Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

On a side note I find it interesting that several of the novels were rewritten with less political commentary and a different ending in the transition from online novel to light novel. I gotta dig deeper........ Well never fucking mind, neither the original online novel or the light novels have been translated. (flips table)

My reaction when i found out.

• Charlotte

Okay Key, you have my attention.

Glad to see this will involve ESP stuff. It's pretty similar to the Toaru universe with a school for people with special powers and whatnot.

The twist is that their abilities are incomplete and don't make the characters super OP. I really liked this factor, it spices things up a bit as upposed to just going "here's a bunch of characters with cool super powers kthnxbai".

Though it's what they will do with these powers that will really show whether or not this anime will be a hit or a miss.

What I didn't expect was the protagonist to be a complete self absorbed asshole. I don't remember Key making protags like this.

He reminds me of Kanie from Amaburi except a bit more of a jerk. But this should make for a more interesting story as well.

Doesn't seem like your typical mushy Key drama BS so far which is really nice. Then again, we're only on episode 1 so everything could (and will likely) change.

Overall, I'm excited, it's very similar to Angel Beats in terms of atmosphere, at least from the first episode.

I can imagine they will bring in feels later down the line, but my body is prepared.

Of course it could all go downhill, but the first episode was a hit for me.

The protagonist's  sister is obviously best grill.

• Working!!!

​Feels so good to watch this series again <3

It's still the same as always, no complaints for me.

Working has always been one of my favorite comedies out there for its simplicity and the way it delivers the jokes as well as the memorable cast of characters.

This is a nice way to go to sleep. There's a bunch more shows to watch but today I'm just too tired to start anything else.

It seems that Littlewitch Academia has been released, I'm really excited to see what Trigger brings with a 1 hour movie.

Ended up watching Little Witch Academia movie anyway.

God that Trigger animation is so hnnngh.

While I absolutely love the original and hoped for an even more memorable follow up, I can't say that this 50 minute movie was the best sequel ever.

Now I'm not gonna lie, the movie was fun, I loved watching it, it delivered a similar product as the original 25 minute short, except it was twice as long. Same Akko doing her crazy things and her friends getting dragged along with her.

But at the same time that's the main problem it had, nothing was expanded on despite there being a 50 minute time slot. Characters were the same, there wasn't even any huge focus on the magic aspect, there was no new plot elements, it was just a stretched out rehash of the first short.

I'm not the type to complain when there's more of the same when the first movie was already super fun, but I at least expect just a little bit of "new" when you announce a 50 minute movie sequel, a new goal, a new story element, an expansion of the original setting, hell even just plain character development, but this movie had none of that, sadly.

What really makes this not sit well with me would be the fact that this could easily fit in a 25 minute timeslot just like the previous film did, the 50 minute length added nothing of value to this series and that's really what disappointed me the most. This would have worked out soooo much better as a full series rather than a movie.

But alas, I don't want to hate on Little Witch much, it's a really fun series and I'm still a fan of it, I just hoped for a bit more with this movie and didn't really feel like I got it.

In short, the movie was fun, and on a technical aspect it's definitely stellar, I have no major qualms with it, but does it deliver anything particularly refreshing for a 50 minute sequel? Not really.

Charlotte is pulling my heartstrings with that imouto character. Her seiyuu is a little too high-pitched for my tastes, but she's adorable nonetheless. Can't wait for the feelsy stuff~

And wow, Symphogear GX is starting off with a bang! Kinda disappointed that Kirika or Shirabe didn't get into the action, but it was still a fun episode. The animation is getting better too; it actually feels like something up to par with Satelight's standard. The concert scene was so pretty. Teeku

Charlotte is pulling my heartstrings with that imouto character. Her seiyuu is a little too high-pitched for my tastes, but she's adorable nonetheless. Can't wait for the feelsy stuff~

Inb4 Imouto death.

