Comyu Discussion

Kaguya

About the red color, I liked that.......until the 6th or 7th time that it appeared. Yeah, after that was really difficult and I started skipping this flashbacks...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to start doing that if I want to retain my sanity.  It's started to really bug me; little things like that really irritate me, for some reason.

I also disliked Kagome... But her route is great. Definitely the best in the game, with none of the others getting even close to it. 

See, if she was real I would hate her, but her personality is just so refreshing compared to the others' that I just don't have it in myself to dislike her.  She constantly calls Akihito on his BS and "feminism", all while being consistent with her attitude and selfishness.  She also is one of the few characters that isn't a stereotype, so that's also a plus for her in my book.

Yeeeeah, I wasn't a fan of Kagome as a heroine, either. Her route was really good- enough that it improved my overall impression of the game- but for some reason, she just irritated me for the majority of the scenes she was in. I understand why she had to be there, but I don't really understand the appeal. To each their own, though, I guess. I liked Mayuki.

The thing with Kagome is that she is one of the very very few girls in VN and animes that is capable and dependable. It's rather masochistic to have a girl that exposes her problems to the protagonist and also need to be helped or "saved" in some ways : that's it nearly everytime in a lot VNs.
Kagome is really smart mouthed (oh yes she is) but she can also acts when it's needed, she isn't our small girl in distress and proves to be smarter and stronger than anyone else in the cast. She got a real, unique personality with a solid mind and that's worth mentioning. (Usami Haru from G-Senjou and most of the females in 07th Expansion works are also independent but that's still too few in the media, and Kagome's personality touched me more)

Just finished the VN. Overall a great VN. One of the more enjoyable ones. The common route is definitely one of my favorites. It did a good job on getting the reader into the world of Comyu.

Characters were also pretty good. Gasai is without a doubt by far my favorite.

His death in the true route really hit me hard. I couldn't believe that he actually died. Until I finished the VN I still believed that he still lived and faked his death. Definitely one of the most impactful deaths for me.

Finished up Hisako's route today.  Her character felt lacking, and to be honest, a little boring, but her route was pretty good, in my opinion.  The whole "doppelganger" idea was fairly unique, and I actually cared about what happened, unlike in Benio's route.  Liked the whole Kagome-Hisako relationship; they were just so pissy to each other I couldn't help but laugh.

One thing I didn't really get is how little Noiz was relevant to the plot, at least besides determining what end you get.  I mean, he acts like a puppet master, then blinks out of existence.  What?  I mean, he barely did anything at all.

• 1 month later...

I've started Comyu. 

I don't think I've been at it for too long but I've formed my initial impressions.

Up until meeting the "King"

I'm a sheltered guy. I hardly ever leave the house, and when I do, it's almost certainly not at night. This visual novel likes to talk about two subjects a lot, two subjects which I'm not exactly comfortable about. The miserable shadiness of the night in the city, and sex life. The latter constitutes pretty much all comedy thus far (how does one even manage that?) and the former makes for the setting and circumstances surrounding out protagonist's life.

Other than that, not much is known about the plot yet. I believe we were shown a team at the beginning and now we've been sent back in time to see how they met and how it all works and stuff.

We've also been revealed that there's some kind of incident in the town. Explosions killings in the like, which were attributed to a religious cult. Shady, to say the least.

"that" thing probably refers to the childhood friend, who knows.

Oh yeah, Kagome having the same voice as some other characters I can recall is almost painful.

Just fap to Gasai's charisma and continue reading, the beginning of Comyu is too scattered but it will get better.

This.  Just get through the first two routes, treat Ayaya's route like the joke that it is, and you're golden.  I disliked Benio's route because of Benio (she annoys me...), but aside from her, it was good, she just kinda ruined it for me.

Hisoka, Mayuki, and Kagome's routes are the best, in my opinion.  Hisoka is a meh heroine (she's not there that much) but her route is different than the others in a good way, Mayuki's is all about otaku stuff, and Kagome's is...well, Kagome's route, and Kagome is best girl.  Much more epic than all the others combined.

This.  Just get through the first two routes, treat Ayaya's route like the joke that it is, and you're golden.  I disliked Benio's route because of Benio (she annoys me...), but aside from her, it was good, she just kinda ruined it for me.

