Comyu Discussion

Kaguya

Mmmm, can't remember if I asked this in here.

Comyu has many options to choose? Or is it a linear story with few options?

Does this have any of those annoying RPG games, too?

There are 5 routes but there are very few options that lead into them. You don't get any options at all on your first playthrough. After that, some choices unlock that lead into other routes.

There is no gameplay, no RPG stuff or anything.

There are 5 routes but there are very few options that lead into them. You don't get any options at all on your first playthrough. After that, some choices unlock that lead into other routes.

There is no gameplay, no RPG stuff or anything.

Oh what? .... How long is the first play-through?

A lot of it is that chuuni is a genre that throws shame to the winds... so writers can get away with not pretending people are somehow good at heart (blech).

Yea about that.... When it comes to 3D world I completely agree with psychology of this VN sometimes to the point where I feel like I myself had written those lines about

Life and death being meaningless, about everything in world being equally worthless, about people caring only for them self, about morals/laws being only convenient tools for society, emotions being only delusions/fairytales ETC.

but that's exactly why I don't like it, while I am completely aware of those things being truth in 3D world I don't want that kind of world in my 2D stories. One of the biggest  reasons why I like Anime/VNs in a first place is because they are different worlds in witch things that are in 3D world only empty ideals, lies and delusions really exist in those 2D worlds so trying to create a 2D world that is as empty as 3D world is already flaw in my book, I already live in one such shitty world I don't won't to read/watch about another one of those. It's ok if they only start that way but letter in story turn it around in a decent 2D world but it's not ok if they go with it all the way, and true they kinda did try to do exactly that they did it in all the wrong points and too late.

So I just finished playing this after finally working up enough willpower to get through Hino's metaphor spam in Japanese. I have to say I'm not sure how people play this in english and enjoy it: It's littered with TL errors and reads about as bad as 5th grade english, but I guess in the world where TL's are so rare it's hard to be picky.

Anyways, overall, it's pretty wicked. It has some leftover noise which I'll get to in a bit, but I really like the games overall themes of the world and それでも。 I will say, I can kind of immagine Akihito getting under alot of peoples skin. He's not really a character that's meant to be sympathized with, he's really an identity of his own. As such, he BADLY needs voice acting. I've never seen a protag who so badly needed a seiyuu than Akihito. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's his opinions, or if Hino is simply using him as a screaming vessel.

Either way, in order:

Benio:

Gotou Mai really tested my love for her characters here. Benio does and says alot of stupid stuff, and you'd basically have to have the same rigorous, unflinching resolve towards 'justice' as she does to really agree with anything she says. There's one thing I find it hard to fault her about though, which is that she's really true to herself. She has an ideal, a dream, and doesn't compromise on it for anything. No matter what I think of the whole justice shbeel, it's commendable to see someone with such iron resolve.

Her route's also pretty damn good. It introduces the whole comyunet pretty well and uses Gasai pretty well. I kind of wish it had gone farther with it though, like Hisokas/Kagome's route, but I guess you need a sense of progression in terms of scale. It definitely shows the possibilities of the comyunet overall, so it's definitely a strong opening. Benio I also think has one of the standouts as far as voice acting goes with the cast.

Mayu-Mayu (ではなく)

Random shuudou nonsense, but it was good this time! I had read & and Ruitomo before this, but this really showed me that Shuudou can actually do good stuff by himself if he wants to. The overall stuff centering around a doujin game is kind of whatever, but the theme of masks and changing to fit the norms is really something that's personal to me overall. Shuudou just doesn't give a shit, even if he's writing in the rather dark settings of Hino. He'll just write whatever he feels like. Mayuki's route had some pretty strong characterization for the little liar, and overall was really fun to read. It may not have contributed that much, I guess, but it's nice to have a warm buffer once in awhile.

I gotta say, Shuudou got alot better than what he did for ruitomo. Especially his stuff in &. I guess its a relief they are dividing the scripts much better now adays.

Hisoka:

Incurably retarded.

This extends to her pressence in Kagome's route too, but Hisoka is basically some silly non-character that has virtually no existence at all except as a plot device. Her entire personality is quite literally nothing, she has piss all screen time, and overall just has nothing going for her that I remotely care about. I have no idea what Hino was trying to do with this character, because if it was just as a plot device, she didn't need a damn route to follow it.

Her actual route actually felt like it could have been good, but much like Hisoka it's lacking alot. It feels like half the scenes were pried out or never put in at all. Weird transitions aplenty. Anyways, I don't know, but Hisoka's route is really bizarre and a really bad thorn sticking out of the game. It really needed to be alot longer.

Ayaya:

......Uh?

How short was this route, like, 200kb or something? It was kind of funny, I guess, and had some fun moments in it, but... why? 2 route's that don't do anything in a game of this scale is really pushing it. This should have been a Yoruko/Nanase/Rondo route or something. It doesn't really even have a theme/message like Mayuki's. It's just... there. Ayaya is kinda cute, I guess.

Kagome:

Oh Kagome. How I love you so.