I really liked her character to be honest, genki imoutos just have a unique charm, I'm just scared of what might happen to her knowing Key...

Charlotte is interesting because it's something Key has never really done in terms of charater relationships, this is their first protag with a little sister that I can recall. There was Sunohara in Clannad too and we all know how that went (feels trip).

I have high hopes for this imouto.

Rokka no Yuusha starts off... better than expected. Looks like a solid series, not to mention the animation being active most of the times.

Shimoneta is very original although.... its the "why Japan" kind of original. Let's see how far can the comedy antics go.

Inb4 Imouto death.

I really liked her character to be honest, genki imoutos just have a unique charm, I'm just scared of what might happen to her knowing Key...

Charlotte is interesting because it's something Key has never really done in terms of charater relationships, this is their first protag with a little sister that I can recall. There was Sunohara in Clannad too and we all know how that went (feels trip).

I have high hopes for this imouto.

Rokka no Yuusha starts off... better than expected. Looks like a solid series, not to mention the animation being active most of the times.

Shimoneta is very original although.... its the "why Japan" kind of original. Let's see how far can the comedy antics go.

10 bucks something tragic. Especially considering how the contrast between jerkface-liar of the MC to everybody else but very attentive to his imouto, I can see using this plot device.

Oh and P.A. Works nail the animation again, its not KyoAni level of Hibike but its still pretty darn good.

And finally, Key you sneaky ninja.

pRHNubb.jpg

I have only watched a few shows so far and like many people I plan to try everything so excluding sequels (most of which I am not following) let's begin;

Gate: How could they have fucked this up so bad. The series has been conformed to mediocrity and to appeal to a wider audience...it is and will be censored. The grittiness of war that actually gets people into the series is just missing and really it was a very average show bringing nothing new to the genre and ruining an adaptation of a downright chilling manga. Anyone who has read Gate realizes exactly what show is missing. We don't see any of the graphic violence, brutality, sexual assualt, nudity, or really even any blood that war is all about. The animation style itself seems very very mediocre and it has lost a lot of the gritty feel of the manga just in looks alone. It is obvious that the anime studio A-1 pictures saw an opportunity to potentially sell it and make it popular simply based on the fantasy stories rise of popularity in anime and so they cut anything controversial. It's possible that it may have just been the first episode but that's very unlikely considering this is A-1 pictures. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am as a fan of the manga with this adaptation.

That aside the anime outside of being an absolutely piss poor adaptation in the first episode it has appeal to the general public. The opening does absolutely nothing to hype up the series which is a damn shame and the ending being better than the OP says something about the show right away. The fact this show is only going to be 12-13 episodes also makes me think that what made the series good/unique/etc... in manga form is simply going to be cut both for time and content and that this show unfortunately is an inbetween show for A-1 pictures. It's airing during the summer which is notably known for being the lackluster time for anime. The premise is of course an interesting if lazy one (at least originally) but we'll have to see what they add in/cut to see if the story will manage to hold its own. For people not fans of the series already the first episode probably intrigued them...it will be the second and third episodes that keep them though.

Overall very disappointed in GATE but I will likely continue watching it and being disappointed each week til it ends.

Aoharu x Machinegun: The basic premise is reverse trap, host clubs, and wars...and it was a bit average outside of Hotaru's personality. I mean it's nothing we haven't seen before but the main characters all seem semi interesting and the overall twist is either your thing or not. I'll give it another episode or two before deciding if this is worth watching this season.

My Wife is the Student Council President: Very cliche and a bit boring. Had a bit of humor here and there but overall lacking in time. It was only 8 minutes and with 8 minutes they might just be able to keep someone interested long enough. The actual uncensored content was a surprise especially since crunchyroll was the one offering it. I might watch it just to try and show crunchyroll that we prefer shows uncensored. Nothing special I'll give it another episode maybe two to see if it goes anywhere interesting but honestly I'll probably end up dropping this one.

