Getchu Bishoujo Game Awards 2015 are out

ChaosRaven

44 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

Your typical japanese consumer has preety low standards nowadays, when it comes to vn's; that said, can't blame them for the kind of market they have.

As usual, the most interesting games aren't even in the top 10. It literally makes you want to cry out to heavens for vengeance.

Care to tell what are these most interesting games? At least some examples?

A lot of promising games here I must say, some interesting ones (like my love child maggot baits) and some stuff that looks pretty..eh (sorry frontwing, stars and astronomy is overdone by now).

Cant wait to play them all!

Also stop pretending that learning japanese needs to like consume big parts of your life just because you wanna learn it. I just hear one excuse after another basically, do it on your own tempo and a way that suits you, you can even do it without spending a dime OR your precious college time.

There is

no

excuse

10 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Care to tell what are these most interesting games? At least some examples?

I played the Koi x Shin Ai Kanojo trial and it's a really solid game with gorgeous artwork, if you like coming of age stories with pure romance. Bishoujo Mangekyou is interesting, but definately not to everyone's tastes, either. Maggot baits is what it is - a marketing bait; Pulltop? Nope. Frontwing's last baby? Hit or miss. Silverio Vendetta is cool, but lies flat compared to Light's previous titles. Sakura no Uta, eh... I guess most voted out of pity for the creator, since it was basically the DNF of eroge world and isn't even nowhere as good as Subahibi. Can't say much about Amakano or Evenicle; as for the latter, it's your typical AliceSoft RPG hybrid, but I heard good things about it and AliceSoft usually never fails to deliver in that department; just don't expect anything unusual. I guess the only game, which doesn't lie about itself would be Boku to Koi Suru Ponkotsu Akuma - it's certainly what it is on the tin and does not fail at it; it's preety enjoyable and has Sayori's artwork, what else would you ask for?

The rest is your typical run-of-the-mill monthly moege trash, which usually doesn't deserve more than a passing glimpse. Gods only know how did Sanoba Witch ended up on second place.

5 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

I played the Koi x Shin Ai Kanojo trial and it's a really solid game with gorgeous artwork, if you like coming of age stories with pure romance. Bishoujo Mangekyou is interesting, but definately not to everyone's tastes, either. Maggot baits is what it is - a marketing bait; Pulltop? Nope. Frontwing's last baby? Hit or miss. Silverio Vendetta is cool, but lies flat compared to Light's previous titles. Sakura no Uta, eh... I guess most voted out of pity for the creator, since it was basically the DNF of eroge world and isn't even nowhere as good as Subahibi. Can't say much about Amakano or Evenicle; as for the latter, it's your typical AliceSoft RPG hybrid, but I heard good things about it and AliceSoft usually never fails to deliver in that department; just don't expect anything unusual. I guess the only game, which doesn't lie about itself would be Boku to Koi Suru Ponkotsu Akuma - it's certainly with it is on the tin and does not fail at it; it's preety enjoyable and has Sayori's artwork, what else would you ask for?

The rest is your typical run-of-the-mill monthly moege trash, which usually doesn't deserve more than a passing glimpse. Gods only know how did Sanoba Witch ended up on second place.

Wanted to know what you thought that should have been in top10 but whatever. :miyako:

PS. I know my moeges well and think they deserve the place :makina:

5 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Tell me about it.  Also the fact that there is 0 classes for me to learn or simply get a basic grasp of Japanese anywhere around me and i don't know anyone who speaks it. I honestly don't know if i'll ever learn it regardless how much i try. First 3 types of alphabets, then grammar and all that crap and then you simply need to learn all their words as well. It's such an undertaking that it's almost rude to keep saying "learn japanese" to anyone, like it's the most basic and simplest task in the world.

My grandparents had a habit of learning new languages when they entered retirement and by the time I know it, they know 6-7 languages already... For some reason, learning new languages seems easier when you are old and retired because you don't have to stress out about work and stuff and only have 1-2 things in mind.

Now I can't really imagine myself still playing VNs when I'm 70-80 years old, so I doubt learning Japanese by that time instead of now would be of any benefit to me....

