Your first VN experience

Wolfscythe

9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors was my first experience just a few months ago, even though I played it with an emulator I loved it. Then I bought Virtue's Last Reward, the sequel, and it became my favorite video game of all time. Now look at me, I've been impaled I am playing Ever17 and I am loving it. Then I have Steins;Gate, Rewrite, Never7, Remember11, 12Riven and Code18 if they ever get translated, Clannad, Muv-Luv, Muv-Luv Alternative, I/O, Fate/Stay Night, Cross Channel, Forest and a few more to read. Goodbye social life, I've got things to do.

I learnt about VNs when I went looking for Clanand-related stuff after watching (and loving) the anime and found Tomoyo After. Went to watch it on youtube, but since the prologue is pure nukige I got fed up with all the lines that covered half the screen including text so I downloaded it and was rather shocked (in a good way) from the ending, which made me realize how deep VNs can be - looking for other Key games, I played Little Busters and Rewrite and by then my fate has already been sealed. I've even started to learn Japanese to never run out, as well as read the fandiscs.

My first VN, before i even knew what VNs were, was Monster Girl Quest. Had no idea what a visual novel was at the time but i liked the story and didn't mind the H-scenes. From there i went on to Katawa Shoujo and finally learned that these were called visual novels, and what a glorious discovery that was. I've been eating up whatever i can find through torrents and websites ever since. I don't think it matters what got you started as long as it opened you up to a whole new world of entertainment!

The first vn I read was Moonlit Walks. Back then i didn't know what vns and at one point i was really bored and went through the apps on google chrome. It was short and very simple but the way it told the story ended getting me into vns. Who knew I would get into vns via the chrome app store  :P

I didn't know Time Hollow was a vn... >_> I didn't even know that Hitomi Stepmother's Sin was a vn. To be honest the whole concept of choices and how it affected the story just got me hooked. It felt more severe compared to choices in video games like Fable, Mass Effect and etc.

Muv-Luv was the first that I actually knew was a vn before playing it. All I knew was the rating it had and wondered why it was so~ Ah I still remember the 1st day- wait!

Actually Higurashi was my first Visual Novel lol but I didn't finish it because of Muv-Luv. I wonder if I should continue it..? I was like on act 2... >_>

I'm one of those guys that started with Katawa Shoujo.

But the reason was, at the stage, I didn't know there was such thing as a "Visual Novel". I thought it was just a "game with a few choices". 

My friend first showed it to me when I made a signature for him using Hanako as the render:

D9zsQUg.png

And I asked him where she was from. He told me, and gave me the link to download it. I never really suspected there were other things like it, until I learned that it had it's own genre; Visual Novels. I eventually started looking for more and more of them, but never found any in English. FINALLY I found this place, after my friend showed me that he was playing Rewrite.

I honestly am glad that Katawa Shoujo was my first because although it was quite the unique story, it was still a wonderful display of emotions and romance. Admittedly there was not as much intimacy as I'd have liked to see, but still. It was still a good first VN. 

My first ever visual novel was the 1st Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney . I had heard so much about it but when I saw screenshots I was like " Wow, this looks wack". But I ended up downloading an emulator and gave it a try. To my surprise I fell in love instantly. Last year I figured out what VNs actually were and that they are really popular in japan. So I figured if they were anything like the PW:AA series then I want in. So I did some digging and found a list of amazing looking vns like Majikoi, Fate/Stay Night, Dies Irae, Chaos;Head, etc. So I ended up buying an external hard drive and started hunting. The first VN I successfully downloaded was Fate/Stay Night. I went into it blind, knowing nothing of the series or what to expect from it. And what I got was an amazing experience that had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. I've been reading/playing VNs ever since.

My first VN ever as I say in my profile was "To the Moon". It's not your usual VN, there are no sprites and voices. But the sound track, man the sound track... it was hand made on the piano by the guy who made the game, and it was awesome, because of it I cried countless times. The story is original and amazing, and the two MCs have a lot of charisma (I'm talking about Rosalene and Neil here, but John and River are charismatic as well). I recommend anyone to play this indie masterpiece, really this should have a movie adaptation. If your curious about it I'll leave a link. Even if you don't play it, watch a walkthrough of it on youtube, I swear, it's a story worth hearing, and you won't regret it.

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

My first VN was Fate/Stay Night. I remember watching the anime and I found it to be really boring so I didn't finish the last few episodes. It wasn't until I saw the Fate/Zero opening and I was like "OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS AWESOME!" and commented on the video. Someone replied saying to read the visual novel. I was reluctant because I never read eroge before but I went against my instincts and read it, and I never looked back.

Little Busters is what got me into visual novels though. I didn't read Little Busters until a year after I read Fate/Stay Night but after Little Busters I started reading more and more visual novels. I'm still rather new to visual novels but it is truly a fantastic and unique medium of story-telling and I love it so far.

Let's see... my first Visual Novel was Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I had heard about it, somewhere, and got curious, which led me to try it out. I loved it, so I quickly finished the whole series (at the time, Ace Attorney, Justice for All, Trials and Tribulations and Apollo Justice). I then tried to find a series simular to these, and I found Professor Layton. I played the original and didn't enjoy it too much (mostly do to my lack of puzzle solving skills) so I changed games.

The next game I played was 999, found a walktrough of it and got interested. I thought it was brilliant, it was also the first time I saw the visual novel tendency to use time travel, alternate dimensions and all of the "prisioner dilema" "shrodniger's cat" which I found again in loads of other Visual Novels. Following 999 was the sequal, Virtue's Last Reward.

Finaly, the first more "traditional" visual novel I played was Ever 17, which I thought was absolutely brilliant, and led me to play Never 7 and Remember 11. Henceforth pretty much all visual novels I've played had no gameplay.

My first eroge in french was Saya no uta ( but i didn't liked it at first , now i like it  a bit more , i guess it's my mind who changed . I played it because it was the only eroge that was in french at this time .)

My first vn in french was narcissu ( great but i strangely felt empty at the end . I couldn't read english so i took one vn in french and it happened to be narcissu) .

My first eroge in english was Deardrops ( i still think that it's my first vn because it's the first vn that i loved , i also learnt english with this vn , it was from mangagamer so i guess it's not totally engrish. the game was just released in english so i thought i'll try it for my first vn in english so played it and it was my first real step in the vn world ) .  

My first eroge in japanese was Tsujidou san no junai road ( just loved it but it's also the reason why i can't finish it ,i felt bad to do others routes than the main heroine so i still didn't finished the main heroine route). I always wanted to play this one so i tried it and loved it.

Guest hairybumslapper

Look's like I'm going against the grain from everyone else but my first VN was Shuffle! I saw the anime and wanted to know if there was more to it and I ended up buying the VN from MangaGamer(wish I hadn't but oh well :P). I loved it and it's what brought me to start reading others as well.

That was my second VN after saya no uta. I remember skipping school so I could get the loli route after finishing off the other routes.

• 2 months later...

At first I watched school days then heard that it was based on a game, I couldn't find a translated version probably because I didn't know where to search so I just watched a few walkthroughs and liked the kind of games called VNs

so I searched for a free VN and there was Katawa Shoujo and so I downloaded it and played it

By the time I finished three routes, Danganronpa was out (the anime) so I heard someone says that he played the game which he downloaded from fuwanovel.net so I went and played the game and then my trip across VNs started :3

• 4 weeks later...