Planetarian anime

Deep Blue

*Charlotte flashbacks*

This is going to be terrible isn't it?

I want to have hope, but then I remember the VN is shorter than half of a typical full anime season, which begs the question: how are they going to drag it and essentially butcher what was a wonderfully paced short story?

The only way this can realistically work is in movie form, but if you want my honest opinion i don't think Planetarian is very fit for the anime medium.

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Of course not, just add time traveling and a terrorist sub plot and you've got a 10/10 show.

It's already 1st of April in Japan so maybe is just an elaborated joke? :P

to be honest, with only 2 characters and one of them "sleeping" most of the time... it will be hard to pull this off as an animu, maybe like you said a movie makes more sense or a few OVAs..

The thing is, even as a movie it will be incredibly boring. The whole story takes place in one single room. Not one town, not one building, a single room. The selling point of the VN is the interaction between the protagonist and Yumemi, which in a written format work great, but in an anime? Unless you got Shaft level visuals going on, you're doomed. It will essentially amount to a bunch of talking and talking with nothing happening and then the last quarter is the climax, but even the climax will be boring because nothing that visually appealing happens in it, again it's all about that relationship the characters have been building.

I'm hoping it's just an April Fool's joke I guess, but if it's not, god save us all.

Ep 1: Establish the state of the world, episode ends with cliffhanger meeting Reverie, greet #2,500,000XX? customer

Ep 2 - 3: Various SoL + "What do you think about the planetarium? That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when...." + Miss Jena projector scene

Ep 3 - 4: :kosame: -> :michiru: -> :marie: -> :conspiracy: -> :komari:

6 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Hopefully it will be good. 

It better be good. 

(It wont be good, will it? :komari:

Holy shit, even you are sceptical, derg?

Honestly, i don't know why everyone's complaining. Even if it won't be a perfect adaptation, this story deserves the attention, it deserves to get adapted. Even if it doesn't nail the pacing, even if they Stretch a 5 hour vn into a 12 episode anime, i'm still more than Happy to get more of planetarian. Please don't be so elitist, we're fuwa after all  

#rant

3 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Honestly, i don't know why everyone's complaining. Even if it won't be a perfect adaptation, this story deserves the attention, it deserves to get adapted. Even if it doesn't nail the pacing, even if they Stretch a 5 hour vn into a 12 episode anime, i'm still more than Happy to get more of planetarian. Please don't be so elitist, we're fuwa after all  

#rant

Planetarian is not even 2 hours long, this goes beyond normal "stretching", it would be filler galore.

It's simply a boring story from a TV anime standpoint.

Just now, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

#rant

Sadly, yes. I am a big fan of Key anime. (I´m one of those people who loved Charlotte! :miyako: Like, really, I absolutely loved it. Fite me IRL! :pyaa:

But I have to agree with Nosebleed; this is not something you can easily turn into an anime. I do hope it ends up being good, but I am quite sceptical indeed. 

Though you have a point, I am very excited about the idea in general. Heck, its possible that they will end up making it a shorter show, either with episodes shorter than 20 minutes, or maybe less than 12 episodes. We don´t really know anything yet, so maybe I did jump the gun a little. 

It could be anything at this point, they didn't specify in the trailer, so calling it a movie is misinformation.

If it's a TV series, it will 99% certainly be shit, like all TV VN adaptations.

If it's a movie, it has a bigger chance of not being shit, but I still think Planetarian is not very fit for an anime on a technical level. However it's the best format to get the pacing right.

The biggest fear for me is them starting to add filler content to pad out the run time really.

That gives me some hope, but now it all depends on the staff and length time.

Still think it should have been left alone and not run through the anime industry butcher machine, but oh well, it's Key, we should expect their stuff to get adaptations at some point.