What are you playing?

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

@Seraphim88 By the way, ideally I would recommend to read Saikoroshi-hen from Higurashi Rei right after finishing the main Higurashi series. I wouldn't really call it a requirement, but it gives the proper closure to the character development of

Reveal hidden contents

Rika.

The problem is that, even if it does have a fan translation available, there's a chance that Mangagamer will retranslate it. At least, originally they were planning to translate the whole PC release of Higurashi Hou, which includes Rei. I'm not sure if the plans are still valid though.

It's already confirmed that they'll release Rei. The OG translation is of low quality.

4 minutes ago, Silvz said:

It's already confirmed that they'll release Rei. The OG translation is of low quality.

Yeah, but hasn't it been 5 years since they confirmed it for the last time or something? As for the translation quality, honestly, I don't remember much about it. Unlike the main game, it was done by fan-translators, and I seem to recall that it was better, but maybe it's just my low standards. :)

They had to finish re-releasing the main arcs before working on Hou.

It's important to note that there is only one person working on Higurashi, so it would be impossible to start the work on Rei without finishing the other arcs. That is also why they took so long to finish the series.

Edited by Silvz

[11eyes] I finished Yuka's route yesterday... If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 3/5 but I'm not sure if that's even for the route itself because I couldn't notice that much of a division between the main action plot and the romance plot. Some would say this is good, myself included, but it was done in such a way that nothing actually changed until suddenly boom, the protagonist loves her. It feels really weird and artificial. Besides that, I never liked Yuka, not one bit. She is insufferable :notlikemiya: Anyways, the ending left me with even more questions than answers, but I'm guessing that is on purpose, as there is the true ending waiting for me but still;;;; I don't like when the vn is written in a way that the other heroines seem not to matter at all.

Spoiler

Now... if there's one thing I enjoyed and was NOT expecting, it was the Kukuri betrayal scene :ren: She did not even hesitate, fucking amazing. I'm still wondering why she did that tho. I'm also guessing she's the one that revived all of them and kind of reversed everything to normal, "before" the Red Night hmmmmmm 

I just finished Ako's route in Making Lovers. The route wasn't bad, although when it comes to the stepsister routes, Sakuno's route from Mashiroiro Symphony remeains unrivalled in my book. But then, the ending was so lackluster and disappointing... meh, meh and once again meh :( 

Now there's Karen's route left, which is supposed to be good, or even the best, so I have some expectations here ;)

Okay, so I finally finished Making * Lovers.

It was really fun - very lighthearted, and making me feeling good and smiling most of the time :)

While Karen's route was definitely the best (and I'm glad I kept it for last), my personal best girl is Saki (whose route I've read first). Karen would be the second in that ranking, but a close second. And then Mashiro I guess.

Reina gets special prize for the most heartwarming epilogue.

Spoiler

20200620110144-1.jpg

On the contrary, Ako's ending was one of the most unsatisfying things I saw recently - felt almost like a "normal end".

Art looks nice, music and voices sound good, and I liked the translation. If I had to nitpick, then attempted drama in some routes fell flat - it didn't have the emotional impact needed for it to work. But still it was very enjoyable piece of moege. I'd say, a notch better than Fureraba - and I'm really glad they left the dating sim mechanics out this time - so that means 8/10.

Now I think I'm going to read ATRI.

Just finished ATRI.

All in all, I had a great time reading it; more so than I expected, even though I'm already a fan of Konno Asta. I'd say this isn't far from becoming one of my all-time favorites, but I have one gripe with it that makes it not reach quite all the way, and that's the true ending, which I have some mixed feelings about. It's not bad; in fact, it's both well written and suits the plot, but at the same time, it was a bit too clear-cut to make it satisfying for me. To clarify, while moving into minor spoiler territory:

Spoiler

I'm usually not a fan of long time skips, where you're just told of major events that took place off-screen while you weren't looking. Much like in Amane's ending in Grisaia no Kajitsu, where you learn that

Spoiler

Yuuji passed away prematurely from cancer,

I would much rather be left with a blank slate so I can theorize on my own about what happens in the future.
To be honest, I usually don't like open endings either, but I feel that would have been preferable in this case. (Unless I could get a purely happy ending, which is what I feel would actually suit this VN the best.)

