Windows 10 question

Zznbh

I'm considering upgrading to Win10, but I'm just wondering if older eroge (released before Win10) will actually run on this OS.

When you go to the Getchu page of an eroge, there is info on OS support for the game (対応OS), and most of the pre Win10 eroge list supported OS as the following: WinXP/Vista/7/8

No Windows 10, which led me to the question if you can even play those games on Win10.

Works on win8 = Works on win10

pretty much

7 minutes ago, Zznbh said:

When you go to the Getchu page of an eroge, there is info on OS support for the game (対応OS), and most of the pre Win10 eroge list supported OS as the following: WinXP/Vista/7/8

They do not really update the supported OS list if the original company who made the game didn't update it. If the game was released before win10 was released it is not listed.

6 minutes ago, Zznbh said:

So, if an eroge has no Win8 support, it won't run on Win10?

No. Games might run on Win8 even without support being listed. "If the game was released before win10 was released it is not listed." same applies to Win8 so if the game was released before Win8 it might still work but it is not just listed there.

But assuming that you have windows 7 or 8 there shouldn't really be any problems with eroge. There are very few ones that won't work on Win8 or higher.

Unless you have a solid reason to upgrade (work related, no backwards compatibility for tools etc), I'd wait, especially if you're sitting on W7 or updated versions of W8. W10 is kind of... poor at the moment. If you use your system only for eroge and older games, it's quite pointless and you get literally nothing out of it, except for more MS bloatware and them having 100% control over your system and personal data.

There's no reason to have Windows 10 unless you just bought a new system and it's already pre-installed. There's no third-party software out there that I can think of that's exclusive to Windows 10, and their new browser, Edge, is fucking atrocious.

I know, as a tech junkie it's hard not to want to have the "latest version" of something, but skip Win10 as long as you can.

I've never run into an eroge I couldn't make work on Windows 10, and the only ones that had difficulties also had the same difficulties with 7/8/8.1.

Windows 10 is more natural and easier to use than 8 or 8.1. And them adding a new browser, even if it sucks, isn't a negative - you can still use whatever other browser you want, including IE if you roll that way.

However, Windows 10 is just plain lower quality than 8.1. The bugs aren't a dealbreaker, but if you run across one of the nastier ones, it can be really, really frustrating. My wireless on this computer hasn't worked properly in months (since the November update, I think); if the computer goes into hibernate, I have to disconnect/reconnect to the wifi network. It's habitual now, and it's still annoying as hell.

But I do like the Aero Snap keyboard shortcuts.

I got the free upgrade for Windows 10, and honestly, it's quite grown on me. I prefer it to my Windows 7 I've had for many years. I recently started playing VN's back in January and I've played a few older VN's that I didn't have any problems playing.

If one does end up having issues, you can always try and run the VN in compatibility mode to whatever older version of Windows works. That usually fixes things, I had to run If My Heart Had Wings on Steam in Windows 8 compatibility when I was using the restoration patch.

Don't fear Win 10 -if you have a new computer, that's the way to go. On the other hand it's light enough to go well on older computers, I've got one medium-tier from 2009 equipped with it and works OK.

All in all, just 3 more years until Win 7 goes out of business.

10 hours ago, Valmore said:

I know, as a tech junkie it's hard not to want to have the "latest version" of something, but skip Win10 as long as you can.

As a tech junkie, you don't simply 'upgrade'; you stick to whatever works the best as long as possible. The fact is W7 still beats the rest of the systems when it comes to performance/utility. While W8 is a pain to use, W10 might be more lightweight, but it doesn't work :miyako:

It's hilarious an OS can be riddled with system breaking bugs and people 'don't mind' that. Modern standards went down the drain.

9 hours ago, Okarin said:

Don't fear Win 10 -if you have a new computer, that's the way to go. On the other hand it's light enough to go well on older computers, I've got one medium-tier from 2009 equipped with it and works OK.

I'll need a new laptop soon, and as soon as I get my paws on one the first thing I'll do is uninstall Win 10 :P 

Maybe the most derp feature in Win 10 is that for calling the Control Panel you've got to write it in the search bar.

In other words, there's the usual menus and some more that've been thrown in front of them. Makes me wonder why they couldn't integrate all in one.

Windows 10 isn't that bad as what others might want you to believe, although I have to agree with them that Win 10 is at the moment being poor and isn't really a great choice for people playing old games or using old software, be it a Visual Novel or a pretty old game. If your current OS is Win 7, just stick with it as long as you can since it's the best OS among the rest when it comes to compatibility in running old games and Visual Novels.  If your PC's OS is Win 8/8.1, It'll be a better choice to upgrade it to Win 10 since its somehow much better than Win 8/8.1 in overall comparison and oddly enough has better compatibility capabilities than Win 8 as I can say through experience... :rimu:

Currently using a genuine but damaged version of Win 10 cause I cannot use the apps and the window store as I somehow accidentally deleted some important windows file due to an experiment conducted on my PC, trying out many kinds of Antivirus programs. Nevertheless most of the visual novels I have installed on my PC works just quite alright without any serious problem except for a few adjustments here and there.