[Complete] Forum Ranks for Fuwa

Nosebleed

and rooke my issue with that is not everyone plays the same VN's or has the same tastes some of the people here have very niche tastes while others have more of a band wagon taste so asking for people to comment on vn's and what not especially if they dont like them only creates more spam.

Weaboo is not derogatory it simply referes to somone who only speaks about anime/manga and thinks they can speak japanese

I think people are questioning the point, mate. We have an influx of awards which celebrate very little, do we need more badges that celebrate even less?

@RinXD: Weaboo is derogatory.

These are not awards, it's a badge that goes under your member title. The point? It might be fun?

Regardless, i'll stop this here by saying i will still roll this out so any ideas are welcomed.

I also agree weeaboo is derogatory. Even if it's not to some i don't want ambiguous terms.

and rooke my issue with that is not everyone plays the same VN's or has the same tastes some of the people here have very niche tastes while others have more of a band wagon taste so asking for people to comment on vn's and what not especially if they dont like them only creates more spam.

Weaboo is not derogatory it simply referes to somone who only speaks about anime/manga and thinks they can speak japanese

Weaboo is used in a derogatory manner to refer to people who are overly obsessed with the Japanese culture. And good point, Otaku shouldn't be used either. 

Furthermore Fuwa has rules against spam, so an influx of spam may finally give Fuwa's 26 mods something to actually do.

The trick is to encourage meaningful contribution to up the actual content levels of Fuwa. People have been resisting that though and treat Fuwa as a place to only muck around, this deters serious posters from posting here or causes them to leave. This in turn means less serious discussion on Fuwa. It's an actual problem, and it ticks off quite a few people.

I do commit in serious discussion but it seems most the forum's activity takes place where you dont get stuff added to your post count.

honestly though i say use the otaku titles for now until it actually offends someone cause honestly I dont think too many people here are easily offended

I do commit in serious discussion but it seems most the forum's activity takes place where you dont get stuff added to your post count.

Yes, that is part of the problem. Forums don’t actually survive without a purpose, they’re an old-fashioned format and when used mainly for “chat” or to “muck around” they tend to die off … in a timely fashion. The main advantage of the forum format is that it’s still the best place to have SERIOUS discussions.

Anyway, like I said the powers that be are obviously not too interested in this which is actually pretty disappointing. So there you go.

Anyway, like I said the powers that be are obviously not too interested in this which is actually pretty disappointing. So there you go.

I wouldn't say that. It's our primary focus in our brainstorming topics for VN talk, but it's slow going unfortunately due to *reasons.* Practically it might be the same, but the forum staff aren't ignoring how the VN side of the forums leave a lot to be desired.

In defense of this, this is just a simple improvement (I'll use this word lightly, maybe change would be better) that's quick to implement. It in no way meaningfully detracts from the forum, beyond taking up a little attention and effort on the part of Nosebleed.

Honestly there are probably people who would take offense to lurker

Doubtful. People often use it to refer to themselves, though I suppose the same could be say about weeaboo.

Furthermore Fuwa has rules against spam, so an influx of spam may finally give Fuwa's 26 mods something to actually do.

Please post spam, I'm running out of posts to hide and if I don't get my weekly quota I'll get reprimanded!  D: [/obviouslie]

Please don't post spam...

I've only seen the term weeaboo used in a derogatory way, so...like other people have said, I don't think that would be a good idea.  Some people don't care as long as they're the ones referring to themselves as such, but others might see it as public shaming, so it's best to err on the side of caution in situations like this.

Sorry, I can't think of any other suggestions myself, I'm having a massive case of sudden onset writer's block.  Really, my mind is a blank.

To have both the member title plus the badges to represent post count seems a little pointless to me. I'd suggest making the badges represent something else, like say, the amount of likes a person has (something similar to the one we have on the profile page maybe...?). This also rewards users whose posts are liked by others, but the user himself doesn't post a lot. Just my two cents  :)

The discussion of meaningful posts not being rewarded / present is essentially a derail. I suggest just dropping it already and focusing on the task at hand.

Them analytical posts don't necessarily get that many likes, while you can sure get ones by witticisms and polarizing commentary. Wouldn't recommend badge being tied to like count.

