Unhack

InvertMouse

Hello~ With Unhack episode three coming up in about a day, I just wanted to share another gift art I have received:

753971834.jpg

This one is from ChibiJen. Thank you! As frequently as time allows, I add all the gift arts to this site:

http://unhack.invertmouse.com/#media.html

So if you feel like sharing one, please feel free to do so :).

Thank you, and hope to see you in episode three this Saturday :D.

*Pst* I act all happy but the build is actually buggy at the moment and I'm raging like anything (TUT).

Thank you Kotomi!

Unhack episode three has just been released. As always, the episode is accessible via here:

http://unhack.invertmouse.com/game/

Compared to the previous two episodes, this one went through a lot of game difficulty balancing. This is the result I've settled on. I hope you'll enjoy the experience. As always, feedback will be much appreciated. Really helps when I know you guys are here :).

Thank you m(_ _)m!

This was fantastic. Each episode I've been more and more impressed with your intuitive grasp of level design and gameplay additions. You've got a lot of skill. It's awesome!

I like the

new character

. Fun design, and again, good characterization.

Ugh. We need a really, really rich benefactor to just pay you enough to have you quit your job and just roll these puppies out ; ). Looking forward to the next one!

Thank you for playing the game everyone m(_ _)m! I really appreciate it.

Thanks Tay! Well, there's a lot of behind the scenes play testing behind each episode, and a lot of issues were pointed out in the initial build. I'm no born designer but I do my best :). Thanks for your kind words.

Thanks Mikel! Hope to see you in the next chapter :).

Thank you for always being around Ryoji!

Thanks Down! Oh, playing it on a pad would make it harder (>-<). I actually have plans on putting this onto the app store at some point, so the game is in fact aimed at the touch screen. That's why I have yet to implement keyboard accessibility even though I've thought about it. Hope you'll get a hand on that mouse at some point m(_ _)m.

Thanks Sieg. Haha, I guess that was pretty specific XD!

Thank you again everyone m(_ _)m. Notice how every paragraph in this post starts with thanks. That's pretty awesome B) #okay.

Tried to play this on my (admittedly somewhat weak) ultraportable. It lags a lot - very choppy cursor movement and orb movement - sadly, so I will have to visit my desktop to play it (not to mention the problems of using a touchpad - or my mouse, given that I tend to play in bed(totally not intended, that one)). Maybe it's inevitable given the engine you've chosen, but if you can make it faster, that would be nice.

edit: additionally, disabling javascript will give you a "please upgrade your browser" message. While NoScript users like me should probably know what they're doing anyway, it's not going to always be accurate and some browsers can disable javascript in settings.

edit2: I want a volume slider. The music is too loud for my headphones at my default system volume settings.

Hey Zakamutt. Thanks for checking out my game. Yeah, the game completely fails to run on, for example, my netbook. Then again, my netbook can't even run VLC player. I have considered allowing keyboard controls, but because this is ultimately going to become an iPad app, for now, I'm holding that off. The Javascript thing, yeah, the game is built in Javascript. Thanks for raising that, though. Let me see what I can do. Cool, let me see what I can do about the volume slider. It's not high in my priority list, though. My aim is to finish all 10 episodes first. There are some great feedback given here that I will act on further down the line.

vKcSffE.jpg

Hello~ Just wanted to let everyone know that Unhack episode 4 is coming out soon. It's already prepared to go, in fact. I'm waiting for a new track from the composer. Meanwhile, I will (and have already begun) developing episode 5. Depending on how things play out, it could be a simultaneous release.

I also have a request. If you guys have been enjoying the episodes thus far, it'd be great if you could spread the word and show the game to anyone else who might be interested.

Unhack (or just InvertMouse in general) has a Facebook page here: http://tinyurl.com/d2bynt8

If you decide it's worth your while, please feel free to drop a like m(_ _)m.

Last, it would appear that Weedy has her own Twitter account now. It is @WeedyUnhack. No bot tweets there. Each one is hand typed by the official AI of Smash Security.

Thank you for your support as always~ Much appreciated :).

Just to pop in and say quickly what I remember of it when I last played it (a week or so back)....

The Good

>Excellent degree of immersion generated, rather impressively, without a great deal of text.

No waffle/filler. Readers will hang on to every word. Excellent quality to have and very hard to do - a good testament to overall quality of game!

>Very good pacing with a healthy degree of suspense

As above. Good use of storytelling mechanics. Dividing story into chapters works well.

>Everything else (characterisation, scriptwriting, music etc) generally very solid.

Things I might change if I was making this (and I will be very nitpicky! Encouraged to disagree if you feel that way inclined!)

>Make it longer! It may be because the game is not finished yet but I simply feel having each episode as being able to be completed in <10mins is WAY too short and prevents it from having any real impact.... Maybe in later stages, have the mazes more elaborate...could consider having them span >1 screen, though that would be a MASSIVE programming task I'd think. Could add more scenes, but be careful you don't disturb the already-excellent pacing.

Another more ambitious way to do this is give it a broader scope. Eg you know those VNs when you finish it and as the MC you've just like saved the world or something, and because you did sth SO grand you just feel awesome? I don't know if you do this later on anyway but it may be sth to consider.

>Art. Two things....

First, people. Weedy's body, to use as an eg, is wide at the upper body/chest area and gets narrower at her hips. This suggests developed Pectoralis, deltoids and trapezius muscles. Coupled with her small breasts this is, in effect, a muscular, masculine physique.

