Comyu Discussion

Kaguya

I kind of agree that Gasai is extremely underutilized. He's a pretty cool character and I like his thoughts on evil, but he really should have shown up more.

That's my major qualm with the game, they introduced him and built a good base around him then hardly used him.

That's my major qualm with the game, they introduced him and built a good base around him then hardly used him.

No, Gasai works well as a background character. You're not supposed to sympathize with his thoughts, logical as they are, you're supposed to put yourself in Akihito's moronic shoes and go "no but u is not saving everyone u evilz!!1!1!!" while you see the red color 5 times in a single scene. Gasai works because this game does tell you way, way more than it shows you, and if it started showing you all that Gasai does, it would lose focus rapidly.

No, Gasai works well as a background character. You're not supposed to sympathize with his thoughts, logical as they are, you're supposed to put yourself in Akihito's moronic shoes and go "no but u is not saving everyone u evilz!!1!1!!" while you see the red color 5 times in a single scene. Gasai works because this game does tell you way, way more than it shows you, and if it started showing you all that Gasai does, it would lose focus rapidly.

I never said anything about sympathizing or not, although I do. I just feel that he should have been more used, he should have had more time on the spotlight, even in Benio's route where he was the main enemy it was still just the fight and it wasn't explored after that, only a thought Yoruko had about Gasai's possible change nothing else. He should have had more screen time even as a villain.

I never said anything about sympathizing or not, although I do. I just feel that he should have been more used, he should have had more time on the spotlight, even in Benio's route where he was the main enemy it was still just the fight and it wasn't explored after that, only a thought Yoruko had about Gasai's possible change nothing else. He should have had more screen time even as a villain.

that justice crap was so annoying, the final battle was so anticlimatic because of it.

that justice crap was so annoying, the final battle was so anticlimatic because of it.

I could put up with the crap about justice but I didn't like how the battle ended. I would like at least for there to be different endings on Benio's route one of them could be Babylon destroying El-Araihrah.

just completed 30 min ago,finally something interesting to read after grisaia.

highly recommended though I could not take much from the"save the girl" moto from akihito.

My top route are

1)Hisoka Normal end (Epic)

2)Ayaya (short and funny)

3)kagome

Now I will continue with the acclaimed Muv luv series, wish me luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like I got to the party a little late.  I'm in the middle of my first playthrough, and right now the only characters that really interest me are Mayumi, Izawa, Kagome, and Benio.  Akihito seems a little interesting, but he kinda irritates me.  I dislike Haru, she just seems like she only existed so there would be maid fanservice, and I find Ayaya's personality and voice to be equally grating.  I have to say, it's hard to take Izawa seriously, but man, he's quite a psychopath.  I know it sounds like I dislike Comyu so far, but that's not true.  I just tend to be overly critical at times.

Does the story improve with each playthrough?  That'd make sense, and I'm kinda hoping that's true, otherwise I won't have a lot to look forward to.

Haru is a true hedonist and her behavior isn't just here for the otaku-pandering, she's an essential part of the main group. (and it's intriguing that you're not interested in Gasai, the meeting with him was amazing)

"it's hard to take Izawa seriously"

Come on, he has taken down a bunch of thugs by himself at the begining, don't compare him to Kagome she's way too hard to reach haha.

"Does the story improve with each playthrough?  That'd make sense, and I'm kinda hoping that's true, otherwise I won't have a lot to look forward to."

For me, yes. While I found the common route to be quite good and well paced, I was in extase in Benio's, Hisoka's and mostly Kagome's route.

But I already read some thoughts of people who only liked the common route, it really depends.

I'll have to just deal with Haru, then.  I'm not really a big fan of obvious fanservice, aside from when Gainax is lampshading it.  It's just too funny for them to be serious about it.  I would be interested in Gasai, but I was just a little confused.  Akihito just started calling him "King" without any explanation, and he seemed a little 2D from what I saw of him.  I heard that he's not, but so far all I can really judge him on is his snarky attitude.

Not saying he isn't a badass, but I find it hard to take characters seriously when they're kids that are somehow seriously powerful.  Not saying that he's a bad character, which he's not, it's just I can't help but laugh whenever he does something that most people would find disturbing, like threatening to kill people or murdering his enemies.  He just looks so adorable.

I originally thought that I wasn't going to like Benio, but her personality was fleshed out a little more, and she reminds me of myself in several ways, but not to as much of an extreme.

I would be interested in Gasai, but I was just a little confused.  Akihito just started calling him "King" without any explanation, and he seemed a little 2D from what I saw of him.  I heard that he's not, but so far all I can really judge him on is his snarky attitude.