Now... actual titles. Personally I think the ------ idea to allow for custom ranks will look a bit weird (and weird in general). I do think making some kind of visual representation (perhaps more of a circular badge thing? Might look bad, but any change of the current pips which realy fit the color scheme is going to be weird anyway) of the current title / progression is a nice touch, if you feel the pips are too impersonal.  Anyway, what I'm saying is keep the text field and have image represent what's in said field.

Personally? I think the tradition of adding fuwa to things in this forum is criminally underused these days. Fuwapocalypse, fuwamembers...

Fuwalurker

Fuwanovice

Fuwamember

Fuwasenior

Fuwaregular

Fuwaveteran

Custom Fuwatroll :Kappa:

A synthesis of the old titles with some new ones to fit the whole fuwa thing. Not too bad, right?

I personally think having a 500-1000 category is weird as you're pushing the custom title requirement up, but I guess if you feel like it you feel like it :s. Fuwalegend also seems a bit hyperbolic. That said that's still 6 ranks if you feel it's necessary, otherwise you can drop one of your choice.

^ What he said, no point in arguing over something which exists in around 90% of the forums online.

As the forum gets older, I however think it's a good idea to add a 500-1000 step.

The way you want to display it is up too you though, but I think text is good enough.

Noob

Baka

Otaku

Neet

Yandere

custom

Just stop with the suggestions. They are terrible in my opinion. I would't call myself an Otaku either. I am here because I like the community, playing VNs, watching anime and collecting some good stuff and so on.  

Personally? I think the tradition of adding fuwa to things in this forum is criminally underused these days. Fuwapocalypse, fuwamembers...

Fuwalurker

Fuwanovice

Fuwamember

Fuwasenior

Fuwaregular

Fuwaveteran

Custom Fuwatroll :Kappa:

The names are pretty similar as stated before. I don't really know if this is the right way to go. Either way I like the Fuwa word in things. 

Anyway, are we going to replace the current "Member", "Veteran member" and so on with something more visual like the staff banner but with different names and colors? I think that's a wrong approach too. You should see which members got a role of importance instead of everyone having banners. 

I think the current system works fairy decent. I don't know if General Discussion is still outside of the postcount. If that's the case I think we should lift that. My opinion is that Games & Chatter, Gaming Discussion and General Discussion is well organized and contribute something to the forum instead of the headless spam of the old Majikoi topic. We still got a lot of spam but mostly it is pointless games such as "kill the character above" or "true & false".

Ranting on forever, let's stop here. TL:DR.

I think we should be more clear about what we want. I am tired atm so I probably misunderstood 50% of what this topic is actually about.

I think the current system works fairy decent. I don't know if General Discussion is still outside of the postcount. If that's the case I think we should lift that. My opinion is that Games & Chatter, Gaming Discussion and General Discussion is well organized and contribute something to the forum instead of the headless spam of the old Majikoi topic. We still got a lot of spam but mostly it is pointless games such as "kill the character above" or "true & false".

Nah, Steve made some mistakes but that wasn't one of them.

I'll repeat : What Nosebleed is doing (If I understand correctly) is updating the post counting system.

It's a simple feature you'll find on any forum.

Right now what acts as a title counts up to 500 and gives you little balls under you're user title (which I didn't even noticed before he pointed it out).

It's a small change, the objective is not to promote anything or anybody, just make nicer and newer.

If anybody else wants to talk about NEW features, I suggest you make a new thread in the Improvements board.

Back on topic : I'm not really for a banner kind of thing (like the staff one). This can be used in a other way maybe =)

I'll give names a try :

Fuwapplicant 0-40

Fuwapprentice 40-100

Fuwadept 100-250

Fuwavenoidea 250-500

Fuwaddict 500-1000

Fuwancien 1000-5000

Fuwhatthefuck 5000+

Suggestion: since we happen to more or less be a forum about VNs we could use VN-related ranks?

For example (in no particular order, feel free to suggest more):

-Dango

-Mad Scientist

-Storm Vanguard

-Witch of the Council

-Youkai

etc...

You know... Wouldn't this imply some of us play VN's?

I like these titles quite a bit myself, but not being the kind of person who catches onto this kind of stuff easily, I'm afraid those who don't even bother with VN's won't really understand some of them.