Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

That said, trying to do my physics homework for once (wow) and I'm utterly fucking stuck on a completely trivial-seeming question. I feel like an idiot. Funny thing is I want to study physics (quantum or astrophysics, recently heard about philosophy of physics which sounds amazing). 

I'm studying quantum physics and I still get stuck on trivial problems sometimes. It just happens. Usually the right method is to drop it momentarily and come back to it a few hours/days later and it'll all seem easy.

PS: philosophy of physics is very interesting from the little I know about it but good luck ever landing a job in that field. Quantum physics on the other hand offers tons of possibilities... (too bad I decided to try out doing an internship in lab astrophysics this year... /life decisions)

That said, trying to do my physics homework for once (wow) and I'm utterly fucking stuck on a completely trivial-seeming question. I feel like an idiot. Funny thing is I want to study physics (quantum or astrophysics, recently heard about philosophy of physics which sounds amazing). 

I'm studying quantum physics and I still get stuck on trivial problems sometimes. It just happens. Usually the right method is to drop it momentarily and come back to it a few hours/days later and it'll all seem easy.

PS: philosophy of physics is very interesting from the little I know about it but good luck ever landing a job in that field. Quantum physics on the other hand offers tons of possibilities... (too bad I decided to try out doing an internship in lab astrophysics this year... /life decisions)

You're kinda living my dream (quantum + astrophysics)

Happy for you! I've heard that astrophysics is hugely competitive too. Is that true?

Astrophysics certainly is afaik. However what I'm doing is slightly different, lab astrophysics consists in trying to reproduce space conditions (in that case interstellar conditions: ~10K temperature, ultra-high void and extreme UV radiation) in a lab, to better understand what astrophysicists (those who acquire data through satellites and do a lot of theory) obtain in their measurements, and help them make better simulation models.

I'm an experimentalist, much more than a theorist, so that suits me better. I've never done actual astrophysics, that would have required me to do a different curriculum than what I did (and I wouldn't have been doing quantum physics/quantum optics).

And I'm not sure whether that field will suit me or not, which is why I'm trying it out in an internship. I might go back to quantum optics when PhD time comes.

Astrophysics certainly is afaik. However what I'm doing is slightly different, lab astrophysics consists in trying to reproduce space conditions (in that case interstellar conditions: ~10K temperature, ultra-high void and extreme UV radiation) in a lab, to better understand what astrophysicists (those who acquire data through satellites and do a lot of theory) obtain in their measurements, and help them make better simulation models.

I'm an experimentalist, much more than a theorist, so that suits me better. I've never done actual astrophysics, that would have required me to do a different curriculum than what I did (and I wouldn't have been doing quantum physics/quantum optics).

And I'm not sure whether that field will suit me or not, which is why I'm trying it out in an internship. I might go back to quantum optics when PhD time comes.

Science is fun.  Not the field I'm best at, but those kinds of logic tests can do a man well, at least once you get past the subpar education system like the one here in the US.

I see. Well I'm much more of a theorist myself. Thanks for explaining.

I see. Well I'm much more of a theorist myself. Thanks for explaining.

Haha, that's what I thought when I was in high-school/first years of college =p

I don't think you can really decide that kind of things before you set your feet in a lab for the first time, or before you've had an idea of what a theorist's activity implies.

Confession: I just spooked myself real hard. Had to pretty much pull my computer apart to replace the thermal paste as that's the last thing I can possibly imagine is causing the semi-daily BSoDs I get (if it turns out that didn't fix it I just give up) and I forgot to plug in one of the power cables into the motherboard so when I pressed the power button it would power up for a second and turn off. I was worried my computeroni was RIP in pepperoni. :vinty:

ca0aa37880b3bb4b5c76789ab5ecb8bb.png

Source, plz?  :kosame:

Confession: I have been searching for a job for about three months now, and have turned up literally nothing. It's really starting to put a drain on me... and it's not like I don't have any experience ether. :/

On a more positive note, my step-dad offered me some temporary work with him for some renovation stuff, which is quite similar to what I did at the beginning of the summer before I got that guided walk thing at a local parkway. So, it is something, but I really want to get my feet on stable ground and get an actual job.

I was looking on-and-off for about a year.  Honestly, I think I just got lucky and happened upon a store that really needed new workers and was willing to train me (I have very little retail experience).  I also refused to apply to fast food joints and restaurants because I have no urge to get into the food industry, so that was also probably why it took me so long to even get a response.  Keep at it!  You'll get something eventually!  ^_^

Nothing wrong with an odd job or two.  Hell, if I didn't get regular dog sitting gigs I wouldn't have any money for hobbies and general expenses.  Your step-dad sounds like a nice dude.

Confession: I just spooked myself real hard. Had to pretty much pull my computer apart to replace the thermal paste as that's the last thing I can possibly imagine is causing the semi-daily BSoDs I get (if it turns out that didn't fix it I just give up) and I forgot to plug in one of the power cables into the motherboard so when I pressed the power button it would power up for a second and turn off. I was worried my computeroni was RIP in pepperoni. :vinty:

Was it the 4 pin plug on the board? The one generally in the top left?

Yeah, me and my friend forgot the exact same thing upon testing the board he just bought before we socketed and mounted everything. Turns on for a second or so, then right back down.

I honestly can't imagine it being paste though. If you are Intel, the processor will automatically undervolt to prevent excessive heat buildup.  I've never had a BSoD due to overheating in my laptop even when my processor managed to melt my keyboard ribbon.

Was it the 4 pin plug on the board? The one generally in the top left?

Yeah, me and my friend forgot the exact same thing upon testing the board he just bought before we socketed and mounted everything. Turns on for a second or so, then right back down.

I honestly can't imagine it being paste though. If you are Intel, the processor will automatically undervolt to prevent excessive heat buildup.  I've never had a BSoD due to overheating in my laptop even when my processor managed to melt my keyboard ribbon.

It was the 4x2, if that's what you mean.

It's a long shot, but if that's not it I honestly have no idea. Checked the memory, checked the SSD that has my system on it, checked the HDDs, checked the GPU, reinstalled Windows (which only reduced the frequency somewhat)... everything seems to work perfectly except when it BSoDs for no reason.

https://vndb.org/v16070 I'm sorry, it's only in Japanese :( 

The English text got my hopes up  :amane:  You are literally the spawn of Satan and Stalin  <3

I'm going to be starting to learn Japanese next semester, so I'm on the way to learning the glorious Japanese language.  Gonna have to self-teach after elementary JP, though, since I don't think my college offers anything higher.