So yeah, if you are not in the working world yet, learn Japanese now or forever regret it!!!

2 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

My grandparents had a habit of learning new languages when they entered retirement and by the time I know it, they know 6-7 languages already... For some reason, learning new languages seems easier when you are old and retired because you don't have to stress out about work and stuff and only have 1-2 things in mind.

Now I can't really imagine myself still playing VNs when I'm 70-80 years old, so I doubt learning Japanese by that time instead of now would be of any benefit to me....

So yeah, if you are not in the working world yet, learn Japanese now or forever regret it!!!

You're overblowing things out of proportion; it's never too late, the problem lies in perseverance.

1 minute ago, Narcosis said:

You're overblowing things out of proportion; it's never too late, the problem lies in perseverance.

It's on a case-by-case scenario. If you are working 80+ hours a week and have to raise a family, it's gonna be extremely challenging to fit some time in there to learn a new language. 

23 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

Those pools are biased anyway. There's plenty of far better games, that even haven't made it to the list, or weren't mentioned at all. If a game's popular, it doesn't automatically make it good; it's just a sign of what majority feels comfortable with for the most part.

Oh well don't answer my question then :miyako: 

Edit: Nvm I think you answered it actually in a way, my bad. Still kinda interested in these your titles that didn't make it to the list.

Getchu awards seem to be more of a popularity than quality contest; surprised to see 花咲ワークスプリング! and 果つることなき未来ヨリ on the list even though they were getting pretty bad reviews, while the lack of Fairytale Requiem is a mortal sin against mankind as it was probably the second best game last year (after Sakura no Uta).

Other entries seem to be fairly legit, although サノバウィッチ, ソーサリージョーカーズ, 見上げてごらん、夜空の星を seem oddly high compared to ランス03 リーザス陥落, シルヴァリオ ヴェンデッタ, and Maggot baits if you look at erogamescape. The only other games that I can think of as missing from those awards are ゾンビのあふれた世界で俺だけが襲われない, but they probably don't allow doujin games into the context to begin with, and Bansenjin (maybe they don't allow fan discs either?).

7 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Gods only know how did Sanoba Witch ended up on second place.

Yuzu Soft games place high every year, it's no surprise. They also sell like hotcakes too, yet their scores on EGS remain average for basically all of their games. 

Most of the people probably vote based on enjoyment. 

4 hours ago, Conjueror said:

(maybe they don't allow fan discs either?).

I'm pretty sure they do, it's just most people probably want to vote for new titles they played rather than fan-disks. 

12 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

It's such an undertaking that it's almost rude to keep saying "learn japanese" to anyone, like it's the most basic and simplest task in the world.

"Time to Learn Japanese" is a sort of meme around here spawned by one of my blog posts.  It's not meant to be taken (that) seriously.

Ask sanahtlig: Answers to Common Issues and Concerns in the VN community

Just for comparison, this is Getchu's sales ranking 2015. I've also added a list of the top twenty below. Only the entries which didn't appear already in the Getchu awards got an image and VNDB link for easier differentiation (and less work). Some interesting observations:

I'm not sure what's more shocking, that Angel Beats didn't make it into the Getchu awards or that nobody even seemed to miss it. I think this is the first time that this happened to a major Key title, but it at least did sell well. Poor Key - beaten by Custom Maid 3D2. ^_^

Eushully might not haven been happy about the ratings for Kami no Rhapsody but they certainly won't complain about the sales on third place. The same applies to Chrono Clock from Purple Software as well on fifth place.

It also shows that a good writer isn't a guaranty for a good story. Both Looseboy's 'Boku no Hitori Sensou' and Ou Jacksons/Takahiro's Anekouji 'Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami' didn't get good ratings even if their titles sold well. That's why I love good artists - they always deliver. :rolleyes:

Edit: List fixed and several titles made it in from the Getchu winners like Sakura no Uta or... Custom Maid 3DR2. Other new titles are from Favorite, Feng and Ensemble.