Well, he already called Yoruko a "Knight" when he saw her and in his mind Gasai is the "King" since he owns Yoruko. And you already caught a glimpse of his ideals in the discussion but maybe that wasn't enough to pull him out of the "2D" side, fact is that you will learn a lot of things about him anyways. (and he has a very good point : sweet coffee is for weaklings)

Not saying he isn't a badass, but I find it hard to take characters seriously when they're kids that are somehow seriously powerful.

I think he must be around twenty. He's just small.

And I agree with you about Benio, I liked her but more as en element than a character though, she contrast very well with other characters without that being awkward.

Haru is a true hedonist and her behavior isn't just here for the otaku-pandering, she's an essential part of the main group. (and it's intriguing that you're not interested in Gasai, the meeting with him was amazing)

"it's hard to take Izawa seriously"

Come on, he has taken down a bunch of thugs by himself at the begining, don't compare him to Kagome she's way too hard to reach haha.

"Does the story improve with each playthrough?  That'd make sense, and I'm kinda hoping that's true, otherwise I won't have a lot to look forward to."

For me, yes. While I found the common route to be quite good and well paced, I was in extase in Benio's, Hisoka's and mostly Kagome's route.

But I already read some thoughts of people who only liked the common route, it really depends.

I say its hard to take him seriously because the only thing it says about him is that he is a thug, but what type of thug he is? he is a drug dealer, a arms dealer, he takes people money from lunch? Is just to unexplained, and I find hard to take seriously young crime bosses, usually young people are at the bottom of the food chain.

Is not that Im asking realism, but is too farfetched to think that a bunch of dangerous adults would let themselves be intimidated by a kid. 

Is not that Im asking realism, but is too farfetched to think that a bunch of dangerous adults would let themselves be intimidated by a kid. 

Well there is a scene when he bumps into a man and a woman and the man in question just mocks Izawa and order him to get out of the way. (he get stomped out a minute later huhu)

But aside from that we saw that Izawa has a fairly high reputation in town and most people are afraid of him, small stature or not he surely had to kick some asses when he started out. And it's heavy implied that he's a drug dealer, there is a dialogue when he shouts at one of his man at the phone about the price of something and thanks to Yoshimori's drugs problem we learn that Takakura city is clearly a "drug-oriented" city.

Well there is a scene when he bumps into a man and a woman and the man in question just mocks Izawa and order him to get out of the way. (he get stomped out a minute later huhu)

But aside from that we saw that Izawa has a fairly high reputation in town and most people are afraid of him, small stature or not he surely had to kick some asses when he started out. And it's heavy implied that he's a drug dealer, there is a dialogue when he shouts at one of his man at the phone about the price of something and thanks to Yoshimori's drugs problem we learn that Takakura city is clearly a "drug-oriented" city.

yeah but is all to shallow to give the character some more deph, the only way I could see Izawa was as a punk rather them a mobster, not someone who would live that long with that attitude. 

I find it hard to take him seriously just because of how feminine he looks.  That's kinda straightforward, but it's true.  He's short and fairly effeminate, yet he's going around and murdering people and sticking his gun in people's faces.  I'm pretty sure that was intentional, since otherwise I couldn't guess why the creators would have designed him that way.  If they'd wanted to they could have had Izawa be a huge, hulking menace that would terrify people just by looking at them, but it seems like they wanted to contrast his personality with his physical appearance.

Just finished reading Comyu myself. Overall I enjoyed it but I found a lot to be desired. They could've put more time into developing people like Gasai or Nanase or even Kugura. Too much time was spent on other things and not the actual conflict between Caesar and the Round Table. Least I think so. 

Sorry about the double post, but ever since I looked up what Gevaudan meant I've been trying to find what each type of Avatar is a reference to.  So far I've found out that Georgios literally means "earth-worker", or farmer, in Greek, which doesn't make that much sense, but whatever.  Pantagruel was a French novel written in the 1600s.  Pantagruel is a giant, and is the son of a giant called Gargantua.  And, of course, Gevaudan is a reference to the Beast of Gévaudan, which makes a lot of sense, considering the Gevaudans' canine appearance and the fact that Jack the Ripper has one for an Avatar.  All I could find out about Ivanhoes is that it's a novel, but it didn't seem particularly related to the Avatar itself.  I can't remember the other ones, though, and I can't find a full list of them.

Yes there are a lot of little references like that. I don't know if you've seen Gasai's avatar but him and Yoruko's swords are named in reference to the novel "Watership down".

Later in the VN there are also obvious references to LOTR.

Oh my God, the movie adaption of that book traumatized me as a child  xD  I remember some of the character names.  Kinda surprised they didn't censor the references, like most VNs seem to do, but it's kinda cool just how much they're taking inspiration from both history and fiction.