What are you playing?

If you don't like mystery, then you probably shouldn't even touch Umineko. It's an integral part of what that VN is.

Some REALLY MAJOR Umineko spoilers, in case Deep Blue ever wants to just give up and read about out one of the key elements of the story. Which actually gets revealed (or at least made super obvious) in Chapter 4 (of 8). 

Spoiler

No really.

Spoiler

Every murder that happens on the island happens without the use of any form of magic at all. Even those murders you failed to find an explanation for in Chapter 1 and claimed that it was obvious it was magic? Not magic. Moreover, these aren't actually total asspulls and make sense and are foreshadowed. But still likely completely unexpected until Chiru. Umineko becomes a study on how people try to explain the unexplainable in their lives, and the means of escapism people employ to cope with terrible life circumstances. So in a sense, despite all of the supernatural elements, it ISN'T actually a supernatural murder mystery, but is instead a regular mystery that constantly teases the readers with the easy way out.

55 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Umineko is magnificent. Play it. 

It's longer than 150 hours but there's nothing, nothing quite like it. It's unique. 

Eh, I think it's close to around 100 hours actually but it will vary based on read speed. I read it every single day for a month straight in order to finish it, but I didn't spend THAT many hours per day on it. I don't think. BTW, you've started reading Higurashi eh? Are you going to stick to the MangaGamer retranslations? I really wish those had a faster release schedule. 2 a year is so agonizingly slow, especially since they plan on translating the bonus chapters as well. They really should be releasing these every other month.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

BTW, you've started reading Higurashi eh? Are you going to stick to the MangaGamer retranslations? I really wish those had a faster release schedule. 2 a year is so agonizingly slow, especially since they plan on translating the bonus chapters as well. They really should be releasing these every other month.

I've heard that there had been translator issues and that that was the reason Watanagashi took so long. I'll probably stick to the retranslations since 1) I'll be buying them that way and 2) I've heard the previous TL is notoriously bad.

Also it means an influx of new readers, so there's the fact that I could debate with all the other beginners to Higurashi (Which is something I really would have loved to have with Umineko tbh). Also, Tatarigoroshi is 100% TL and editing, so it should be coming out pretty quickly. Wonder how long the PS3 graphic+ voice patch will take.

In the meantime, I'll probably replay the first two chapters and take notes this time around, lol

Watanagashi took a long time, but it has also been 4.5 months since its release. Tatarigoroshi is poised to take as long or longer to come out than Watanagashi did. So basically, they haven't resolved jack with their translator issues. It's funny, MG has said multiple times that "Okay, everything is going to go super smoothly from now on!" and every time they have, it seems like they've actually slowed down instead. This retranslation effort needed a rapid release schedule in order to keep the interest of the non-hardcore fans on Steam. Now all hope of that is lost, at this rate this whole re-release plan will end up being a total failure.

Just now, Decay said:

Watanagashi took a long time, but it has also been 4.5 months since it's release. Tatarigoroshi is poised to take as long or longer to come out than Watanagashi did. So basically, they haven't resolved jack with their translator issues. It's funny, MG has said multiple times that "Okay, everything is going to go super smoothly from now on!" and every time they have, it seems like they've actually slowed down instead. This retranslation effort needed a rapid release schedule in order to keep the interest of the non-hardcore fans on Steam. Now all hope of that is lost, at this rate this whole re-release plan will end up being a total failure.

Well, fuck

Since I finished Beat Blades Haruka and it's still a few days until Tokyo Babel gets released, I've picked up Aoishiro, the shoujo AI all ages VN as my next English title to read now. The character art looks rather dated, but it makes up for it a bit with animated face parts and lots of event CGs. I like the dark and mysterious atmosphere so far and apparently it has 

Spoiler

vampires

which is a nice bonus. Not sure what girl I should going for. Hime is unfortunately not a main heroine so I can't pick her. Yasumi looks a bit plain and I'm not the biggest fan of Migiwa. Kohaku would be nice but her permanently closed eye is irritating. I haven't met Kaya and Nami yet but at least Kaya looks kind of interesting. I guess it'll be either Kohaku or Kaya for now.

Well the novel had so many 10 and 9 that it was impossible for me to resist playing it and some parts were really really good but overall I got bored with the plot itself.
I'm not going to read your spoilers @Decay (I really want to.. ) because I will finish it, I've spent so many hours already that it seems like a waste to stop now but with that said... there is some anime, is it based on the visual novel or just some spin off? And if it's based on the novel should I watch it instead of reading the rest of the plot?