Hisoka, Mayuki, and Kagome's routes are the best, in my opinion.  Hisoka is a meh heroine (she's not there that much) but her route is different than the others in a good way, Mayuki's is all about otaku stuff, and Kagome's is...well, Kagome's route, and Kagome is best girl.  Much more epic than all the others combined.

I don't know... I have a feeling I will like most of the stuff about this game, but it might be just me.

Here are my thoughts thus far.

Up until fighting with Jack the Ripper

(Just how far into it have I gotten, I wonder?)

I really, really, like the protagonist. Apparently it's only to girls but he tries to save and help people (thus far).

His exchanges with Kagome are hilarious, actually. In fact, I love how he plays the straight man all the time.

Benio's been really cute though I'm kinda wondering whether I'm in a route or not. I understand that O-Haru-san is O-Haru-san, but I really hope that Benio kissing him isn't part of the common route.

Speaking of Benio, back when this came out quite a lot of complaints were directed at her herself because of her idealism and stuff. Thankfully for me, I am unaffected by idiotic actions in the name of some illusion of an ideal.

Kagome too OP. Why must you have that voice?

Mayuki has been great thus far, and this is just her (surprisingly random) personality. Even the game has shown me that she's "a liar", so its got me interested in what that means. Kaguya liked it, so that's my biggest clue that she shouldn't be exactly innocent.

Izawa is that guy with bad appearances but who probably isn't so bad at heart. Probably...

The maid makes herself appear really simple and clueless. Can I really find it in myself to believe that?

Ayaya is quite fun and cute. I personally like her. I wonder what it is you find wrong with a route based on her?

Kururi is really interesting, and honestly, quite hardcore.

I'd usually present theories and point out suspicious stuff... But I can't be bothered. At least you get my thoughts on characters. Very well developed and unbiased thoughts.

I don't know... I have a feeling I will like most of the stuff about this game, but it might be just me.

Here are my thoughts thus far.

Up until fighting with Jack the Ripper

(Just how far into it have I gotten, I wonder?)

I really, really, like the protagonist. Apparently it's only to girls but he tries to save and help people (thus far).

His exchanges with Kagome are hilarious, actually. In fact, I love how he plays the straight man all the time.

Benio's been really cute though I'm kinda wondering whether I'm in a route or not. I understand that O-Haru-san is O-Haru-san, but I really hope that Benio kissing him isn't part of the common route.

Speaking of Benio, back when this came out quite a lot of complaints were directed at her herself because of her idealism and stuff. Thankfully for me, I am unaffected by idiotic actions in the name of some illusion of an ideal.

Kagome too OP. Why must you have that voice?

Mayuki has been great thus far, and this is just her (surprisingly random) personality. Even the game has shown me that she's "a liar", so its got me interested in what that means. Kaguya liked it, so that's my biggest clue that she shouldn't be exactly innocent.

Izawa is that guy with bad appearances but who probably isn't so bad at heart. Probably...

The maid makes herself appear really simple and clueless. Can I really find it in myself to believe that?

Ayaya is quite fun and cute. I personally like her. I wonder what it is you find wrong with a route based on her?

Kururi is really interesting, and honestly, quite hardcore.

I'd usually present theories and point out suspicious stuff... But I can't be bothered. At least you get my thoughts on characters. Very well developed and unbiased thoughts.

Ayaya's route is 100% kouhai fluff, with some h-scenes thrown on top.  It only serves to introduce a character that is present in Kagome's route.  If you want it to be anything more than that, you're going to be sorely disappointed.  I don't have a problem with her character (besides the fact that she's incredibly annoying, but I can handle that), it's her route I dislike.

It's kinda strange that you like Akihito, honestly.  A lot of people dislike him, or even hate him, and prefer Gasai to him in a lot of ways.  Seems like that was intended, but still.  He's...a bit of a douche, and he's a bit too immature for my liking.  I got tired of his obsession with large breasts; I mean, sure, all straight guys like breasts, but geez, he goes overboard.  I remember scenes where that was all he talked about  >.>

Ayaya's route is 100% kouhai fluff, with some h-scenes thrown on top.  It only serves to introduce a character that is present in Kagome's route.  If you want it to be anything more than that, you're going to be sorely disappointed.  I don't have a problem with her character (besides the fact that she's incredibly annoying, but I can handle that), it's her route I dislike.

