Unhack

InvertMouse

Did some more attempts to get unhack to work on an android tablet. Massive failure, even when I used a bluetooth mouse to click. The problem isn't touch; I think it might just be poor html5 support (apparently this is endemic to mobile browsers?). Tried both chrome and firefox. Used an addon to disable doubletap zoom in firefox too, did not help. Sound doesn't play either :s

How well does your browser score @ http://html5test.com/index.html ?

Episode 7: There seems to be a line with a typo error?

"You are not to blame. I should just a better job of looking after Weedy"

At the end of the episode.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks heaps for pointing that out Mephisto! I'll upload the fix along with episode 8 this Saturday :).

Played the ep. Nice story developments and I liked the new sprite introduced as well :P

I also realized that I've been assuming the Unhacker is male, but there's no guarantee of that, is there? Interesting. Then again, I am a bit too much of a Yuri fan...

About the microfreezes, I think they might be a more serious problem than I first imagined. The timing on the second screen seems inconsistent, sometimes I got a really tough timing on the first cannon, sometimes not, and the stuttering might be the cause of this. The stuttering is pretty noticeable for me as well. Looking at the CPU usage of firefox, it's coming up to 25% which is pretty crazy. I can play 1080p video on youtube's highly inefficient player with only cpu rendering and decoding and have only 17%ish peak usage (I also had a tab with unhack running at that time, seems it doesnt use much when not selected). The stuttering also seemed to get worse the longer I played (had quite a few deaths... qq).

About level design, not sure if it was that good of an idea to have two keys on screen 1 but only require 1 to proceed, making you have to backtrack later if a bit inattentive. Screens before boss are largely the same difficulty with or without keyboard as they tend to require patience/timing more than anything else, boss is much easier to dodge spikes using keyboard (was bored with keyboard, more or less just right for mouse).

Just came here to say I'm still playing it. I've gotta say, the WASD is REALLY useful. The only major issue I see (apart from programming mumbo jumbo I don't get) is the lack of a volume slider. It is a pain to lower the browser volume and then put it back up after playing, but apart from that I must say everything else looks fine to me. every new sprite is a pleasant surprise xD

Thank you Ashadow700! Really grateful that you've been so supportive m(_ _)m.

Thanks for being around Zakamutt :)! I'll choose to leave those two keys where they are, but that is a good point. For me, I enjoy those old FPS maps like the ones in Doom and Quake where you pick up keys and track where the doors are. Sorry to hear you've been experiencing stutters! I'll do some optimization work if some time efficient ideas come to mind. My focus will be on completing the project, though. The keyboard can make things too easy. That's why I hesitated to implement it. Oh, well. It's up to the gamers how they want to play. Thank you again m(_ _)m.

Thank you for checking out the game Sieg! Hope you'll continue to enjoy the remaining episodes :).

Hey again InterMouse, I thought I would say a bit about about the latest episode. :)

For starters, I love the keyboard controls. I've been playing the game on two computers and on one the game runs just fine, but on the second one it tends to be quite laggy. Having WSAD makes it much more enjoyable on the laggy computer steam powered trash compactor.

I also replayed episode seven and I have to agree with the Zakamutt above that it might be a bad idea to be able to proceed to the next screen without getting all the Keys. I speedran through it as fast as I could just for fun and missed the white Key, so when I reached the white gate I obviously could not proceed. I was not paying a lot of attention so for a short while I almost wondered if I had found a bug until I realized that there was a door in my way. ( <_< ). I obviously see where you are comming from with the Doom and Quake gameplay, but if you want to keep it the way it is, maybe you should at least put some message for the player that they missed the Key?

And here is another thing that happened to me a few times that I found quite annoying; dying when I was on the last or second last and then having to replay the entire episode could be really frustrating, especially when I was playing carelessly and died multiple times at the same spot. I was thinking, instead of a three lives system, could it work to remove all checkpoints and make the player go back to the beginning of each screen with every death, but also give the player infinite lives so that there is never the risk of having to being tossed back all the way to the beginning?

Next, I had an idea which is probably really, really, really dumb. To balance out that the game is a bit easier with WSAD, do you think it is possible to simply add a mode that speeds up the entire game? I mean a mode in which both the player controlled "square" and the enemies move faster? That would make the game harder since a lot of the challenge in Unhack comes from reaction timing, and a small number of times where you have to wait for the "red worm"-thingys to get out of the way could be slightly annoying (like in episode 1, screen 5). Could be hitting two birds with one stone so to speak..