2 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

Well the novel had so many 10 and 9 that it was impossible for me to resist playing it and some parts were really really good but overall I got bored with the plot itself.
I'm not going to read your spoilers @Decay (I really want to.. ) because I will finish it, I've spent so many hours already that it seems like a waste to stop now but with that said... there is some anime, is it based on the visual novel or just some spin off? And if it's based on the novel should I watch it instead of reading the rest of the plot?

The anime is all first 4 Episodes of the VN adapted to a single anime season. It's about as successful as a hypothetical nukige programmed, written, drawn, voiced and published by the Saudi Arabian government.

It's probably one of the most insulting VN-> anime conversions, in other words.

So I finished G-senjou no Maou after a pretty long time reading it. (No real spoilers here, but just in case I'll put it in a spoiler tag:)

Spoiler

It wasn't exactly what I had imagined it would be. It was a great VN, of course, but it was ... a little too predictable at times, which made me go kind of ... "Ok ... meh."

I think my opinion of the game will make a lot of people go "WTF!!!"

Chapter 1, good, chapter 2 + Tsbuaki's route, very good, chapter 3 + "Non-Chan's" route, very average, (I don't care about ice skating, sheesh...) Chapter 4 good, Shiratori's route, best part of the entire game, Chapter 5, way too predictable and it becomes a little too anticlimactic. Haru's route, overall pretty decent but not as amazing as I hoped it would be. The prologue, extremely unnecessary but the ending itself was pretty good. I did cry a fair bit at the end :P

Overall, 8/10, though it really gets salvaged by a few points, 1: Chapter 2, 2: Shiratori's route, 3: Kyouske and Gonzou just being badass as fuck. Haru was funny and Maou was badass, but both of them became too... boring and predictable by the end.  I feel that Haru and Maou's battle being the main focus of the VN was a little bit of a bad idea. It just ... yeah I don't know exactly what to say other than: it was way too predictable, making it very dull.

Instead, there should have been more focus on Kyouske and Gonzou.

(And shiratori, because best girl. :makina: )

Anyways, now that I'm done with this I will take a small break from long titles and wait for Tokyo Babel to come out.

Currently reading Lucy - The eternity she wished for. Haven't gotten far, but I am really enjoying it.

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

So I finished G-senjou no Maou after a pretty long time reading it. (No real spoilers here, but just in case I'll put it in a spoiler tag:)

Reveal hidden contents

It wasn't exactly what I had imagined it would be. It was a great VN, of course, but it was ... a little too predictable at times, which made me go kind of ... "Ok ... meh."

I think my opinion of the game will make a lot of people go "WTF!!!"

Chapter 1, good, chapter 2 + Tsbuaki's route, very good, chapter 3 + "Non-Chan's" route, very average, (I don't care about ice skating, sheesh...) Chapter 4 good, Shiratori's route, best part of the entire game, Chapter 5, way too predictable and it becomes a little too anticlimactic. Haru's route, overall pretty decent but not as amazing as I hoped it would be. The prologue, extremely unnecessary but the ending itself was pretty good. I did cry a fair bit at the end :P

Overall, 8/10, though it really gets salvaged by a few points, 1: Chapter 2, 2: Shiratori's route, 3: Kyouske and Gonzou just being badass as fuck. Haru was funny and Maou was badass, but both of them became too... boring and predictable by the end.  I feel that Haru and Maou's battle being the main focus of the VN was a little bit of a bad idea. It just ... yeah I don't know exactly what to say other than: it was way too predictable, making it very dull.

Instead, there should have been more focus on Kyouske and Gonzou.

(And shiratori, because best girl. :makina: )

Anyways, now that I'm done with this I will take a small break from long titles and wait for Tokyo Babel to come out.

Currently reading Lucy - The eternity she wished for. Haven't gotten far, but I am really enjoying it.

Yay, you're finally reading Lucy :mare: <- would've been a Lucy emote if @Nosebleed made one.

I'll race you!!

1 minute ago, ChaosRaven said:

Wow, I met a person who actually liked Shiratori's route. :o That's so rare I have to make a note in my calendar about that...