Second, and TOTALLY my subjective opinion only: I just can't take viruses that look like tadpoles very seriously.....

>Add keyboard controls

I hear what you're saying about designing it as an app but if you sell it on the appstore why not prep a PC-based version and sell it online too? You could try using DLSite for that, for eg.

tl;dr: I like where this is going. You have the basics down well and it shows clearly here. I have no experience in drawing art or game design so if you genuinely feel you know what you're doing, don't let me throw you off track!!

Just to pop in and say quickly what I remember of it when I last played it (a week or so back)....

The Good

>Excellent degree of immersion generated, rather impressively, without a great deal of text.

No waffle/filler. Readers will hang on to every word. Excellent quality to have and very hard to do - a good testament to overall quality of game!

>Very good pacing with a healthy degree of suspense

As above. Good use of storytelling mechanics. Dividing story into chapters works well.

>Everything else (characterisation, scriptwriting, music etc) generally very solid.

Things I might change if I was making this (and I will be very nitpicky! Encouraged to disagree if you feel that way inclined!)

>Make it longer! It may be because the game is not finished yet but I simply feel having each episode as being able to be completed in <10mins is WAY too short and prevents it from having any real impact.... Maybe in later stages, have the mazes more elaborate...could consider having them span >1 screen, though that would be a MASSIVE programming task I'd think. Could add more scenes, but be careful you don't disturb the already-excellent pacing.

Another more ambitious way to do this is give it a broader scope. Eg you know those VNs when you finish it and as the MC you've just like saved the world or something, and because you did sth SO grand you just feel awesome? I don't know if you do this later on anyway but it may be sth to consider.

>Art. Two things....

First, people. Weedy's body, to use as an eg, is wide at the upper body/chest area and gets narrower at her hips. This suggests developed Pectoralis, deltoids and trapezius muscles. Coupled with her small breasts this is, in effect, a muscular, masculine physique.

Second, and TOTALLY my subjective opinion only: I just can't take viruses that look like tadpoles very seriously.....

>Add keyboard controls

I hear what you're saying about designing it as an app but if you sell it on the appstore why not prep a PC-based version and sell it online too? You could try using DLSite for that, for eg.

tl;dr: I like where this is going. You have the basics down well and it shows clearly here. I have no experience in drawing art or game design so if you genuinely feel you know what you're doing, don't let me throw you off track!!

Hey Harry, thanks so much for taking the time to write up this feedback! I really appreciate it m(_ _)m.

Yeah, I believe in getting to the point with storytelling. Some have suggested that I add more details, but I've made my choice and I'm grateful that the players have been accepting of this style.

Making it longer; hmm~ It's short at the moment for the same reason as the to-the-point script. A lot of games throw the same challenge repeatedly at you. I wanted to avoid that. The other reason, of course, as you've guessed, is the programming task required. Aside from Unhack's composer, I am working alone so I do what I can. Perhaps if a player when this project's finished and plays through all ten episodes in one sitting, that impact you speak of will be there? In the end, it's up to the individual.

Thanks for those references for the art! I definitely just do what I can with the artworks. In fact, for the (possibly paid) iPad version, I have considered hiring an artist to redraw the sprites.

Viruses that look like tadpoles; I have nothing to say there XD.

Excellent point about the keyboard controls and potentially selling it on PC. The keyboard controls thing is on my list for sure. I'm just uncertain on whether I should finish all ten episodes first or taking some time off to implement this keyboard feature. At the moment, I've gone with soldiering on with the episodes.

Thank you again m(_ _)m!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice new eps :)

In ep 5 the Weedy-holding-doll sprite blocks a letter (I) from being displayed in the box, might wanna check that out.

You're currently maintaining a good amount of difficulty (I have a shitty mouse which might be part of why I tend to need to play each ep 3x to succeed :P). Much more and it would probably be frustrating, given that you mostly play to reach the text (if you're me).

Nice new eps :)/>

In ep 5 the Weedy-holding-doll sprite blocks a letter (I) from being displayed in the box, might wanna check that out.

You're currently maintaining a good amount of difficulty (I have a shitty mouse which might be part of why I tend to need to play each ep 3x to succeed :P/>). Much more and it would probably be frustrating, given that you mostly play to reach the text (if you're me).

Thank you :)!

The blocking letter thing is actually an intentional type of trolling. In an earlier episode, the unhacker did say, "You're blocking the screen!"

Yeah, a bad mouse will destroy the game for you :P. Thanks for being patient with it. I remember you mentioning that you often play in bed on a trackpad. A few others have asked for keyboard controls. It's something I'll implement once all ten episodes are released.

And while we're chatting, now, when Javascript is disabled, the right message shows up. Thanks for pointing it out :).

Thanks everyone. Please do let me know when you've played the new episodes :D.

I finally played the first two episodes and found it very enjoyable. The banter between Weedy and the Unhacker was just fun to read and I found myself chuckling more than once. Hopefully, I'll play the rest today. Great work!

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you're enjoyable the episodes and banters. Please feel free to let me know what you think when you've played the five available episodes so far B).

Kendjin, thanks! Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

By the way, I printed out some postcards today so I wanted to show them off B):

BI_szc5CQAADrNL.jpg

I'll be happy to send some out to the folks who have been especially supportive of the game. Ryoji, Tay just to mention a couple. There are more of you so sorry for failing to mention everyone. You know who you are, though. If you're one of those people and are interested in a card feel free to drop me a message and we can get something sorted :).