What are you playing?

I finished Hikari no Valusia last night, but I was too tired to write anything cohesive. It was my second completed VN in japanese and my 5th Steampunk-game. 

The "One thousand and One Nights"-esque setting was really interesting. The desert city Valusia, it's ancient customs and history. There's even a songstress/storyteller fitting for the the theme, which is utilized very well in the "minigame". (it's just choices like in Gahkhtun)

This time the episodic structure is wilder than ever since there's not even a clear main character. Instead the perspective jumps between multiple characters, offering insight to the events through very differing viewpoints and time frames. There's the young boy and the girl, warrior siblings, foreign Scholar and his assistant, King of Bandits, assassin, a dancer of a harem, governor of Valusia and supervisor of Erudite Scholar Association. Each of them gets their own chapter, some more insignificant than others, but all contributing their own small, yet important part to the story. It might feel little frustrating on the middle, but come final moments of the VN all the parallel stories and perspectives are tied together to a satisfying ending.

Overall I really enjoyed Valusia. The stories Sakurai crafts are always really intriguing both in terms of the actual events and what goes inside the characters itself. And finishing a Sakurai's story feels always so good. Even if it's only for a moment, Sakurai manages to bring out something really beautiful out of the characters, thus out of humans and making world feel like a slightly better place.

Next up, Souten no Celanaria, last Steampunk-game I've yet to read and at the same time the first Steampunk-game released. And I guess there's the Full-voice Fan-disk and Gahkthun Fan-disk too. I also want to read Sharnoth again since I can hardly remember anything worthwhile of it. More so now that I feel like I've finally started to grasp the underlying shadows of Steampunk-world, and I definitely missed most of that in Sharnoth. It wouldn't be a bad idea either to read Inganock again in Japanese and see what I missed...       

11 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Well, Rinne route was written by different writer and while it was really good, it doesn't really 'fit' into euphoria.

It doesn't fit in plot wise or character wise ?

Rika was definitely way different in that route than the others, while we barely knew anything about Rinne in the other routes. 

Some people mentioned that Nemu's and Rinne's routes held the most significance plot wise, so I'd assume that most stuff is hinting towards true route and relevant.

Now I'm halfway through Kanae's common route and ......... Kanae Best Grill

I would say mostly 'atmospheric wise'. It gives totally different vibe than other routes. And also - plot wise. It gives some significant points for true route, but majority of Rinnes route isn't mention in true route at all, which is shame, cause it was awesome.

And do yourself a favor and do a bad/evil ending first, leaving true/good ending for finale. ;)

8 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

I would say mostly 'atmospheric wise'. It gives totally different vibe than other routes. And also - plot wise. It gives some significant points for true route, but majority of Rinnes route isn't mention in true route at all, which is shame, cause it was awesome.

And do yourself a favor and do a bad/evil ending first, leaving true/good ending for finale. ;)

I should reinstall Euphoria and go through the bad ending. 

Spoiler

Did try to replay the true end to get it but ended up coming too often to finish playing it, keks

After a long long break I plan on returning to the VN world with Noble Works because I liked the design when I bought it and because it's not a Vn where you have to think a lot to understand the plot and the relationship between the characters!! :)

Still playing Kindred Spirits on the Roof.
One of the light criticisms some people have of it seems to be how many of the scenes are essentially repeats from a different point of view. Having read a few, 5 or thereabout, I can say with confidence that I really loved these repeated scenes. Every bloody character seems to be interesting, and reading their thoughts only makes it better.
Of course, this is merely a first impression. Who knows how many there actually are in total, and who knows if I won't get sick of it?

4 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

One of the light criticisms some people have of it seems to be how many of the scenes are essentially repeats from a different point of view. Having read a few, 5 or thereabout, I can say with confidence that I really loved these repeated scenes. Every bloody character seems to be interesting, and reading their thoughts only makes it better.
Of course, this is merely a first impression. Who knows how many there actually are in total, and who knows if I won't get sick of it?

Fk, now I really, REALLY, REALLY gotta read Kindred Spirits if Tiago himself is putting in a good word #ikkikoi is awesome.

