The Flowers demo is a hot mess

Decay

11 hours ago, KuroganeHomura said:

Edit:

That seems like a trademark Clinton response--lead the audience on to think you're agreeing with them while actually saying nothing.  Notice the words "entirely" and "retranslated" are missing from the second response, completely changing the meaning.

I get the impression that JAST is missing the point (perhaps purposefully).  The TL quality of the demo is not what people are worried about.

14 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

That seems like a trademark Clinton response--lead the audience on to think you're agreeing with them while actually saying nothing.  Notice the words "entirely" and "retranslated" are missing from the second response, completely changing the meaning.

I get the impression that JAST is missing the point (perhaps purposefully).  The TL quality of the demo is not what people are worried about.

I mean, it isn't like they have much time left to fix what seems to be an issue of the TL-er flat out not understanding what he is translating. It makes no sense though, that with this rabid of a community with VN fans, that they released such a disaster of a demo. 

My guess is that those in charge didn't even realize the state it was in.  We've seen this over and over from JAST in the past year.  That's what happens when you don't have an adequate QC process in place.  You can't expect top decision-makers to screen every product.  Instead, it needs to be someone's job to do that and report back to the decision-makers.

I don't expect them to retranslate it from scratch. That would be ideal, but unrealistic. 

I agree that it is primarily a problem of inadequate management and oversight (see my commentary in this week's VNTS). I feel that JAST was likely unaware of just how bad it was. I mean, anyone could have looked at that demo and thought that releasing it was a really bad idea. Did they expect people to begrudgingly accept it? Doubtful. I've heard stories about how JAST works before and I would fully believe that the translator had no one checking the quality of their work, which there's no excuse for.

1 hour ago, CeruleanGamer said:

What is this... I dont even???

Ahhh JAST is making my head spin with all these silly decisions they are making. But I still love you more than SP.... Hang in there...

Now all they have to do is abuse kickstarter, license way too many VNs at one time, ignore some of their licensed VNs, and they'll be there :makina:

2 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I asked JAST and Swaps4 if they plan to retranslate the full game.  No response.

The situation has reached the point that the Japanese are even blogging about it.  Innocent Grey must be aghast.  The Japanese are very sensitive about their public image.

just read through the little blogpost of his and indeed, all what´s been written/ listed there is quite frightening, so to speak. no matter the amount of efforts it may take, but this issue has to be resolved pretty fast, or serious damage will be done, non only to JAST´s reputation, but also to the one of western publishers in general, regardless of them beeing non involved in said matter.
abysmal promo like this sure scares off any potential interests, who are non totally desperate financially and do care about their works getting threated with respect :/

5 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I asked JAST and Swaps4 if they plan to retranslate the full game.  No response.

The situation has reached the point that the Japanese are even blogging about it.  Innocent Grey must be aghast.  The Japanese are very sensitive about their public image.

I asked Jast on twitter if they plan to fix technical issues... Same effect.

3 hours ago, Scorp said:

I asked Jast on twitter if they plan to fix technical issues... Same effect.

We should honestly give up on them trying to fix everything. They're not gonna push back the release date which means they won't have time to fix every single thing about it and they'll be forced to put out a bad product.

Just now, sanahtlig said:

What irks me is that JAST is going to burn further time and resources trying to edit an irreparable translation.  It's not only a disservice to their customers.  It's a waste of effort.

They have their focus in the wrong place. They think all we're complaining about is the translation when there are many other errors with it, but it's too late and they're gonna have to release a bad product that'll affect JAST's reputation pretty badly.

This is just the latest in a series of QC blunders.  Honestly I'm not concerned about their reputation at this point, because they obviously aren't.  My actual concern: Are they going to wake up and fix the systematic issues with their QC process that allow these issues to get through in the first place?  If this had been caught early in the project we wouldn't be in this situation and JAST wouldn't have to scramble to perform damage control.  The more this escalates, the more likely JAST will make the process changes needed to prevent something like this from happening again.  I'll happily watch JAST go down in flames over this if that's what it takes for them to learn their lesson this time.

23 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

They have their focus in the wrong place. They think all we're complaining about is the translation when there are many other errors with it, but it's too late and they're gonna have to release a bad product that'll affect JAST's reputation pretty badly.

Why did JAST have to fuck up the one release a lot of people were looking forward...not to mention that it might've been the gateways into yuri i  couldn't find in any other of the genre.

Sigh :vinty:

7 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

This is just the latest in a series of QC blunders.  Honestly I'm not concerned about their reputation at this point, because they obviously aren't.  My actual concern: Are they going to wake up and fix the systematic issues with their QC process that allow these issues to get through in the first place?  If this had been caught early in the project we wouldn't be in this situation and JAST wouldn't have to scramble to perform damage control.  The more this escalates, the more likely JAST will make the process changes needed to prevent something like this from happening again.  I'll happily watch JAST go down in flames over this if that's what it takes for them to learn their lesson this time.

I'm just waiting for the same thing to happen to Sekai Project. Both companies need to learn something from the nearly failed Root Double kickstarter to this bad translation. Mangagamer has been doing things consistently right as of late and JAST/SP can learn from them.

3 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Why did JAST have to fuck up the one release a lot of people were looking forward...not to mention that it might've been the gateways into yuri i  couldn't find in any other of the genre.

Sigh :vinty:

"There's always Sono Hanabira" Derg would say, but I agree with you. Flowers is apparently a really good yuri VN that could've brought a lot of people into the genre and introduce more people to how great Innocent Grey is, but instead we get this...JAST is on my hitlist now because of this :vinty: