Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

We finally get the first episode of Prison School tomorrow

it is gonna be either an epic win or an epic fail

I will not bet on epic win, I just can't imagine an anime adaptation will manage to capture all the ecchi in prison school.

Seriously there's scenes in that series that are virtually hentai.

• Himouto! Umaru-chan
Here it is! The show I was most hyped for this whole time and god did it deliver.

Thank you based Dogakobo for making such a stellar adaptation of the manga, it really conveys the same ridiculous atmosphere and Umaru's character really pops out nicely. Most imporantly, it's a whole 24 minutes per episode series! I was so afraid it'd just be a short but it's not.

I was also really afraid the voice acting would suck, every single seiyuu for the female characters was basically new to the industry so I had no clue whether or not they'd manage to really bring out the characters, but personally they all met my expectations and sounded pretty similar to what I imagined the characters would sound like when I read the original.

If you want some over the top comedy with one of the greatest little sister characters of all time (+ crazy facial expressions), Himouto Umaru-chan is a good series to try.

The dynamic between Umaru and Taihei make them one of my personal favorite pair of siblings. There's no incestey feels here, they're just an awesome pair of siblings and they made me appreciate this type of relationship between 2 characters even more since it's so rare to see nowadays (without the incest). It's basically on the level of Komachi and Hiki from Oregairu for me.

I will say this is not for those that are looking for some deeper character development or a meaningful plot, Umaru has none of that and if the anime sticks to the source material, it'll just be crazy shit most of the time. There are some nice chapters that do get a bit more serious at the end, particularly those focusing on Umaru and her friendships, but overall it's a pretty easygoing comedy.

I already see some comments here and there saying Umaru is just a spoiled brat and that she's annoying, but Umaru just gives 0 fucks, and I shall too.

TL;DR Dankest anime of the season.

EhkSlER.jpg

Let me just stress this out, Gangsta has one of the greatest OSTs this season.

Also, protagonist is nickamed Nico, I think that clearly shows superiority :makina:

This anime gets me really hyped every week, it's definitely sitting at the top of the rankings for me.

The subtitles by Underwater are really exaggerating the dialogue to make it more edgy though.

In one line the guy just said "Go look for someone else" but the subtitles were "Fuck off, skank."

Now I'm totally cool with being liberal with translations if you can make it better to transmit the message/tone, but this just feels overdone, the guy clearly didn't say "Fuck off" or even call her any names.

There's several instances of this throughout where they just add curse words for the sake of it.

• Gakkou Gurashi!

Wow this anime trolled everyone so hard, they even made the opening all cheerful to make the viewers think it'll actually be a SoL show :P

You likely wouldn't be able to get the "something bad is coming" vibe until maybe 15 minutes in if you paid attention (they hint at it a bit erlier but it's very vague)

Biggest sign was the blackboard which, if you were paying close attention, had "All is in the darkness in the past. Please don't throw me away. Help me" written on it.

Well, one thing I'm uneasy about is that the anime is not following the manga much, this could either be good or bad. Several of the characters introduced in this episode weren't in the story that earlier.

The first moments also lasted waaaaay too much before the "twist" just to pad the first episode's length time.

Although I guess it also added to the "shock" factor since they really played everything out really well to pretend like this was a normal show, when I read the first chapter I also didn't see it coming and I'm sure those who watch the first episode without prior knowledge won't either.

For those wondering, Gakkou Gurashi is not a moeblob, it's quite the psychological horror show, the advertisements placed everywhere really lead a lot of people to think otherwise which I guess was part of the gimmick, but don't let this fool you, this is without a doubt a horror show and not a happy go lucky anime.

However, in terms of how it normally feels, I would say there's quite a focus on SoL, there's this interchangable atmosphere between everyday activities and the apocalyptic setting but most of the times the characters do act in a cheerful manner, even when cutting down zombies.

I would say later down the line things start getting more intense and there's a lot of character trauma involved in this story.

Assuming they address a lot of key arcs in the manga, this could be really well done.

I think the first episode really managed to give the plot twist pretty nicely and while I personally believe it should have been done earlier, all things considered, it wasn't that bad.

We'll have to wait and see if the following episodes stick closer to the manga or not, it could go either way from here. 

I was really excited for this adaptation and I'm glad to say that despite them not following the manga much (at least the first episode didn't), it's looking pretty good in terms of direction. Hopefully Nitroplus makes a good comeback with this show.

TL;DR Think "Reverse Saya no Uta".

Gakkou Gurashi almost wrote a totally new line of story, I can't even follow anymore. Some event from chapter 23, some from chapter 1, some from flashback from chapter 17 with some edit (Taroumaru)....Wonder how they will develop the story this way?

Yeah the first episode was really not following the manga storyline.

According to Down they got a bunch of writers and are planning to go full original with this which is as exciting as it is scary because it could really ruin it.

I'm not one to diss out alternative settings, as long as the end product is solid, so I'm just staying hopeful and cautious at the same time.

2nd episode of Ranpo Kitan really makes me think this will just be Danganronpa but with middle schoolers. Don't know how to feel about it.

Welp, take a loof at the staff

http://myanimelist.net/anime/24765/Gakkou_Gurashi!/characters#staff

I really liked this first episode, more than the manga's.

Yeah lol. If all those scriptwriters actually manage to ruin this, I don't even...

I also didn't dislike the first episode, it was different but the end result was the same at the end of the day.

I will not bet on epic win, I just can't imagine an anime adaptation will manage to capture all the ecchi in prison school.