Insane, ludicrous, free of chains and countless other things to describe her. She'll definitely be the character I remember forever after Comyu. It was really hard hearing Isshiki voice Kagome, since I had just gotten off of listening to her in Gahkthun, where she voices much more soft spoken Neon. But she's fucking stand-out here. I liked almost everything about the haughty maniac.

Her route is... well. Wow. In was pretty amazed at how long it was, it felt like a short eroge by itself. Anyways, Akihito goes absolute peak retard in this route with that shit with Hisoka and alot of the stuff at the end. It was a sight to behold.

Anyways, a route like this is kinda hard to describe without spoilers. The obligatory AkbSW twist that exists in every Hino-game was actually pretty cool this time around. Well, the first one was, anyways. The second one is kind of silly, but whatever. Anyways, the game finally takes off its restraints and really lets the blood fly here. It's overall pretty cool, but I can immagine alot of people not liking the ending. It wasn't nearly as good as Akaneko's route from Ruitomo, but overall it did what it set out to do. It was an appropriate climax for sure.

So, overall, I enjoyed Comyu a pretty good deal. The game has alot of great passages and cool quotes you can take out of it. I think it's a bit more shounen than it wants to admit, but that's okay. I really, really think that the comyunet overall is heavily underutilized though, specifically because of the existence if Hisokas route and Ayayas route. Hisokas route would have been fine if it were finished, but I can't think of a good excuse for Ayaya. The game really should have had a Yoruko route, you could see all the things on Gasai's end of things. It'd have helped alot.

Maybe a fandisc with Nanase + Yoruko + Rondo/Iroha or something, ala ruitomo.

Anyways, thats my wall of text.

Bennio is funny, but her justice crap is just to damn annoying, the ending of her route was so anticlimatic beacause of it and its a pain again in Hisoka route. 

edit: I still haven't finished Hisoka route, but they really not gonna do anything

]about the stabing?

I mean really?

Bennio is funny, but her justice crap is just to damn annoying, the ending of her route was so anticlimatic beacause of it and its a pain again in Hisoka route. 

edit: I still haven't finished Hisoka route, but they really not gonna do anything

]about the stabing?

I mean really?

Finish that route before you say that.

Er...why say that, he's right? The only thing that comes of it is Akihito says "we're no longer on good terms anymore" (talk about an understatement

:rolleyes: ). Heck I'm pretty sure what's her name said that was just the start of her avenging Rondo but that is never followed up on either

Yeah, as I see it that should be more than enough for a battle between then, even more so with Izawa in the group.

Hello Lady seems to be the cleanest of the hino games. Ruitomo has some writer jerkyness, Shuudou and Hino randomly switch on whos writing all the time up until Akaneko's route. Akaneko's route itself has to be some of the most amazing shit I've ever read though, Ruitomo overall has alot of high points. From what I've heard of Hello Lady the scale doesn't get too big, but the text is less jerky and wraps up nicely. It's the only hino game I havent played yet, sadly.

Just finished the game and aside from the Hisoka route's thing with Benio and Iroha, I only have two major qualms about the game and they are both on Kagome's route, although my first complaint can extend to the other routes too.

First:

Gasai's death was too anti-climatic and his ideals beyond his speaking screen time and the legion's power never were used to it's full extent. His end feels rushed after his draw with Babylon/Sting, he was under utilized. This reaches a bit into the other routes but other than in name, Gasai and the Legion never did have that much presence or threat, I would have rather seen what Gasai looked like after reaching the top and working toards what he wanted, Benio's epilogue wasn't near enough for it.

Second:

The end left some questions unanswered. What are they doing with their daily lives if they are supposed to be hiding from the system, and what is it that Babylon fights to pay Akihito's debts? Problematic Comyu's? If so, what is his current position in the Comyunet? I think it was a bit too vague at the very end.

To your first spoiler :

I don't see any problem with Gasai's death, if one thing I would say it's well drafted. Gasai has a good fight before his death (showing that is reputation wasn't exaggerated) and the fact that he is dying "like that" is enough. A bombastic death would be inappropriate, not for Gasai but for Kagome route. Personnally I often see Akihito and his mates as  "bad guys" and the fact that Gasai die like a dog shows clearly that he has been ruined (even if he keeps some dignity, it's the King after all), we saw the king who nearly reached the top but was dragged down by Akihito, each time because of his relations with Rondo. (and Akihito seems to have the exact opposite ideals, trying to save one person no matter what) It was very comyu-esque and it contributed to this last route's amazing quality imo.

To your first spoiler :

I don't see any problem with Gasai's death, if one thing I would say it's well drafted. Gasai has a good fight before his death (showing that is reputation wasn't exaggerated) and the fact that he is dying "like that" is enough. A bombastic death would be inappropriate, not for Gasai but for Kagome route. Personnally I often see Akihito and his mates as  "bad guys" and the fact that Gasai die like a dog shows clearly that he has been ruined (even if he keeps some dignity, it's the King after all), we saw the king who nearly reached the top but was dragged down by Akihito, each time because of his relations with Rondo. (and Akihitio seems to have the exact opposite ideals, trying to save one person no matter what) It was very comyu-esque and it contributed to this last route's amazing quality imo.

I still feel that other than the fight, he had too little presence.