Comyu Discussion

Kaguya

I just have to add to the gushing here.

Overall this type of VN isn't one that I particularly like thematically and I found the moralizing a little bland (sorry, but after having spent a significant amount of time at university discussing natural law and human rights, the prose here comes off as pedantic and shallow).

That being said...

Kagome is fucking insanely awesome.

Everything that is bad, or poorly done, or shitty about this VN pales in comparison to the awesome goddess that is Kagome Hinaori. To me, she will forever more be the example by which all other deredere osananajimis will be held to. She is the gold seal. The standard of excellence. Quite possibly my favorite VN heroine (and I've been reading them for well over a decade). She's so plainly and obviously the star of this VN that you almost think that the reason why you have to unlock her route is because otherwise you'd just go for her and then drop the bloody game. 

I don't think it's possible for me to gush any harder about her at all.

About Kagome and Akihito - 

I disagree that Kagome isn't dependant on Akihito. I think that it's pretty obvious by the time you get to the end of her route, particularly when you hear her internal monologue at the ending, that her affection for Akihito is the only thing that actually tied to her to the world at all. In fact, her entire arc parallels Akihito's - they are both surviving, miserably, but they aren't living. Most people don't bring this up because Kagome subverts the osananajimi (childhood friend) trope really well, but her and Akihito also share that old standby the "childhood promise" too. One of the things that makes the writing here really good is that they reference it in the arc, but they don't bring it out front and center all the time, but if you re-read the ending monologue by Kagome, it nearly brings her to tears to remember it. It ought to be clear by the end of the VN that Kagome is a cynic filled with an enormous amount of self-loathing. In that light her interactions with Akihito makes a lot of sense - she continually belittles him and is rude to him, but persistently stays by his side and invades his personal space. She's both pushing him away because of her cynicism and as a way to test him, but stays close by because deep down inside she wants to believe in him. Her big character development, or the conclusion to her route, is when she admits that she can't be a "witch outside of the world" any more - which is what Akihito proves to her, amazingly enough (for once) through his own personal character development.

It's a really snappy piece of writing all around. There's not too many VN's where both the protag and the main heroine actually develop in meaningful and complimentary ways and I think this one is by far the best example I've seen in recent memory.

• 1 year later...

Man this is a weird vn for sure. I don't understand almost anything they're going on about. Protagonist does contradict himself quite a bit doesn't he? Say one thing and a little while later says the exact opposite? I'm just at the point where they met up for the first time though. And Kagome is amazing thus far! Well, i wouldn't mind if her attitude was knocked down a notch or two at times, but that's a minor issue.

No Haru route? :( Well, she's a cheater so a route would be hard to do unless they changed that fact, but i'd love a heroine like her for once! I'ts like vn creators wants to do it, but keeps the young adult characters on the side for some reason. Too old for the Japanese audience? 

The Vn sure is interesting, but it's hard to really like since they're just talking nonsense all the time. I hope stuff starts making sense somewhere down the line.

9 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Man this is a weird vn for sure. I don't understand almost anything they're going on about. Protagonist does contradict himself quite a bit doesn't he? Say one thing and a little while later says the exact opposite? I'm just at the point where they met up for the first time though. And Kagome is amazing thus far! Well, i wouldn't mind if her attitude was knocked down a notch or two at times, but that's a minor issue.

Yeah, I had that experience while reading it, too.  I think it might be because ixrec translated it, and he's, well, ehhhhh.  Cross Channel's TL was even more confusing to read, IMO, and he translated that, too.  He's supposed to be pretty literal, and getting too literal while translating isn't supposed to be that good.  I remember seeing some people on r/visualnovels saying that Akihito saying that he's a "feminist" could also be translated as "ladies man", which, obviously, I cannot confirm as I don't know any Japanese yet, but would make more sense than ironically calling yourself a feminist when you're actually a douche.

ohh yeah. Started a while ago and resumed again the other day. I completely forgot how he kept saying he's a feminist and then suddenly going on about how he hates weak women. I was pretty confused to say the least.

well, regardless if he calls himself a feminist or a ladies man, there is a contradiction in what he says about women.

Thanks for the correction, Decay.  I was going off of memory, so I couldn't be too sure on that.

1 minute ago, Stormwolf said:

ohh yeah. Started a while ago and resumed again the other day. I completely forgot how he kept saying he's a feminist and then suddenly going on about how he hates weak women. I was pretty confused to say the least.

You used to hearing about the color red yet?  :makina:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished this one, after couple months of break (didn't want to struggle through all the routes for Kagome etc.)

Have to say, VN was good, nothing extra ordinary, just good. If Kagome was missing from the character cast I would even call this VN mediocre, but that's probably me. I really liked common route, all the ideas it has presented. Kagome was the best character in this VN, I loved her in the common route, and also through her route, she was better in common though (slighlty) Overall 7,6/10 from me.

Story:
Common: 80/100
Kagome: 70/100

Art: 70/100

Music/Voicing: 80/100

Characters: 80/100 (TY Kagome for being there, otherwise would give like 6 or 6,5 ^^)

Overall: 380/500 = 7,6/10