1.) Sanoba Witch (Yuzusoft)

2.) Custom Maid 3D2 (KISS) :wacko:

3.) Kami no Rhapsody (Eushully)

22511.jpg

4.) Primal Hearts 2 (Marmalade)

5.) Chrono Clock (Purple Software)

24141.jpg

6.) Angel Beats! (Key)

24558.jpg

7.) Haru Kiss (Giga)

24203.jpg

8.) Akai Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai (Favorite)

23930.jpg

9.) Sakura no Uta (Makura)

10.) Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori (Front Wing)

11.) Hanasaki Work Spring! (Saga Planets)

12.) Imouto no Seiiki (Feng)

25208.jpg

13.) Tokeijikake no Ley Line -Asagiri ni Chiru Hana- (Unison Shift: Blossom)

14.) Soreyori no Prologue (Minori)

15.) Koi Suru Kimochi no Kasanekata (Ensemble)

27066.jpg

16.) Pretty x Cation 2 (Hibiki Works)

23504.jpg

17.) Anekouji Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami (Minator Carnival)

22728.jpg

18.) Boku no Hitori Sensou (Akabei Soft2)

25168.jpg

19.) Koko kara Natsu no Innocence! (Clochette)

20.) Amakano ~Second Season~ (Azarashi Soft)

51 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Just for comparison, this is Getchu's sales ranking 2015. I've also added a list of the top twenty below. Only the entries which didn't appear already in the Getchu awards got an image and VNDB link for easier differentiation (and less work). Some interesting observations:

I'm not sure what's more shocking, that Angel Beats didn't make it into the Getchu awards or that nobody even seemed to miss it. I think this is the first time that this happened to a major Key title, but it at least did sell well. Poor Key - beaten by Custom Maid 3D2. ^_^

The next big surprise is that Sakura no Uta didn't even make it in the top 50. While it's not unusual that the Getchu winner isn't a top ten seller, I'm not sure if it ever happened before that it didn't even make in the top 50.

Eushully might not haven been happy about the ratings for Kami no Rhapsody but they certainly won't complain about the sales on second place. The same applies to Chrono Clock from Purple Software as well on third place.

It also shows that a good writer isn't a guaranty for a good story. Both Looseboy's 'Boku no Hitori Sensou' and Ou Jacksons/Takahiro's Anekouji 'Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami' didn't get good ratings even if their titles sold well. That's why I love good artists - they always deliver. :rolleyes:

2.) Kami no Rhapsody (Eushully)

3.) Chrono Clock (Purple Software)

4.) Angel Beats! (Key)

9.) Anekouji Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami (Minator Carnival)

10.) Pretty x Cation 2 (Hibiki Works)

11.) Boku no Hitori Sensou (Akabei Soft2)

12.) Rensou Relation (Lump of Sugar)

14.) Hana no No ni Saku Utakata no (Applique)

16.) Alia's Carnival! Flowering Sky (NanaWind)

17.) Puramai Wars (ASa Project)

19.) Verethragna ~Seisen no Duelist~ (Astronauts: Sirius)

20.) Yuki Koi Melt (Front Wing)

Damn, that is a lot different from the actual countdown of the "best." I'm not really surprised though. They all look decent.

On 2/3/2016 at 6:40 AM, Kawasumi said:

Also stop pretending that learning japanese needs to like consume big parts of your life just because you wanna learn it. I just hear one excuse after another basically, do it on your own tempo and a way that suits you, you can even do it without spending a dime OR your precious college time.

There is

no

excuse

Excuse me for not being in college (graduated), having a full-time job (teach law and American history), a part-time job (watch kids in an after school program for 4 hours each day I also have the full-time job), and have a semi-social life. So no I do not have the time and yes I have a perfectly reasonable excuse (hell if you don't think I do become a teacher and get back to me).

Back on topic I have no idea if any of these games are of any actual worth but we're in such limited supply that I wouldn't mind trying any of them. Might immediately hate half of them but hey might as well try. It's thanks to the three resident visual novel readers that we even know if anything is any good at all. Even then we're assuming that other people will like the same taste and writing that they do but what else can we do. 

