What's your English vocabulary size?

corntastic

24,000 words. Not bad for a foreigner apparently. That test still made me feel like I knew nothing though --"

I made a friend that knows much more obscure english vocab then I do take it and he went up to 33,000. I wonder what a native english speaker with extensive vocab can get.

A whopping 17,400, which is rather disconcerting, considering I saw myself in a particularly bright light. Then again, that's actually quite good, all things considered.

Some of those words were absolute poppycock though. Some people find the way I speak to be weird, should they listen to anyone using half of those terms they'd probably shun him off to hell or something.

Do keep in mind the sample for this. First, internet users who likely already have a sizable vocabulary. Second, people whose egos and confidence are large enough that they'll want to test their vocabulary. Third, these are all literary terms; you can have the vocabulary of a polymath, but only in technical terms and do shitall on this test because of it. 

Ren, how do you know so much?

At least over here, Portuguese teachers seem to eat dictionaries for breakfast.

I remember I had one which spent her time spouting outrageously complicated terms and expressions in class. A terrible year, that one.

(And he's a English teacher, if you hadn't already deduced)

At least over here, Portuguese teachers seem to eat dictionaries for breakfast.

I remember I had one which spent her time spouting outrageously complicated terms and expressions in class. A terrible year, that one.

(And he's a English teacher, if you hadn't already deduced)

Didn't know that.  That makes sense. 

I'd take the test, but I don't feel comfortable putting my personal info in...I don't get why they'd need it in the first place.  Can anyone verify that it's not an info-harvesting scheme?

I can't guess approximately how many words I know, but people regularly use me as both a thesaurus and a dictionary, so...a fair number, I'd say.  I learned most of my vocabulary from reading, which I do a lot of, but I'm sure that's pretty standard.

I'd take the test, but I don't feel comfortable putting my personal info in...I don't get why they'd need it in the first place.  Can anyone verify that it's not an info-harvesting scheme?

I can't guess approximately how many words I know, but people regularly use me as both a thesaurus and a dictionary, so...a fair number, I'd say.  I learned most of my vocabulary from reading, which I do a lot of, but I'm sure that's pretty standard.

Then fake said info, or don't give it at all, if you are truly worried about it. From what I tested, it doesn't seem to particularly affect your score, neither is it required.

The info they request (age, month of birth, English experience, country of birth) is used for statistics from what I read. They don't ask for anything more, do they? 

Then fake said info, or don't give it at all, if you are truly worried about it. From what I tested, it doesn't seem to particularly affect your score, neither is it required.

The info they request (age, month of birth, English experience, country of birth) is used for statistics from what I read. They don't ask for anything more, do they? 

Yup, the intels are too common to be a problem.

I think there are more than one person born in one month. 

When I put in that I lived in the USA they also asked my ZIP code, so...that was a little creepy.  Took your advice and faked everything that I didn't feel comfortable putting in.

28,200 words.  Yay, I'm in the 90th percentile!