It's kinda strange that you like Akihito, honestly.  A lot of people dislike him, or even hate him, and prefer Gasai to him in a lot of ways.  Seems like that was intended, but still.  He's...a bit of a douche, and he's a bit too immature for my liking.  I got tired of his obsession with large breasts; I mean, sure, all straight guys like breasts, but geez, he goes overboard.  I remember scenes where that was all he talked about  >.>

This is also overexagerated, since the whole purpose of the main char and the VN is to point out the oversexualization of our societies, so it's a bit logical that Akihito is, not a pervert but a complete hentai womanizer.

100% fluff? Seems like the kinda thing I'd enjoy.

As for Akihito...

My opinion hasn't changed much (played up until Rondo's H-scene). He plays the straight man, is mostly rational, I can't think of any time he was a douche thus far and I haven't seen that much immaturity. Don't know what kinda VN's you've been playing, but by my admittedly low standards he isn't; he's got self control. He may think it, but hardly ever shows it.

Yeah, there are scenes like that, but those are purely comedic and served their purpose.

As for Akihito...

My opinion hasn't changed much (played up until Rondo's H-scene). He plays the straight man, is mostly rational, I can't think of any time he was a douche thus far and I haven't seen that much immaturity. Don't know what kinda VN's you've been playing, but by my admittedly low standards he isn't; he's got self control. He may think it, but hardly ever shows it.

Yeah, there are scenes like that, but those are purely comedic and served their purpose.

As for Akihito...

Only think i hate about him, he's unfaithful, and pretty much has a dick instead of a head.

This is also overexagerated, since the whole purpose of the main char and the VN is to point out the oversexualization of our societies, so it's a bit logical that Akihito is, not a pervert but a complete hentai womanizer.

Ehhh...that's debatable, but that might make sense in Akihito's case, since he gets it on with at least two heroines/main characters per route.  If it is actually a caricature of our culture, it's not obvious immediately, or at least it wasn't to me...I thought they just went heavy on the fanservice in order to attract more readers.

Most people prefer Gasai? Are you sure about that? Gasai was a pompous douchebag. Who on earth would prefer him? Akihito was much more relatable.

You're the first person I've seen that's preferred Akihito over Gasai.  Sure, he's a pompous douche, nobody is denying that, but he's doing wrong things for the right reason, while Akihito is doing the right things for the wrong reason.  They both have a point, but ultimately, Akihito does not see the bigger picture, and just does things because he's in the moment, no matter how bad the consequences might be.  Like Kurisu says, he kinda thinks with his dick, and that's kinda repulsive, at least if you don't think that nailing as many chicks as possible is the ultimate goal in life.

Ehhh...that's debatable, but that might make sense in Akihito's case, since he gets it on with at least two heroines/main characters per route.  If it is actually a caricature of our culture, it's not obvious immediately, or at least it wasn't to me...I thought they just went heavy on the fanservice in order to attract more readers.

You're the first person I've seen that's preferred Akihito over Gasai.  Sure, he's a pompous douche, nobody is denying that, but he's doing wrong things for the right reason, while Akihito is doing the right things for the wrong reason.  They both have a point, but ultimately, Akihito does not see the bigger picture, and just does things because he's in the moment, no matter how bad the consequences might be.  Like Kurisu says, he kinda thinks with his dick, and that's kinda repulsive, at least if you don't think that nailing as many chicks as possible is the ultimate goal in life.

Well, Akihito is really selfish but I don't think that makes him wrong. He wants to save everyone he cares about while putting an end to conflict. I'd say that "doing the right things for the wrong reason" absolutely does not fit him since in any other VN he'd be a standard altruistic protagonist but in Comyu, it's shown how those desires can actually be selfish and possibly hurt others in the process, while possibly not even being attainable anyways. It's an interesting way to portray a protagonist and represents a desire most people have and don't follow through on, which is why I said he's relatable. Meanwhile, Gasai is largely just power hungry and I don't see what makes him interesting at all.

