are there vn elitists and hipsters in japan?

1 minute ago, ロル ビち said:

implying moeges cant have good stories. 

arent most moeges pretty mainstream for VNs? neither elitists nor hipsters like mainstream.

I mean, there always is conficts, it was just a bad example

I'm sure there are those niche titles and glorified ones, even more in Japanese than English

So I think that hipster/elitist thing shows more in Japanese VN community more than in English one

I think Clephas and others have complained that discussion of VNs in the Japanese Internet community is much less lively.  There's no Japanese Fuwanovel, essentially, so much of the "discussion" happens in the comments of wikis and on 2chan.  Do a search on the Japanese title of a game, any game, and you'll see what I mean.  Any discussion is often in English.

On 3/4/2016 at 3:35 PM, OriginalRen said:

As someone who has lived in Japan and went to Akihabara release dates every month while standing in line with a bunch of other PC game fanatics, no, there aren't any elitists. Most people mind their own business and come to buy what they need to buy.

what about the hipsters?

When I think of hipsters, I think of young female teenagers wearing leggings as pants with a pair of Ugg boots and a sweater, while texting on their iPhone and holding a cup of some mixed drink from Starbucks. Sunglasses are optional. If that's the case, then no, there are no hipsters in Japan.

6 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

As someone who has lived in Japan and went to Akihabara release dates every month while standing in line with a bunch of other PC game fanatics, no, there aren't any elitists. Most people mind their own business and come to buy what they need to buy.

So they're better than us because constantly argue and force our opinions onto others. Sounds pretty boring to be a fan of VNs in Japan if there is no big discussions about the newest moege and how Sca-Ji is overrated and other VN related topics.

1 minute ago, VirginSmasher said:

So they're better than us because constantly argue and force our opinions onto others. Sounds pretty boring to be a fan of VNs in Japan if there is no big discussions about the newest moege and how Sca-Ji is overrated and other VN related topics.

They discuss it, but like visual novel/anime fans, the real world is too much for them to discuss their hobby. Why talk in real life when you can hide behind a fake internet persona?

3 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

When I think of hipsters, I think of young female teenagers wearing leggings as pants with a pair of Ugg boots and a sweater, while texting on their iPhone and holding a cup of some mixed drink from Starbucks. Sunglasses are optional. If that's the case, then no, there are no hipsters in Japan.

shit... thats me minus the leggings

2 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

They discuss it, but like visual novel/anime fans, the real world is too much for them to discuss their hobby. Why talk in real life when you can hide behind a fake internet persona?

That is true. I imagine most of us, myself not included, don't discuss our VN hobby until we are in these forums.

I'm pretty sure that there are elitists like in any other group of fans or followers of something..be it a game or Vn or Anime or anything really...there will always be those who try to leave out the new people or amateur-ish people who may not have as much knowledge as them and live within their own little "elite" world..granted not all elitists are like that but most are anyways

On 3/4/2016 at 3:11 PM, sanahtlig said:

I think Clephas and others have complained that discussion of VNs in the Japanese Internet community is much less lively.  There's no Japanese Fuwanovel, essentially, so much of the "discussion" happens in the comments of wikis and on 2chan.  Do a search on the Japanese title of a game, any game, and you'll see what I mean.  Any discussion is often in English.

then why doesnt any web designer erogamer just create 1 japanese fuwa? 

2 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

You get more review sites of course, some live play videos (実況) with entertaining commentary, twitter, but yea there's not that much discussion.

substantial population of elitists and hipsters

#tanoshimi :illya: (Ore tsubasa ga nai, Rui Tomo, CC, Saihate, Dies Irae, KKK, Muramasa, Subahibi, Sakura no Shi, JQV, Amatsukaze, Railsoft works. RPG's: Rance and Kiseki)

On 3/4/2016 at 3:41 PM, OriginalRen said:

hipsters i mean those who like old obscure stuff not many people know about and dislike mainstream and popular stuff.

8 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

hipsters i mean those who like old obscure stuff not many people know about and dislike mainstream and popular stuff.

b-but those are whom i personally consider beeing true fans - not giving in to escapism, leading a life thats fully devoted to their main heroines only & aggressively fighting/rallying against "la generica magna"