Seriously there's scenes in that series that are virtually hentai.

The trailer showed gigantic boobs, BDSM and pissing it's actually more graphic then some hentai.

The trailer showed gigantic boobs, BDSM and pissing it's actually more graphic then some hentai.

I'm comparing it to the source material. In the manga several illustrations really accentuate the ecchi bits, I don't think the anime will be able to capture it simply because the leval of detail is inferior and censorship laws are stricter (and i have little faith in JC Staff). I saw the trailer, it did look a bit more PG, still pretty damn ecchi, but just not the same. I'll wait until the anime's out for a final verdict though.

I'm comparing it to the source material. In the manga several illustrations really accentuate the ecchi bits, I don't think the anime will be able to capture it simply because the leval of detail is inferior and censorship laws are stricter (and i have little faith in JC Staff). I saw the trailer, it did look a bit more PG, still pretty damn ecchi, but just not the same. I'll wait until the anime's out for a final verdict though.

Its the most graphic show allowed on crunchyroll. I'm suprised it isn't classified as a hentai.

Its the most graphic show allowed on crunchyroll. I'm suprised it isn't classified as a hentai.

Probably because it's not actually that graphical. If Crunchyroll streams it, I expect censorship. I doubt it'll be as graphical as To Love Ru or Highschool DxD.

To be fair, in the manga itself, they never go that far with legitimate exposure, just a lot of accentuating certain areas, but still, I don't know how far the anime will go and that's what worries me.

Classifying this as hentai is absurd though.

Probably because it's not actually that graphical. If Crunchyroll streams it, I expect censorship. I doubt it'll be as graphical as To Love Ru or Highschool DxD.

To be fair, in the manga itself, they never go that far with legitimate exposure, just a lot of accentuating certain areas, but still, I don't know how far the anime will go and that's what worries me.

Classifying this as hentai is absurd though.

Highschool DxD only has cleavage, Prison school has legit BDSM themes.

Yay Gangsta followed the "Badass character needs a loli" rule.

Welp, take a loof at the staff

http://myanimelist.net/anime/24765/Gakkou_Gurashi!/characters#staff

I really liked this first episode, more than the manga's.

Wew, cross fingers and hope Gakkou Gurashi exceed the original manga.

Wait does that mean 

Megu-nee is dead already?

because that would suck. A lot. Considering the grave on the garden....

Prison School has pissing in it as a BDSM theme I doubt the others do. That in my mind is more graphic.

Except in Prison School no actual nudity is shown which makes a big difference in terms of "graphical". In Highschool DxD there's girls naked everywhere that get groped by tentacles, a pretty common theme in hetntai. Pretty sure the latter is more graphic.

BDSM themes is a very loose term here, if you've read the original you know it's not that BDSM focused, at least in the truest sense of the word, there's some crazy play involved sometimes, but it doesn't cross the hentai line ever, and like I said before, no nudity will likely be shown which is why I'm saying the anime version will be toned down and why even websites like Crunchy can stream it because it's a non explicit form of ecchi. One scene with a character peeing, especially when said peeing is censored, doesn't make this edgy at all.

It's basically badass girls whipping guys around.

Except in Prison School no actual nudity is shown which makes a big difference in terms of "graphical". In Highschool DxD there's girls naked everywhere that get groped by tentacles, a pretty common theme in hetntai. Pretty sure the latter is more graphic.

BDSM themes is a very loose term here, if you've read the original you know it's not that BDSM focused, at least in the truest sense of the word, there's some crazy play involved sometimes, but it doesn't cross the hentai line ever, and like I said before, no nudity will likely be shown which is why I'm saying the anime version will be toned down and why even websites like Crunchy can stream it because it's a non explicit form of ecchi.

It's basically badass girls whipping guys around.

>naked girls everywhere

Uncensored T & A are you legitmately claiming this?

>Toned down

So putting a group of men in a prison for a dominatrix to physically abuse isn't BDSM enough for you?

That's what the anime trailer showed.

ITT Prison school and literally nothing else

If there's no actual nudity it's on the level of graphical violence for me lol.

This is coming from someone who quite enjoys their BDSM hentai.

I'm trying to tell you just because there's bdsm in it it doesn't automatically make it graphical and/or a hentai, just makes it slightly edgier than the average, but toned down enough so that it can run on a weekly magazine.

Again if it was so explicit, it wouldn't be streaming on Crunchy.

If there's no actual nudity it's on the level of graphical violence for me lol.

This is coming from someone who quite enjoys their BDSM hentai.

I'm trying to tell you just because there's bdsm in it it doesn't automatically make it graphical and/or a hentai, just makes it slightly edgier than the average, but toned down enough so that it can run on a weekly magazine.

Again if it was so explicit, it wouldn't be streaming on Crunchy.

Nothing to add since I'd have to go over my previous posts.

I wonder how fun this whole convo will be for someone else to read. Kek.

Yay Gangsta followed the "Badass character needs a loli" rule.

Wew, cross fingers and hope Gakkou Gurashi exceed the original manga.

Wait does that mean

Megu-nee is dead already?

because that would suck. A lot. Considering the grave on the garden....

Taroumaru is still alive and well (I don't think Mii-kun is acting) and Kurumi is still talking normally with Megu-nee without any lead line from Yuki, so I don't think that she is dead either. I guess they changed the whole thing to make all characters appear from the start, then kill them slowly later on

<_<

If this is not the case, then that means they blatantly skipped 22 first chapters in the manga <_<