Unpopular Opinions About VN's

Funyarinpa

Well you made the most positive option double as a comedy option, while making the most negative option sound like rabid lunacy. You could become a top level political pollster with that kind of bias.  :makina:

For real though comedy options are always the most popular option in any poll, and I think the results of that are going to be pretty much worthless.

• 3 weeks later...

Romantic love is overrated, overused, and mostly badly done. Overrated because other interpersonal relationships, such as friendship, are much more beautiful. Overused, because there are too many VNs and other storytelling media that have romance as a central element (there should be more friendship routes).

And badly done because... Let me point out. In VNs: too much ichaicha, with little "real" romance. In LNs: romance is too slow. Anime and manga are the same thing. And Western stuff: too much appeal to the "sexual" side AND most men are flirty jerks and most women are bitches. Hardly ever there are good romantic scenes or couples with real chemistry.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. There are great romances, but ironically, most never come from a story that's centered around romance, and those are very rare.

Well, because that's what VN is.

No, it's not. VNs are a medium, they can be done in a lot of different ways. Despite I think that of romance, I still can say I like romance, even though I dislike the great majority of romance-focused stories. A romance-focused story CAN be a masterpiece theoretically, but up to now I haven't seen a good number of those that fulfills its role well, or any that can be considered a true masterpiece.

As long as I get my ichaicha life is gud.

In my opinion ichaicha is something used in VNs to please the "masses" (don't mean many people, but most of the VN players). Ichaicha is a moment that can be enjoyed but it will remain right there: in the moment. Ichaicha is a form of immediacy in romance.

I don't just enjoy a story based on the "moments" specifically related to their time. Rather, I usually think of memorability and aftertaste, how long those moments will stay in my mind/heart. That is something ichaicha cannot provide.

Reality is boring, y'know? It's not a good idea to repeat it on fiction, when you can improve things.

Considering your average moege is an idealistic version of reality and people play them mostly for escapism, it makes sense for them to focus more on those aspects, it's what people like to see most.

And flirting isn't boring, it can be cute, i like seeing the main couple in love.

How exactly do you suggest improving an already typically idealistic relationship?

Considering your average moege is an idealistic version of reality and people play them mostly for escapism, it makes sense for them to focus more on those aspects, it's what people like to see most.

"Please the masses", as I said.

And flirting isn't boring, it can be cute, i like seeing the main couple in love.

It can be boring, yes. But even if it can be good and cute it doesn't really surpass that. As I've already stated, when you look back you don't really get much from it. It won't be a memorable thing or something that will emphasize the bond or chemistry between the characters, because it's not something special that sets THAT COUPLE apart from the others.

How exactly do you suggest improving an already typically idealistic relationship?

Can you please explain better why is moege romance considered idealistic? I don't really see it like this.

A romance-focused story CAN be a masterpiece theoretically, but up to now I haven't seen a good number of those that fulfills its role well, or any that can be considered a true masterpiece.

What were some of the better ones you've seen to date?

"Please the masses", as I said.

It can be boring, yes. But even if it can be good and cute it doesn't really surpass that. As I've already stated, when you look back you don't really get much from it. It won't be a memorable thing or something that will emphasize the bond or chemistry between the characters, because it's not something special that sets THAT COUPLE apart from the others.

Can you please explain better why is moege romance considered idealistic? I don't really see it like this.

Not really true, certainly flirting around is very common among couples, but that down to earth romance is pretty nice to witness in my opinion and it's not like you can't look back and recall the interactions, even if they were superficial, and think the 2 looked good together. Not everything has to be a unique little snowflake.

And by idealistic i mean it basically takes everything "good" about relationships and exaggerates it, it makes it more perfect than one would normally see anywhere while at the same time diminishing the bad things. That's the type of relationship you mostly see in this industry.

I don't know i feel like just because it's a cookie cutter formula doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable and memorable, i like seeing cute things on screen, and if it's really cute i'll probably remember it in the future as well.

Cute is justice, romance has many forms~

I think Yuuji + turkey scene in Grisaia no Kajitsu really emphasized the bond of chemistry between him and Yumiko and sets them apart from other couples; like damn the lengths he had to go for her  :wub:

I hated that turkey scene.  I thought it was stupid because of how unrealistic it was.  The scene that came after was nice, but going at that speed, the moment he flung the turkey it would have been thrown backwards by the wind (as far as I understand physics), so unless he stuffed it directly into the turbine, I don't think that was even remotely possible.  I can accept ridiculousness if the whole story is ridiculous, but that kinda was my limit, since Kajitsu mostly just toes the line with exaggeration (except with Mitcher >.>).

Dunno if that opinion is unpopular or not  :P

Not really true, certainly flirting around is very common among couples, but that down to earth romance is pretty nice to witness in my opinion and it's not like you can't look back and recall the interactions, even if they were superficial, and think the 2 looked good together. Not everything has to be a unique little snowflake.

Um... At least, I don't see it like this. When I see a couple flirting IRL, I think: "How boring. God, I'd never want this to me."

And by idealistic i mean it basically takes everything "good" about relationships and exaggerates it, it makes it more perfect than one would normally see anywhere while at the same time diminishing the bad things. That's the type of relationship you mostly see in this industry.

Yes, but I think it's a more "superficial" form of idealism. It does emphasize the good aspects, but at the same time there are some non-idealistic aspects. For example, some heroines are not idealistic: derederes, onee-chans, lolis, etc. Also, other aspects aren't always idealistic too: nee-san x little brother as hero isn't really an idealist romantic interaction, school settings aren't really idealistic settings, a girl confession isn't idealistic. 

But the thing yes: they could improve, yes. More romantic settings, and specially MORE REAL ROMANTIC MOMENTS. Can't they be a little more ambitious to surpass the ichaichas and go for some real romance? I'm just asking for something more apart from RL trash.

I don't know i feel like just because it's a cookie cutter formula doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable and memorable, i like seeing cute things on screen, and if it's really cute i'll probably remember it in the future as well.

Cute is justice, romance has many forms~

I think it's very difficult for a ichaicha scene to be memorable, as you said, real life couples already do that, so usually there ain't nothing special about it.

Could you perhaps write out a short scenario of a 'MORE REAL ROMANTIC MOMENT' that you would prefer in a VN?

I'd rather give examples of what can be called real romantic moments in VNs.

1. Lucia and Kotarou on the rooftop (the mall part is ichaicha). And also the end of the fight scene.

2. Kotarou and Kagari waltzing.

There are also some minor ones, that can be considered too: Riki and Kud painting each other, Aoi's confession to Kotori (IMHHW), Mio and Riki's kiss, ...

Yeah, it's very difficult to find.

When I have time (maybe tomorrow?) I can write this scene with two VN characters and post it in a new thread, then you can see.