For the record I've been slowly trying to get through Parfait Second Brew since I bought it but since I'm not exactly fluent in japanese (took 1 semester in college) it's been a bit of a struggle and since getting a full-time job just haven't had the time to continue. Would be nice if it one day was translated though. I can hope.

4 hours ago, kyrt said:

Excuse me for not being in college (graduated), having a full-time job (teach law and American history), a part-time job (watch kids in an after school program for 4 hours each day I also have the full-time job), and have a semi-social life. So no I do not have the time and yes I have a perfectly reasonable excuse (hell if you don't think I do become a teacher and get back to me).

Back on topic I have no idea if any of these games are of any actual worth but we're in such limited supply that I wouldn't mind trying any of them. Might immediately hate half of them but hey might as well try. It's thanks to the three resident visual novel readers that we even know if anything is any good at all. Even then we're assuming that other people will like the same taste and writing that they do but what else can we do. 

For the record I've been slowly trying to get through Parfait Second Brew since I bought it but since I'm not exactly fluent in japanese (took 1 semester in college) it's been a bit of a struggle and since getting a full-time job just haven't had the time to continue. Would be nice if it one day was translated though. I can hope.

oh yeah man I totally see why you dont have the time even though your signature tells me that you're playing 10 games at the same time.

Yeah, let's not make that talk about learning Japanese get out of hand. Whatever we say, it's not like a person will learn Japanese shortly after he tries to. We all have different sets of values and priorities. If you prioritize learning a language over other stuff, good for you. You'll learn Japanese fast since you're actually dedicating your time to it. If you prioritize playing games or living your life in some other way, then good for you too. You're using up your time for something you really like, or something really important. Or maybe we're just wasting it. If we don't learn Japanese because we can't seem to set aside time to learn it for ourselves, then that's our problem. You can just laugh at us as we squirm like the plebs we are, waiting for the translation gods to let us partake in the blessing of translated visual novels. It just means that we have other stuff that we can do besides read visual novels. It's just a hobby, after all. In the end, it'll be our decision if we want to take that hobby to the next level or do something else with our lives.

Getting back to the main topic, congratulations to Alicesoft for getting Evenicle and Rance 03 in there. <3

Also, good for Sakura no Uta. It was able to live to the hype, apparently.

14 minutes ago, KosakiFag said:

Yeah, let's not make that talk about learning Japanese get out of hand. Whatever we say, it's not like a person will learn Japanese shortly after he tries to. We all have different sets of values and priorities. If you prioritize learning a language over other stuff, good for you. You'll learn Japanese fast since you're actually dedicating your time to it. If you prioritize playing games or living your life in some other way, then good for you too. You're using up your time for something you really like, or something really important. Or maybe we're just wasting it. If we don't learn Japanese because we can't seem to set aside time to learn it for ourselves, then that's our problem. You can just laugh at us as we squirm like the plebs we are, waiting for the translation gods to let us partake in the blessing of translated visual novels. It just means that we have other stuff that we can do besides read visual novels. It's just a hobby, after all. In the end, it'll be our decision if we want to take that hobby to the next level or do something else with our lives.

Getting back to the main topic, congratulations to Alicesoft for getting Evenicle and Rance 03 in there. <3

Also, good for Sakura no Uta. It was able to live to the hype, apparently.

you see, now you're saying the same as everybody else, learning japanese doesnt need to take up your whole life, heck, im still learning and I only spend like 1-5% of my doing japanese stuff. Im not scoffling at people that feel like its a waste of time to learn japanese like @Decay, but at least be honest about it :P

8 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

you see, now you're saying the same as everybody else, learning japanese doesnt need to take up your whole life, heck, im still learning and I only spend like 1-5% of my doing japanese stuff. Im not scoffling at people that feel like its a waste of time to learn japanese like @Decay, but at least be honest about it :P

I'm not saying that it'll take up your whole life, heh. It's just that some people will inevitably not do it because they just won't. I honestly just can't find it in myself to give time to learning it at this point in my life, so I'm waiting for the required credits in my course to jumpstart my Japanese studies since I'm required to choose a foreign language to learn next semester. Anyway, I'll stop here.