What was the last game that made you say "wow"?

springning

VN: Ever17 or Sengoku Rance.

Ever17, the music with the story was breathtaking in my opinion. But I also sat in the night and played it.

Sengoku Rance, that addicting strategy aspect. And the option to always improve and try to beat your last score/characters. Some castlesegies you replay a dozens of times because you know you can beat it but you just need that speedluck or whatever. More of a stubborn behavior maybe. The satisfaction when you manage to capture a commander. 

Game: Civilization 5.

The epic feeling when you are hopelessly behind and somehow turn it around and win. Or just stomping everyone because they are bad.

But that "wow" feeling is lacking nowadays. I can't really find that epic feeling anymore. It is kind of frustrating but I blame the developers which are releasing broken games. For example Rome 2 is an awesome game but because of the 6 months where you could't play the game properly I can't ever say it got a place in my heart.

VN: My current one... Deardrops, I expected not much and got really surprised about the quality and it's still entertaining.

Game: Mass Effect Trilogy, thats the last I had really that wow-effect. For me thats the best thing I've ever played and I will it do again and again ;).

But as a PC player i was also impressed by NBA 2k15, because of the huge step they made on PC.

The WOW factor was a lot more common in the old days, partly because of the low technology base. When the technology base was low, and because video gaming was a fairly new industry, progression would happen (often) in leaps. So the first time playing Baldur's Gate was Whoa, the first time playing Diablo was Whoa. These days improvements happen in increments so...

Also publishers are risk averse.

XCOM - Enemy Unknown has a Wow factor, along with Valkyria Chronicles. Not many games like that released. Also Telltale games like "The Walking Dead," for storytelling proficiency.

It has been over 4 years. 4 years since I was denied sleep in my pursuit for the end of an epic story. 4 years since I was put into a month-long funk, that still returns when I hear certain pieces of the soundtrack. 4 years since I finished Xenosaga Episode III, thus completing what I consider to be the last great JRPG I've played. Sure some decent ones have come along, but everything I have played pales in comparison to what the Xenosaga series did to me. Episode III grabbed me, and its shadow still looms large over all games I play today. I still search in vain for something to match what it did to me, and I've yet to find it.

Xenosaga created the gamer I am today. It wowed me that much. 

There's a lot of games that I've played over periods of my life that took my breath away, as is with any progression of experiencing new things that come along your way. The last one that amazed me was an eroge called Subarashiki Hibi. Ever since finishing and re-reading 3 times consecutively a year and a half ago, I can say that my entire worldview and thought patterns have changed (or rather, have been heavily modified) as a result of taking to heart the story within this VN. Not only was it extraordinarily touching on a personal level, but it was also one of the greatest feats of ingenuity and 'paradigm shifting' I've ever seen in any story in any media. I've been "mindblown" by SubaHibi (sometimes by just thinking about it on the spot) so many times I've practically lost count and it goes to show that the writer is supposedly a very intelligent person who understands the world around us whilst being able to properly express himself (oh yes, it's a philosophical work xD). I guess my main interest/value here must be philosophy (or philosophy-related), as I managed to find what was the 'ideal' in accordance to this value.

Obsessing aside, before that were various other stories that I previously thought were the greatest feat in media, too. Before SubaHibi; I saw Umineko no Naku Koro ni as the ideal, with Little Busters! being the next, and then Ever17 before that. Pretty sure if I traced all the way to the very first 'amazing' thing, it'd be Chrono Trigger. CT was a game that I held (and still do) as one of the true masterpieces out there in video games. I'm probably more into eroge/VNs now because the stories are more expanded upon, with no focus on gameplay mechanics and the improving of them alongside story elements. Maybe another one of my values is the story aspect independent to any gameplay?

It's inevitable that SubaHibi will be surpassed as the pinnacle of all media by something else, most likely unexpectedly so. Knowing this, I like to be as forwardly biased as possible, so I can easily shift into any other thing I get involved with next (after all, this can be nothing but an opinion of mine).

I'll make it sweet and short; "Katawa Shoujo" made me shout WoW and my mom thought I was crazy. "Grisaia no Kajitsu" it's awesome + WoW! Actually, that's the only two Visual Novel's I played.

Other than Visual Novel, "WoW Cataclysm" made me WoW few years ago and recently I bought this new awesome game called "Ryse Son of Rome", the graphics made me WoW, the story-line made me WoW, everything made me WoW! (I don't know how many times I used the word WoW.. Tehee!)

VN: My current one... Deardrops, I expected not much and got really surprised about the quality and it's still entertaining.

Game: Mass Effect Trilogy, thats the last I had really that wow-effect. For me thats the best thing I've ever played and I will it do again and again ;).

But as a PC player i was also impressed by NBA 2k15, because of the huge step they made on PC.

I haven't played this game

• 2 weeks later...

The most recent game that has made me go "wow" was Telltales:The Wolf Among Us. I was honestly a little bit skeptical as to whether or not it would be as good as TWD, but i was pleasantly surprised. I loved the 80's neo-noir theme and murder mystery's, and now i'm looking forward to the second season.

well, I have heard this game, but haven't played it yet. The walking dead is also one of my favorite games.

• 3 weeks later...