And, just for the record, I'm only being so overly critical because it I wanna help make your game as good as possible, as atleast I often feel that finding people will actually say what they think about any piece of work that one has made can be very, very hard. I really do think this is a great game that you are making. :mellow:

Thanks for the detailed feedback Ashadow700 :)! Glad to hear you like the keyboard controls. It makes all the code raging feel worthwhile :P.

The message for a missed key thing is a great idea. It's not high on my priority list but I have noted it down. Thank you!

Giving players infinite lives could be an option. The thing is, in that case, perhaps I may as well just give them a god mode? For me, if I played Unhack and saw that's how the game operated, that'd actually be points down for me, because I'd think, "Well, that's a bit too darn easy." The potential of going back does add fear, which I love when gaming. This was actually why I kept these missions short. That way, even if you die, I was hoping players would never get too discouraged.

The speed up idea is not dumb at all! That's actually what I plan to do for the game's hard mode, which I'll develop after the final episode is released. The thing to keep in mind is that even though many players like Zakamutt found the game generally easy, and too easy with the keyboard controls, I've had feedback from players who are unable to get past even episodes 3 or 4. There's a broad range of skill levels so giving everyone a choice to clear the game is a challenge.

Not critical at all! I've received feedback that are pretty hurtful so you've been nice :). Thank you and please continue to support Unhack m(_ _)m.

Hey InvertMouse! I only have one little thing to say about the last episode. :)

For once this is actually about the story, so I guess I'll have to put it in a spoliertab.

I really liked the twist of Unhacker being the creator, but I think you could a revealed this in a better way. The first line of the whole episode,"So what is this, I'm supposed to be your creator?", basically told the player out right that Unhacker was the creator, and then the rest of the episode only confirmed this. I think a smarter way to handle this is to let the player slowly figure this out by himself by himself while playing through the episode, and only confirm it during the intermission when unhacker was talking to Debug right at the end. I got the feeling that all the dialog during the gameplay section was written to make the player realize this anyway, so it would only require you to rewrite a small portion of the debriefing at the beginning of the episode. Maybe that was a bit of a messy explanation, but hopefull it made sense.

And there is one more thing that I believe I have to bring up. This is going to sound quite harsh, but I think you should consider rebuilding episode one (and possibly even episode 2) from the ground up. If we completely ignore the story (becuase the story is good early on too), at least in my opinion episode one and two are not very good. It picks up from episode 3 and forward, but ep2 and especially ep1 felt like little more then a long corridor. I'm saying this because this is where new player's first impression will be made. Since this a little browerser game, a lot of people will most likely only give it a five minute try just to see what the game is about and perhaps even skip all the dialog in ep 1 while doing so (To be honest I did when I first picked up the game... :unsure:). The risk is then very very high that the player will then just drop the game after those five minutes if the game has failed to catch thier attention at that point.

I know though that these two can't be too challenging since they are the "tutorial missions" though, so as someone who knows nothing about game design, I'm not sure how to get around this problem :(

You have most likely seen it but extra credits made a pretty good episode on the subject:

I hope this might help, even if it was all negative criticism.

Hey InvertMouse! I only have one little thing to say about the last episode. :)/>

For once this is actually about the story, so I guess I'll have to put it in a spoliertab.

I really liked the twist of Unhacker being the creator, but I think you could a revealed this in a better way. The first line of the whole episode,"So what is this, I'm supposed to be your creator?", basically told the player out right that Unhacker was the creator, and then the rest of the episode only confirmed this. I think a smarter way to handle this is to let the player slowly figure this out by himself by himself while playing through the episode, and only confirm it during the intermission when unhacker was talking to Debug right at the end. I got the feeling that all the dialog during the gameplay section was written to make the player realize this anyway, so it would only require you to rewrite a small portion of the debriefing at the beginning of the episode. Maybe that was a bit of a messy explanation, but hopefull it made sense.