Now, time to move on to Adabana. (Sorry, Aniplex, you won't be getting any money for this.)

9 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Now, time to move on to Adabana. (Sorry, Aniplex, you won't be getting any money for this.)

I'm tempted to try Asta's earliest VN - Natsu no Ame next.
(I was lucky to score physical edition from Amazon for a great price.)
IMG-20200205-161858235.jpg

(I'm not clicking that ATRI spoiler yet, until I get to the ending too)

Edited by adamstan

After coming from ATRI, Adabana seems to be a major step down in terms of playability. The game engine is glitchy as hell, judging by my first minutes with it.
I can't toggle fullscreen in the options (it's greyed out) and if I do it by using Alt+Enter, the stuff on-screen becomes somewhat blurry (as if you've just taken an image at a low resolution and increased the size by dragging). UI icons are highlighted with an annoyingly long delay, and some of them are highlighted even when you're not targeting them.
There doesn't seem to be any hotkey for switching between English/Japanese either, like you could in ATRI. (At the very least, nothing I've tried has worked and there's no mention of any way to do it in the options.)
It's apparently also one of those VNs where you have to keep the mouse cursor visible on-screen at all times to progress text.

I sure hope the story is good enough to warrant enduring this crapfest.

Edited by Seraphim88

Well, they are from different devs, and run on totally different engines. ATRI runs on KiriKiri, while, according to VNDB, Adabana uses Silky Engine (also used by Nanairo Reincarnation). The only thing they share is publisher.

But it's definitely a bummer. Unresponsive or otherwise crappy UI can ruin any game, VNs included.

Edited by adamstan

I had no issues whatsoever with Nanairo Reincarnation from what I can remember, so this must be a screw-up from either the developer or the coders in the localization team then. I could accept stuff like this if I was trying to run a VN from the 90's on a modern system, but for one released in 2020, not so much.

So I finished MYTH a few days ago. It's kind of hard to talk about since it's one of those VNs that don't really lend themselves to being discussed in terms of superficial production values or plot consistency, kind of like SubaHibi or The Silver Case. Personally I think I liked it despite still not being able to pinpoint what it actually wants to tell its audience. I'll probably need to read it again at some point to get a better understanding.

I just finished ATRI, and I'm in tears :rubycry:

This VN is nakige that seems to be very good at tugging at my heartstrings. It was great read, and while I recognized tropes from many other works, it just all worked well together. Judging by the length and unknown publisher, I seriously didn't expect it to be that good. Some of the ATRI's backstory reminded me a bit of Tanaka Romero's writing. Obviously there are also many KEY influences - it's almost unavoidable when you're making nakige ;)

All in all, it was great, I can rate it on the same level as Kanon or Summer Pockets with confidence - so it's 8.5/10 from me.

5 hours ago, EroHataVNI said:

Atri is a very good game, but Aniplex.exe is not a new star on the localization heaven. 

True, but it's their first attempt at VN publishing, so they were new to me, since I'm not too familiar with anime localizations, which seems to be their primary field.

Edited by adamstan

9 minutes ago, adamstan said:

how long did it take you to complete English version?

Hard to say, I'm afraid. I have a bad habit of pausing in the middle of gaming sessions and then leaving the games on in the background for extended amounts of time while I do other stuff. As such, my playtime on Steam can usually never be trusted. In ATRI's case, the timer says "29 hours", but you could probably shave off roughly 10 hours from that.

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

Hard to say, I'm afraid. I have a bad habit of pausing in the middle of gaming sessions and then leaving the games on in the background for extended amounts of time while I do other stuff. As such, my playtime on Steam can usually never be trusted. In ATRI's case, the timer says "29 hours", but you could probably shave off roughly 10 hours from that.

mine says 37 hours, so I get your struggle