Classroom Crisis: I am extremely surprised by this one. I really enjoyed it and I did not expect to. The show itself just based on the first episode screams at me Planetes with a more moe design while the end of the episode screams amagi brilliant park as far as a character goes. Odd combination for sure. I definitely think it has potential though and I rather liked the humor and the characters. I'll definitely be watching the second/third episode.

Wakaba*Girl: I dropped it a few minutes in...mainly because the episode was short to begin with and the show did absolutely nothing to interest me. The show was boring and if you've seen one show like this you've seen more or less all of them. I will definitely be passing as this is not my type of show.

Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers: Yet another anime that surprised me more than I thought it would. In some ways the plot might be considered very cliche but already we have a few slightly different takes on characters and locations. The fact the entire first place we are introduced to is aztec in design gives me hope that we will be seeing some nice looking or unique locations in the anime. The biggest problem with these type of anime is that they don't really do much in the way of trying to make the world itself very interesting and already I'm interested not just in the characters but the world itself. The characters themselves are already decent the strongest man in the world fights dirty and has a bunch of tricks up his sleeve, the supposed blades is a magician of sorts (I think), and I'm quite curious to see what else we have in store. It was a very strong first episode and has the makings to be a great epic fantasy so I will definitely be watching

Durarara X2: Second Arc - As a huge fan of baccano and the first durarara series who unlike most knew that the first part of the the second season was build up I am extremely hype. Especially since Nebula was mentioned which is the creators of the Flying Pussyfoot and have made appearances throughout baccano's light novel run. We also got mentions to at least one other major work by the creator in the werewolf/vampire mention anyone a fan of ryogo narita's other works is probably happy to see that...I know I was at least. Honestly this episode was the best episode they could have had to start the show as it focused on one of the most beloved characters while hinting to other major events slowly beginning to take place. It was a strong first episode if nothing else.

Whelp. I started watching too, but I haven't gotten all the released episodes.

I just watched these shows' first episodes.

Okusama ga Seitokaichou!

• Very lackluster for me. It was, say, kinda boring? Though I won't deny that Ms. President is cute. Of course. And I won't deny that the guy is very lucky to have been able to experience that... thing. Goddamnit, protagonists. Anyway, I was disappointed in the humor. Didn't get much reaction from me. Though I have to say, when you're looking forward to that certain scene, then you might have not paid enough attention to the other stuff. Still though, I personally found this episode a bit boring.

Wakaba*Girl

• I have nothing to say. Right now, it's the typical cute girls show. Not that I mind. Personally, I'm fond of shows that focus on the girls' everyday lives. It made me smile in some scenes. I look forward to seeing more of the girls. Of course, I think that Wakaba-chan is the best among the four right now, but we'll see. Eight minutes did feel a little bit short, imo. I'd like more cute girls please. <3

Gangsta

• This came out with a bang. I am in no way disappointed with what I just watched. Usually, I'm not really that interested with mafia stories and stuff, since I'm sick of those kind of stories. Though you could say that my opinion here's becoming real biased. Anyway, I'll ignore that for a while. It presented a nice setting, which would make one interested with whatever's going on in the show. The different 'rules' that one needs to know in that certain place really is interesting, and if you break them, you get in trouble. That's really exciting, you know. Action scene was really nice. Dogtag is the most intriguing thing in the show right now. I'll continue to watch it in anticipation.

That's all for me right now.

Meanwhile in Dragoon Ball Super, Beers is just calmly destroying half a planet by tapping on a table.

Hurray for overpoweredness.

Why am I still following this show.... my nostalgia is filled with the movies already....

Ended up watching Little Witch Academia movie anyway.

God that Trigger animation is so hnnngh.

While I absolutely love the original and hoped for an even more memorable follow up, I can't say that this 50 minute movie was the best sequel ever.