And there is one more thing that I believe I have to bring up. This is going to sound quite harsh, but I think you should consider rebuilding episode one (and possibly even episode 2) from the ground up. If we completely ignore the story (becuase the story is good early on too), at least in my opinion episode one and two are not very good. It picks up from episode 3 and forward, but ep2 and especially ep1 felt like little more then a long corridor. I'm saying this because this is where new player's first impression will be made. Since this a little browerser game, a lot of people will most likely only give it a five minute try just to see what the game is about and perhaps even skip all the dialog in ep 1 while doing so (To be honest I did when I first picked up the game... :unsure:/>). The risk is then very very high that the player will then just drop the game after those five minutes if the game has failed to catch thier attention at that point.

I know though that these two can't be too challenging since they are the "tutorial missions" though, so as someone who knows nothing about game design, I'm not sure how to get around this problem :(/>

You have most likely seen it but extra credits made a pretty good episode on the subject:

I hope this might help, even if it was all negative criticism.

Ashadow700, thanks for playing episode 9 and taking the time to type up your feedback! It makes me happy to know people are actually playing the game.

At the end of episode 8, Debug2 says, "Time for your return, mr creator...", so players in fact already knows who the unhacker is

:)~

As for episode one (and possibly two), yeah, like you said, because it's a learning mission of sorts, experienced gamers (assuming) like you could find it unengaging. As a quick note, I know someone who is stuck on episode three because she finds it too hard. So, there's a broad range of experience levels around. Once all ten episodes are done, I'll be adding some general polish into the game (including a backlog feature). I hope that'll help it some.

Thank you for sharing that video! Let me check it out and see what I can gain from it :).

Hello :)~ I wanted to drop in and announce that Unhack's final episode will come out next Saturday! Thank you everyone for supporting the game this whole time. Please look forward to the game's conclusion m(_ _)m.

I've also added some artworks I've been receiving from players onto the media section of the website. Please feel free to check them out: unhack.invertmouse.com

Thank you!

As someone who has been playing this right from the start I've got to say, it is a good feeling to see this game getting this far. It may seem trivial but I can't help but get a feeling of accomplishment (?), I don't know >.<. Anyways, great job hanging in there InvertMouse! For you (and your fanbase xD) to see this through the end is great in terms of responsibility , dedication and passion. Just wanted to say that =D

Just finished streaming all nine released episodes of Unhack on my Twitch.tv channel (twitch.tv/archmagetay). I'm freakin' jazzed about Ep 10. I proposed this on Twitter, but InvertMouse should probably be charged and jailed for crimes against humanity for making us wait! (jk!) (only kind of!) (pleeeeaaaaase hurry!) (but take your time)

PS: Sorry if the video was a little wonkily-formatted (lots of black space). Twitch glitched out last-minute.

All Nine Episodes (One Video)

Highlights (Each Individual Episode)

Thanks solidbatman! I-I've lost OTL. XD~

Sieg, I do know the feeling! It is nice to see something through from beginning to end. Thank you for being around and your kind words :).

Zakamutt, thanks for sticking around until the end!

Tay, thank you for sharing the stream! Well, if I go to jail then episode 10 will never happen :(~

Thanks for taking the time to play shcboomer!

See you all next Saturday m(_ _)m.

Hello~ With Unhack's final episode coming out this weekend, I’ve added some polishes throughout the game. Here are the details:

- Modified all movements to give them more weight (i.e. more acceleration and deceleration). Slight change to gameplay as a result.

- Updated in-game assets to give them more glow.

- Tweaked buttons so they provide better feedback when clicked on.

- It’s now possible to click back to missed dialogues while in-game.

- After getting hit, there’s now a second delay before you respawn. Added a ripple effect so it’s easier to tell where you reappear.

- A clear message now shows if you’re missing a key.

- The red eyeballs will now always damage you. Previously, it was possible to fluke past them.

- Improved load times by loading late game assets while you’re playing.

- Added ripple effects throughout for dramatic purposes.

- Updated episode 5′s end game drawing.

- Fixed stuttering audio issue on Firefox.

Since episode 5 has a new end image, if you’re up for checking out the polishes, feel free to play that one. With that said, thank you for your support, and I hope to see you in the last episode this weekend m(_ _)m: http://unhack.invertmouse.com/game

Wow... someone has been busy. Looking forward to the last episode. I'm gonna marathon the whole game from ep 1 to 15 just for fun. ^_^

Thank you! When you get to a locked door, a clear message now displays. That was done based on your feedback :)!

With the final episode coming out in two days, I wanted to share a few artworks here:

nfwTiqol.jpg

hALQQ6yl.jpg

W6aPZIYl.jpg

Thank you!