As for the thinking with his dick part, well, I guess to some extent. When it comes to Haru and Rondo, he did what most single pubescent males would do. I think he's just willing to engage in casual sex when he doesn't perceive himself as being tied down in an established relationship and I don't think that's a repulsive point of view at all, but rather perfectly normal. There was one exception to this and I didn't actually like that scene but I don't think it degraded the quality of the VN by much.

I did not address Akihito's tendency to have sex with various women because I wanted to finish a couple of routes first. See what's common route and see what's unique on my first playthrough. 

But as it seems he does mostly the same in all of them, according to the people above, I'll do it now.

I have no problems with sex. It is usually related to love and whatnot and I'd wager it's why it's related to unfaithfulness. But in most of the H-Scenes thus far I don't think I've seen him display feelings of love in any real way (it's actually hilarious to see how emotionless he looks in Rondo's H-Scene). 

Unfortunately, I skip far too much of H-Scenes to be able to remember if Benio's are any different, but both Rondo and Haru simply satiate sexual desire and not much more.

Well of course, there's a mix of the two, the fact that 95% of the H-scenes are random as hell like "hey akihito, nice to meet you, let's do something" "H-scene" 

But yes, it's clearely a caricature of men who just go to nightclubs in order to bang random chicks with no love or anything, and that's why pretty much everyone is perverted in this VN.

Also i include the sex jokes to the h-scenes, i think they serve the same purpose.

As my favourite male char? Izawacchi, because yes, he's a tsundere, a bandit, a killer everything, but he do that in order to protect his friends, his family, even strangers (the drugged woman, how he talks sometimes about his sisters) No, Izawa has a damn good soul, but he just looks harsh because he basically lives in a dangerous area, and had to become a demon, a complete tsundere.

I've finished Benio's route, or so I'm led to believe. If the wakthrough's to be trusted however, this isn't the last I've seen of her route. 

Anyways, here are my various impressions:

I really do like Akihito... Being impulsive also makes for a good protagonist. They even say it. They often are in manga and the like, which means people like it. Well, I do.

I appreciate both the authoritative kind, calm and calculative kind, or, Akihito, who seems to like being calculative, impulsive and harem protagonist at the same time.

Benio is honestly fine with me, though what she does is not much different from other people. Other people do what they think it's just, even if it stands against ethics and morals. It just so happens that Benio is usually always on the side of the morals and ethics (the immediate consequence, not the long run, that idiot).

As for the plot itself it was pretty interesting. Lots of behind the scenes and I like how Akihito plays this like I would. Doing favours for the round table and for Caesar. Always staying on the big-shots' good sides. Otherwise, he also tries to fight "evil", or whatever they decide to call that. How hero-like.

I don't have much more to say. The final battle with the King was mostly ctrl-skipped through, as I tend to do for fight scenes. From what I did grasp however, Akihito was getting caught up in the moment and thinking some really dark stuff. Of course the ally of justice wouldn't let him.

The King let them live. As I don't think he'd be the kind to let those who oppose live in such a manner I'll assume it has to do with how Akihito didn't use any shady tactics when he had plenty of opportunities to do so. Take out his car immediately or use the witch, for example.

I enjoyed the ride thus far. I suppose I should be more expectant of such an acclaimed VN, but I don't really care much other than knowing I enjoyed it. 

Had it ended right now it would get a 8/10 from me. More towards 7, as it has ended too abruptly after the first playthrough.

I've finished Soejima's route. Both ends.

Kagome... It's so strange. Everytime we think she's gone for good she comes back. Is she that dependent on Akihito?

No big opinions other than that. Yeah... I just enjoyed it.

After the Normal End, I can say that the Good End was hilarious, you know, after all that happened.

This route does feel wholly more complete when compared to Benio's. Maybe because it had two ends? 

I've finished Soejima's route. Both ends.

Kagome... It's so strange. Everytime we think she's gone for good she comes back. Is she that dependent on Akihito?

No big opinions other than that. Yeah... I just enjoyed it.

After the Normal End, I can say that the Good End was hilarious, you know, after all that happened.

This route does feel wholly more complete when compared to Benio's. Maybe because it had two ends? 

She's actually not that dependent of Akihito, but she sure loves to play with her "plaything" AKA Bullying Akihito.

And also don't expect spoilers from me.