Now I'm not gonna lie, the movie was fun, I loved watching it, it delivered a similar product as the original 25 minute short, except it was twice as long. Same Akko doing her crazy things and her friends getting dragged along with her.

But at the same time that's the main problem it had, nothing was expanded on despite there being a 50 minute time slot. Characters were the same, there wasn't even any huge focus on the magic aspect, there was no new plot elements, it was just a stretched out rehash of the first short.

I'm not the type to complain when there's more of the same when the first movie was already super fun, but I at least expect just a little bit of "new" when you announce a 50 minute movie sequel, a new goal, a new story element, an expansion of the original setting, hell even just plain character development, but this movie had none of that, sadly.

What really makes this not sit well with me would be the fact that this could easily fit in a 25 minute timeslot just like the previous film did, the 50 minute length added nothing of value to this series and that's really what disappointed me the most. This would have worked out soooo much better as a full series rather than a movie.

But alas, I don't want to hate on Little Witch much, it's a really fun series and I'm still a fan of it, I just hoped for a bit more with this movie and didn't really feel like I got it.

In short, the movie was fun, and on a technical aspect it's definitely stellar, I have no major qualms with it, but does it deliver anything particularly refreshing for a 50 minute sequel? Not really.

I saw the movie as a fanservice to the hardcore fans of the first one..... Agreed that it was just.... underwhelming. Here's hoping all those kickstarter money can create something more amazing.... *sigh*

I kind of want to assume that they got the budget for animation pretty much solid but then they struggle with the story since they can't put too much of a drastic change. They end up with the safest route which frankly, is pretty shitty. Hopefully they're making a sequel again with the proper story next time.

• Dragon Ball Super

Here we go guise!

Well, it's dragon ball alright. Still too early to say anything about the plot, this episode was mostly just filler but it seems like they're bringing back Beerus from Battle of Gods.

Not sure how I feel about it because Battle of Gods was pretty boring as a movie.

But given that this is a TV series now maybe they'll actually make a battle between Beerus and Goku more interesting and spread out (inb4 20 episodes of nothing).

Quality went up so much, I noticed they're listing DB Super as a sequel of DB Kai and not as a sequel of DBZ which would also explain why Beerus is back since they're not using the stories from the DBZ movies.

It would be nice if they brought characters from the movies into this new series (we all wanted Brolly to be canon).

Overall, I'm excited, it's got the Dragon Ball feel and that's all that matters, now we just have to hope it'll go in a good direction.

So, Ushio to Tora...  kind of a 90s anime feel with better animation.  Apparently it's based on a 90s manga, so...  good job capturing that.  Enjoying the character dynamics, particularly between Ushio and Tora.  Asako is looking to be a violent tsundere type, but I don't actually find her annoying so far, so I'm fine with it.  Ushio himself is a bit different:  he's very athletic, but prefers the arts, as his choice in school clubs reflects.  Not sure how relevant that will be to the story, but I thought it was worth noting.  Too soon to tell on the action, as the first episode barely had any of that at all.  I'll probably stick with this one unless it takes a turn for the terribad.

• Dragon Ball Super

Here we go guise!

Well, it's dragon ball alright. Still too early to say anything about the plot, this episode was mostly just filler but it seems like they're bringing back Beerus from Battle of Gods.

Not sure how I feel about it because Battle of Gods was pretty boring as a movie.

But given that this is a TV series now maybe they'll actually make a battle between Beerus and Goku more interesting and spread out (inb4 20 episodes of nothing).

Quality went up so much, I noticed they're listing DB Super as a sequel of DB Kai and not as a sequel of DBZ which would also explain why Beerus is back since they're not using the stories from the DBZ movies.

It would be nice if they brought characters from the movies into this new series (we all wanted Brolly to be canon).

Overall, I'm excited, it's got the Dragon Ball feel and that's all that matters, now we just have to hope it'll go in a good direction.

Apparently they'll remake Battle of gods and Fukkatsu no F in Dragon Ball Shou.