Gameplay VNs with exciting story?

alfredo094

I was going to read Ever 17 and G-Senjou no Maou, but for some reason I can launch the files, but they crash soon after that.

Anyway, given that now i can't read those, I'm looking for other VNs to read. I don't want to get too emotional, but want a generally dark atmosphere. I wanna feel the thrill of a driving question looking to be answered, conflicts developing over three-dimensional characters, theme-heavy storyline... stuff like that. I'd also like it to have some degree of gameplay (although that's not strictly necessary), preferably strategy-based. I want one of those that grips you from the beginning, you know?

I'm new to VNs, so I can't tell any examples i like yet.

So... um... If I`m being clear enough (please ask me to elaborate further if not), what do you suggest?

Incidentally, is there any reason why 999 isn't on Fuwanovel? I can't find the torrent... And yeah, PW and FE are amazing. FE is probably my favorite video game series...

maybe its because is a DS game, the sequel virtue last reward is for the 3ds and vita.

I generally recommend Eien no Aselia to anyone who will ask...

Someone will eventually recommend Yumina, though I personally dislike that one.  Same goes for Sengoku Rance, lol. 

When you are ready for ones that are untranslated, I suggest you start with Ikusa Megami Zero.  *Clephas assumes that every human will eventually speak Japanese like a proper human being*

I strongly recommend  http://vndb.org/v74

I like Aselia better than Kamidori which have gameplay elements too.

I agree that story of Eien no Aselia is better then Kamidori but Gameplay in it is boring while Kamidori has a really great gameplay.

So if he wants a good balance between both good gameplay and story I recommend Kamidori rather then Eien no Aselia.

Eien no Aselia is a great VN but it is definitely not something you go into if you want a good gameplay.

Depends on what you want.

I second Eien no Aselia for a great story, the gameplay can get tiring sometimes, though.

Rance... It depends. If you have a dark sense of humor you'll probably enjoy it.

Kamidori is a pretty mediocre game. The story is as cliche as it gets.

Depends on what you want.

I second Eien no Aselia for a great story, the gameplay can get tiring sometimes, though.

Rance... It depends. If you have a dark sense of humor you'll probably enjoy it.

Kamidori is a pretty mediocre game. The story is as cliche as it gets.

I think the gameplay of Rance is great. the feeling of building your army.  I also believe the game itself is pretty funny. I wasn't bored when I played the game and it kept me motivated and intrigued. The story isn't something heavy or so. The H-scenes was unwanted a couple of times. But you need some self-conscious or taste for dark humor and rape.

Kamidori was decent as you said.

Eien no Aselia is the one I would recommend too. If you like long games.

The suggestions here are pretty good.  I'll second Aselia the Eternal for a gameplay title with strong story.  Duel Savior is also worth checking out, although the story doesn't develop much til the character routes much later in the game.

As Clephas hinted, most of the gameplay titles with strong story are untranslated, including titles from Eushully and Ninetail.