Is zero escape the greatest visual novel?

bilguun

I've finished playing both 999 and VLR. And i am hoping to find a visual novel better than these two. Reason?

I want more enjoyment and amazing writing. These two games might be the best visual novels in the world. And i've played a lot of visual novels by now. Ace attorney, hotel dusk(not completely), danganronpa 1 etc. I am currently playing ghost trick, never 7( it's so slow). What i want to know is:

" Is there any game that has more tension, mystery, mind fuck and amazing plot than these two games? I can't think of any other game. I don't wanna say it cause there are so many games and i might have missed some really good ones.  

Clannad is more amazing

>.>     ...      <.<

This is just going to be a clash of opinions  ^_^

But it's good you liked these games, they both are great games.

Hopefully there will be a 3rd Zero Escape one day =). I really want to know about the full story >.<.

According to VNDB, there are a handful of games better than 999.  Of course, this is based on opinion and hype.  I quite enjoyed both games, and I will look forward to a third, should Japan decide to give it a shot.  The second game bombed over there.

I really enjoyed Umineko and Higurashi.  They're very long, however - like 50+ hours long.

I'll have to vouch for Vokoca's opinion on this one. Subarashiki Hibi is probably one of the greatest Mystery/Psychological stories I have personally read in any Visual Novel (or media in general)... as well. There's truly nothing else like it, and it is also quite the "mindfuck" as was said (although I dislike to use that label for a mystery story simply being a great mystery). SubaHibi pretty much fits all those "genres" listed, and would possibly be the most revelatory experience if you care for things such as Philosophy/Literature.

However, there are quite a lot of other Visual Novels that fall under this category nicely, too. I/O, and Umineko, which were previously mentioned, are also great examples.

Other examples include (that I have read); Cross+Channel, Steins;Gate, Root Double, Forest, Kusarihime, Saihate no Ima. (There are even more, but it'd take too long to list them here)

Only C+C, Steins;Gate, and Forest, of those are translated. The rest including Subarashiki Hibi are not yet translated. (Umineko and I/O are both translated, however)

This thread might belong in Recommendations section~

I'll third Ever17 :P

but you might wanna be careful, OP. You may start to ruin some of your VN experiences if you start comparing them like this in your quest to find the best of the best xD

I won't try to compare visual novels. It's just that i wanted a recommedation of a game that has breathtaking plot.

I'm kinda new to this site so i don't know much about the sections.

Thank you for your time   

I'll have to vouch for Vokoca's opinion on this one. Subarashiki Hibi is probably one of the greatest Mystery/Psychological stories I have personally read in any Visual Novel (or media in general)... as well. There's truly nothing else like it, and it is also quite the "mindfuck" as was said (although I dislike to use that label for a mystery story simply being a great mystery). SubaHibi pretty much fits all those "genres" listed, and would possibly be the most revelatory experience if you care for things such as Philosophy/Literature.

However, there are quite a lot of other Visual Novels that fall under this category nicely, too. I/O, and Umineko, which were previously mentioned, are also great examples.

Other examples include (that I have read); Cross+Channel, Steins;Gate, Root Double, Forest, Kusarihime, Saihate no Ima. (There are even more, but it'd take too long to list them here)

Only C+C, Steins;Gate, and Forest, of those are translated. The rest including Subarashiki Hibi are not yet translated. (Umineko and I/O are both translated, however)

I loved 999 and VLR so Subarashiki Hibi sounds right up my street. Is there a version in English?

Ever 17 was pretty amazing too :)

Sorry just read your post - doh! According to VNDB it has been partially translated but the whole thing isnt done yet?

I loved 999 and VLR so Subarashiki Hibi sounds right up my street. Is there a version in English?

It's in translation. I would estimate a release sometime next year, but do not listen to my ignorant talk, you can go take a look at it yourself.

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Subarashiki_Hibi

You. I like you.

ZE is the series that got me into VN's as well and nothing has come close ever since (Danganronpa games had potential, but it was a bit too goofy IMO, they're still 9.5/10 games though. 999 and VLR are 10/10.) , at least for me. E17 was nowhere as good in my opinion (for several reasons) with the exception of the Sora route which is my favorite route. (I don't count 999/VLR endings as "routes".) 

I've yet to read I/O though. If sci-fi mindfuck is what you want, Ever17, Remember11 (its conclusion sucks though) and Steins; Gate are still great reads. Subarashiki Hibi does look kind of promising, and I'm open to any sci-fi mystery mindfuck VN recommendations.

Zero Escape really got me into VN's too though I suppose Phoenix Wright started it off.
Some of E17 was a bit too slice of lifey for me but the Sora route was just so cute <3

The climax is overall great, would have been amazing and the greatest mindfuck of all time if I hadnt played VLR beforehand, I felt like I kept guessing what was coming, I loved how Uchikoshi keeps throwing mindfuck twist bombs at you

:D

If you're looking for recommendations, state it in your topic title and post it in the right place. This looks like another of those:

"is [xxx] dah best evarrrr?"

thread that you see in every internet forum. That aside, I'll recommend

Jingai Makyou

Sayonara wo Oshiete

Subarashiki Hibi

Soukou Akki Muramasa

Saihate no Ima

J.Q.V Jinrui Kyuusai-bu

I've finished playing both 999 and VLR. And i am hoping to find a visual novel better than these two. Reason?

I want more enjoyment and amazing writing. These two games might be the best visual novels in the world. And i've played a lot of visual novels by now. Ace attorney, hotel dusk(not completely), danganronpa 1 etc. I am currently playing ghost trick, never 7( it's so slow). What i want to know is:

" Is there any game that has more tension, mystery, mind fuck and amazing plot than these two games? I can't think of any other game. I don't wanna say it cause there are so many games and i might have missed some really good ones.  

someone clearly hasnt played muv luv alternative. Also I find your lack of muv Luv alternative reccomendations disturbing.

If you're looking for recommendations, state it in your topic title and post it in the right place. This looks like another of those:

"is [xxx] dah best evarrrr?"

thread that you see in every internet forum. That aside, I'll recommend

Jingai Makyou

Sayonara wo Oshiete

Subarashiki Hibi

Soukou Akki Muramasa

Saihate no Ima

J.Q.V Jinrui Kyuusai-bu

Yay!  Finally someone besides me on this forum played Jingai!!!

Meh, ignorance is bliss.

"These two games might be the best visual novels in the world. And i've played a lot of translated visual novels by now."

There, fixed it for ya.

Judging by the titles you listed, you've only scratched the surface of VN.

Here's a quote of Sir Isaac Newton:

I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.