How is Noble Works?

Mugi

It's been about 7 months or so since I've read a VN, and after playing through Persona 4 Golden three times in a row, I want to get back into them. Noble Works looks perfect for the job, but how is it? I've heard pretty mixed things about it. It looks like it might be like Princess Evangile, is that accurate? I really liked PE, so if it's similar I might just pick it up right now.

1 hour ago, Mugi said:

It's been about 7 months or so since I've read a VN, and after playing through Persona 4 Golden three times in a row, I want to get back into them. Noble Works looks perfect for the job, but how is it? I've heard pretty mixed things about it. It looks like it might be like Princess Evangile, is that accurate? I really liked PE, so if it's similar I might just pick it up right now.

Noble Works is doing fine. You should ask it yourself.

In all honesty, I haven't had the chance to play it because visual novel translations are coming out faster than I can finish them.

It's good. Princess Evangile is a decent comparison, but the drama is usually a bit lighter. I'd also say that it's just funnier in general than PE, and I like Yuzusoft's art better than Moonstone's.

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

wouldnt P4G be considered a visual novel?

Nope. Not even a little.

If you are asking if it is a good VN, the answer is yes.  I don't know what the tled version looks like, but the game itself is one of the more memorable pieces of VN history I've played over the last seven years.  It isn't a kamige, but it is immensely enjoyable.

12 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

sorry i was confused since theres an auto advance option, characters with illustrated sprites, looooooooooooooooooots of dialogue, spoken dialogue that has text at the bottom of the screen, a silent mc, and a story revolving around high schoolers. what was i thinking.

You've played VNs with silent protagonists before? That seems like a rather unique way to write a VN protagonist. P4 shares a lot of tropes with VNs, but it none of the actual important bits. 

Anyways, none of this is relevant to the thread, Mugi should just know that Noble Works is good and that he should read it.

I am roughly 80% done with Noble Works. It's not like Princess Evangile when it comes to drama because the drama in the game is very light and mostly consists of the protagonist and the girl trying to sort out their relationship, not an outside influence or third party trying to interfere with it like the headmistress or Masaya's dad in Princess Evangile. It's not bad in a way, because drama sometimes ruins visual novels when not executed properly. Noble Works goes with the safe route and doesn't rely too much on it when it comes to conflicts.

In general quality, Noble Works is several levels above Princess Evangile (which is essentially one of the dullest charage I've ever played).

Edit: Of course, Moonstone in general creates 4 kusoge for every decent one they put out... like Natsu no Iro no Nostalgia and Maji Suki

I'm currently in the middle of Maya's route and so far it's certainly one of the better written moeges I've read. Though currently it's dragging on a bit, especially compared to the pretty cool start of the VN.

The disappointment that Chiaki didn't get a route is also still nagging at me. And why Makoto didn't get a route either is beyond me considering that she seems to be the closest thing to a main heroine so far. When they decided which girls get routes they certainly didn't go after IQ.

I probably just read Maya's and Akari's routes. Hearing Sena's voice almost makes me fall asleep and Shizuru is too immature for my taste. Hinata is kind of okay, but she's too loli for a romance route. But I do like the interaction between her and the protagonist - it's absolutely hilarious at times. They have a good chemistry.

24 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Many of you mentioned Princess Evangile. Care to elaborate the differencess between those two?

Noble Works is in a rich co-ed school setting. Princess Evangile is in a rich female-only school where the protagonist (Masaya) is basically like a "trial" student to decide whether the school should be co-ed in the future. 

Princess Evangile is more on a charage side and Noble Works is more moege. The difference between the two? Charage is more character interaction focused rather than overarching plots. Moege is basically slapping cute characters on a visual novel doing cute things to develop a cute atmosphere. I consider it more a subgenre of charage than a whole new classification hence you will see the two overlap all the time. 

5 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Princess Evangile is more on a charage side and Noble Works is more moege. The difference between the two? Charage is more character interaction focused rather than overarching plots. Moege is basically slapping cute characters on a visual novel doing cute things to develop a cute atmosphere. I consider it more a subgenre of charage than a whole new classification hence you will see the two overlap all the time. 

Hmm, judging by this definition I would say it's the exact opposite: Princess Evangile is the moege and Noble Works the charage. From what I've read so far Noble Works has lot better character interaction while Princess Evangile was mostly the protagonist watching a huge moe blob talking with each other and giving every five minutes a comment. The protagonist in Noble Works also has some common sense what I can't exactly say for the one from Princess Evangile. Character interaction gets better in the individual routes though. Before that it's mostly Konomi that saves the day.

Btw, I kind of like how dynamic the sprites in Noble Works are. I can't remember another VN where the character sprites could turn around and look away from the protagonist.