Yes, I am expecting some "what the fuck!" comments for my opinions on G-senjou. :P

(Come on though, everyone has to love this:)

(G-senjou no Maou spoilers:)

Spoiler

K6xgNjs.png

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

Yes, I am expecting some "what the fuck!" comments for my opinions on G-senjou. :P

(Come on though, everyone has to love this:)

(G-senjou no Maou spoilers:)

Reveal hidden contents

K6xgNjs.png

Don't worry, I've already been grilled countless times in the past for my fondness of Shiratori, we'll fight the haters together ?

I started Amnesia: Memories this weekend since I realised that it's been a while since I played an Otome game. I just about finished 2 routes with almost all of their ends. 

Spoiler

Toma is probably one of the worst yanderes I have ever seen. He is truly a disgusting character and the only 'good' ending he has is where he fucked off and dropped college and never spoke to the MC ever again.

Shin was irritating in his route, but I liked the fact that he is smart. There's that, I guess.

I hope the other 3 are not as bad as the first 2 routes I tried.

44 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Don't worry, I've already been grilled countless times in the past for my fondness of Shiratori, we'll fight the haters together ?

The problem isn't Shiratori, Shiratori actually shows some real guts when dealing with Kyousuke at the start. The problem is how Kyousuke treats her in her route and her self-humilation to keep the relationship going. I was literally scratching the wallpapers from my room walls out of anger how he mistreated her. Shiratori was actually one of my favorite characters and that made her route hurt twice as much. 

44 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

The problem isn't Shiratori, Shiratori actually shows some real guts when dealing with Kyousuke at the start. The problem is how Kyousuke treats her in her route and her self-humilation to keep the relationship going. I was literally scratching the wallpapers from my room walls out of anger how he mistreated her. Shiratori was actually one of my favorite characters and that made her route hurt twice as much. 

You just need some more S in you to enjoy it :holo:

Spoiler

Besides, that part of their relationship is just at the beginning. He treats her well later on. He pretty much starts to treat her well from the point where she forgets her CD in his appartement.

Also, I personally like Kyouske as a protagonist. He is a little flawed. He isn't your normal super nice guy. Uber vanilla, lovey dovey stuff gets old in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

The anime is all first 4 Episodes of the VN adapted to a single anime season. It's about as successful as a hypothetical nukige programmed, written, drawn, voiced and published by the Saudi Arabian government.

It's probably one of the most insulting VN-> anime conversions, in other words.

welp I will have to read the vn then :P 

So I have been busy lately ... lazing around .. :yumiko:

Anyways, I've gotten a little further into Lucy ~ The eternity she wished for ~ and I gotta say, I am loving it. Lucy is such an adorable character. It's quite the nice read at the moment, as I've just landed after reading G-senjou, which was pretty heavy. I do have a feeling there might be some feels coming in the later parts based of how certain things are going though, but that's more than welcome. Overall impression so far: awesome. (I am so good with words, I even amaze myself sometimes.)

Spoiler

When Lucy started doing impressions, it sure cracked me up :wahaha:

JVqelGZ.png

Finished Euphoria

Well what can I say, the true route was every bit as amazing as everyone said.

Spoiler

I actually believed Kanae when she said that the games were a dream. Thought that all the different routes were the dreams repeating. 

The whole character mix up was also unexpected, I knew that there was some different side of Nemu but didn't expect a personality exchange.
Even after it was revealed, it took me quite a while to get used to the shy Nemu. Couldn't help but feel some discrepancy, so the developers succeeded in their aim.

It's great that they tied up all the loose ends and didn't skip out on the explanations.
Particularly the fact that Rinne being Keisuke's daughter was shocking, in her route I thought it was just her being crazy.

The menu theme at the end sure made the scene even more amazing.[\spoiler]

Lastly 

53e588e5098c4fa6aa46ef8d8c065d78.png

Well I finished Lucy ~ The eternity she wished for ~ and it was so beautiful. Such a good read. I ended up losing to @Eclipsed though. (We were racing to see who could finish it first.) Can't belive I lost ... Damnit  :makina:

Anyways, time to start playing Tokyo Babel. Have it downloaded and ready. Will start no lifing it this weekend. (Want to race me again Eclipsed? :holo: )

2 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Well I finished Lucy ~ The eternity she wished for ~ and it was so beautiful. Such a good read. I ended up losing to @Eclipsed though. (We were racing to see who could finish it first.) Can't belive I lost ... Damnit  :makina:

Anyways, time to start playing Tokyo Babel. Have it downloaded and ready. Will start no lifing it this weekend. (Want to race me again Eclipsed? :holo: )

oh its fun to do that, I did that with euphoria and finished in 1 weekend.