As much as people tend to hate multiple viewpoints of repeated scenes, I'm a sucker for them, which was why I liked Symph Rain's mid-late game so much. 

~~
The plan is to finish Lucy by this weekend, then Kindred throughout SpringBreak n' Partyhartying.

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I really should dust off my copy and give it a shot. Been kinda waiting on TB - but that's still a few days off~ Sounds like Kindred Spirits has been universally liked (at least everywhere I frequent).

6 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Fk, now I really, REALLY, REALLY gotta read Kindred Spirits if Tiago himself is putting in a good word #ikkikoi is awesome.

You're clearly contradicting yourself, but besides that, what's so unexpected about me praising a game based on pure love? That's the thing I look for the most in VN's. Sure, my definition of 'pure love' is as encompassing as it gets (who says a nukige can't be about pure love?), but this one certainly fits in with the more traditional definitions and is well within my strike zone.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to you, of all people, because most of it is not voiced, and I know how much you love all your commodities. you whippersnapper.

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

You're clearly contradicting yourself, but besides that, what's so unexpected about me praising a game based on pure love? That's the thing I look for the most in VN's. Sure, my definition of 'pure love' is as encompassing as it gets (who says a nukige can't be about pure love?), but this one certainly fits in with the more traditional definitions and is well within my strike zone.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to you, of all people, because most of it is not voiced, and I know how much you love all your commodities. you whippersnapper.

You think too much. 

And I'm not that much of a pls HD graphics n' fully voiced whippersnapper >:c

I tried to finish umineko and it didnt end well, I'm going to put it on hold for a while..

playing Utawarerumono, mixed felling about this one, sometimes it's really good and other really really bad, the characters seems to be well developed or very poorly

Spoiler

nuwangi he is a dick for no reason but it's ok the thing is once his character gets a bit better, when Eruruu says he doesnt hate him (hard to believe but whatever) he dies...
Suonkasu he is bad just for the sake of being the bad guy of the story which again is pretty lame but I can undestand that but then you have Karura acting in some way and at the end she says "I don't hate you" to the guy who was using humans (live humans) as dirt for flowers and Hakuoro stops Deri from killing Suonkasu to give a little time alone to Karura and Suonkasu....because he was dying and crying? wtf is that shit he just confessed to enjoy killing humans and making them fertilizer, he was a slaver, the worst of the worst but oh well he was dying and crying... poor guy? 
I can go on and on with this kind of crap.. every characters is so poorly written there is a lot of potential but it seems that the writer toned down everything to fit an audience of teenage boys,..

Finally the eroge, my god is it bad and good at the same time, when you are drunk and almost fuck Eruruu but the characters explains why it was wrong to fuck her at that point it was pretty good and then you have those "weird dreams" just to fan-service the audience and they are beyond bad D: 

Oh and the gameplay is crap but at least is not hard so that's a good thing i guess.

19 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Umineko has been on my backlog for a long time, now it could be longer, what made it not end well for you? 

Umineko is a weird novel, it's not bad but it's not something I enjoy, is more about resolving a mystery than anything else and while they resolve this mystery they develop the characters bit by bit (tons of characters) 

To put it clearly I got bored, I had to read 20 hours of something I don't care or I find extremely boring to reach what I consider the good parts that don't last longer than 1 or 2 hours at max, it is super long, it's more like a chore than something I enjoy doing, I think I'm at the end of the 3rd chapter right now.

I can't fully explain it without giving you spoilers 

Spoiler

What I find boring is this gold-murder mystery, how they go on and on and on about
Battler: "how did you kill x person without entering in the room"
Beatrice "I used magic"
Battler "no you did not, magic does not exist and I will prove it to you"

20 hours later

Battler" magic doesnt exist!"
Beatrice " then how did I kill x person without a key if the room was closed? simple, with magic"
Battler" no magic doesnt exist, I will turn the chess board and prove you wrong!!!!!!!!!" 

this is umineko in a nutshell

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying is bad, again, I find it boring mostly because A) I don't like mystery related stuff and B) specially when that mystery is related to supernatural stuff like magic or witches etc.