gate, robotic notes etc etc etc being brought over as well. pretty sure it´s been the result of more than one factor which ultimately led to 5pb/degica/kadokawa opening up to the pc-gaming community, that before got neglected hard (at least in the case of 5pb themselves, excl. their activities regarding degica).

37 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Not shorter than any other VN, unless it's filled with stupid ero content. 

Eh. It lasted me about 25 hours to do all routes.  Not short, but VN wise, there are many on Steam that are in the 35-45$ range that will last 50-80 hours. If this is priced the same as those, it's overpriced. It's not a new release, either.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

could this mean the announce of steins;gate 0 for pc (translated I mean)? not a bad way to promote it by releasing the first one on steam.

This will almost certainly happen, probably next year. 5pb/Mages aren't getting into the self-publishing on Steam business for just one older title.

6 minutes ago, Basileus777 said:

This will almost certainly happen, probably next year. 5pb/Mages aren't getting into the self-publishing on Steam business for just one older title.

it make sense, and the dates too, why else would they release it just a few days after the release of steins;gate 0 on pc? (jap version)
also if you release it on consoles and on pc untranslated it's not that hard to make a patch for it, I don't think they will miss the opportunity of releasing the game officially on pc for the western market but you never know.. the japanese mentally, specially in business it's very mysterious  :P 

6 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Eh. It lasted me about 25 hours to do all routes.  Not short, but VN wise, there are many on Steam that are in the 35-45$ range that will last 50-80 hours. If this is priced the same as those, it's overpriced. It's not a new release, either.

There are MANY like that? Really? Because Grisaia and Clannad are probably the only ones that seem like they fit the bill to me.

Besides, there's more to price than just length. 

Hey, that's just reality. It's basic consumerism.

Pay 60$, get a 8 hour campaign. Maybe it's super good and your favorite, but for that same 60$, you can get a game with a decent and enjoyable campaign,. not as much, but still a good game, and it'll last you 100+ hours...basic consumerism. People will buy whatever they feel the best bang for their buck is.

8 hours ago, Decay said:

There are MANY like that? Really? Because Grisaia and Clannad are probably the only ones that seem like they fit the bill to me.

Besides, there's more to price than just length. 

In addition to those already mentioned:

Tokyo Babel

Umineko 1-4

Chou Dengeki Stryker

and yeah, there's probably more.

On 19/8/2016 at 4:26 PM, Daydreamer97 said:

I'm really excited because it means I'll finally be able to read this. I keep on hearing about how great it is so I'm pretty hyped.

It is. Just you wait. To say something bad about it, the decision making is a bit clunky and unlocking the true ending pretty much needs a guide (or helping people like you'd find on Fuwa).