Some Upcoming Changes to this Forum

Tay

A big thanks to everybody who suggested ways we can better support this forum. I heard three requests over and over in the general feedback thread and in private:

• We need a separate "Projects" board for launched projects (for organization's sake, and because with the other fan TL discussion it's easy for projects to get buried)
  • Project managers need more control (software control) over a launched project's thread
  • Something like a tagging system (or something similar) which could highlight updates to a project would be beneficial

I think all of those things are great ideas. Here's what I plan to do:

• I'll be rolling out a new "Ongoing Projects" forum (which will separate and contain all the Fan TL/OELVN projects which have launched) today or tomorrow
  • Part of the reason for a separate forum is because it will make it easier for me to empower project managers and give them more software control over their threads
  • Tagging functionality (or something similar) and additional control will be implemented as soon as IPBoard launches their upcoming big update and I can gauge how badly it'll break the forums ; )

Thank you for all of your hard work. Please don't be afraid to speak up in the future and let us know what you need.

I'll be rolling out a new "Ongoing Projects" forum (which will separate and contain all the Fan TL/OELVN projects which have launched) today or tomorrow

I hope you mean only Fan OELVN projects (like Katawa and such), not commercial ones. That needs to be either properly tagged or separated. (People go to the Fan TL and volunteer section for the reason to volunteer and work for free, not to find out about what they can buy).

I hope you mean only Fan OELVN projects (like Katawa and such), not commercial ones. That needs to be either properly tagged or separated. (People go to the Fan TL and volunteer section for the reason to volunteer and work for free, not to find out about what they can buy).

Both the discussion and projects boards will be aimed at development of an original or translation product. I don't really understand what you mean -- are you talking about somebody coming in to hawk their VN? If so, that's not development-related, so it'd go to VN Discussion. (I'm going to hazard a guess that anybody hawking a commercial VN won't be developing it here.)

Both the discussion and projects boards will be aimed at development of an original or translation product. I don't really understand what you mean -- are you talking about somebody coming in to hawk their VN? If so, that's not development-related, so it'd go to VN Discussion. (I'm going to hazard a guess that anybody hawking a commercial VN won't be developing it here.)

Yes, I'm afraid of people coming to look for publicity instead of volunteers for their project. But as long as you specify that it should be fine.

And don't forget that there are people registering here for the sole purpose of promotion of their commercial project, we've had some topics like that. Those should stay like informative topics in VN talk where people can discuss it, if its good or bad and worth paying for - for fan TL section and volunteer work its mostly about getting people to work on the project :)

I don't see the point of such an arbitrary distinction. And people can speak for themselves, Steve.

It's possible for people to volunteer for commercial OELVN projects just as it's possible for people to volunteer for fan-tl projects. Similarly people who want to be kept abreast of games in development, or translation, shouldn't have to fumble through a hundred different sections because you want your free stuff remained separate.

At least for now, when this issue is still mostly hypothetical, the projects board can be used by anybody as long as legitimate development is going on. I agree a commercial project should be up front about their aims (so volunteers know what they're getting into), but their business model is their own.

This thread is specific to these forums changes and giving everybody a chance to offer feedback. Personally (and I ask for the mods' help if I'm not around) I'd like to keep it there, and will hide unrelated posts discussing Fan TL models/philosophy.

RE: Tags -- It'll depend on what the tagging functionality looks like. Again, we're kind of in limbo until we see the IPB update. There's a LOT of good things we can do, but my priority will be tailoring the tagging system for the use of Fan TL project managers. THEY are the ones to empower.

Thanks, everybody.

Let's not derail the thread too much, people. This isn't a topic about fuwanovel's goals.

I think a subforum only for OELVNs is kind of overkill, but if the launched fan translation projects are going there too I'm fine with it. There should be enough demand for it.

I want to complain for not being able to complain ! Unacceptable !

Good job ! ^^

I'm liking these changes

and *cough* don't forget to contact Lemmasoft *cough*

Edited by Guest

I think those are some nice updates to our forum, but I want to ask what happened with sub-section for VN suggestion, many people had expressed that they would like to have that so was it denied after all, if so could you tell as why. Sorry if you already explained it someware and I just missed it.

I think those are some nice updates to our forum, but I want to ask what happened with sub-section for VN suggestion, many people had expressed that they would like to have that so was it denied after all, if so could you tell as why. Sorry if you already explained it someware and I just missed it.

Do you mean the VN Recommendation forum? If so... It's up! Problem solved!

If not, remind me what you're referring to.

Lemmasoft, at least the community around it, hated this site last I checked - or Aaeru for that matter, who knows. Might be worth a try though.

Worth looking in to. Would not be strange for a community of content creators to hate pirates, but afaik most of the people who make stuff there release their games for free anyway. I think I remember some random post that said Aaeru actually wanted to form links with them at some point or something, to reach out to the OEVLN community or whatever. 

What about "Stalled", "Inactive" and "Dropped" project?

What will be happened if project manager is "M.I.A." "Quit" or "Fired" in the middle of the project?

And what will you do with "Finished" project?

Do you have any counter-measure for that? :P

I also think we should have sub-forum for "Dropped" and "Inactive" projects in case of someone else want to pick them up.

I will say that group coordination is something that we need to get built around - from experience it's one of the hardest things to get right, and it's quite easily fatal for a project if not sorted out from the outset.

Building the new forum around enhancing coordination will greatly improve the quantity and quality of works that we put out.

Tay. Many thanks for this!!!

Oh I love you so much right now.

Whenever I updated the Violet Hill thread I was always uneasy cause I knew that my update would be buried in miliseconds under 50 posts of idle VN chat. XD

Separating projects (both FTL and OELVN) is a very helpful move for us VN developers/Translators who want a little more attention and a dedicated space to recruit and ask for feedback.

Many thanks for this. In behalf of my team, we really appreciate it!

What about "Stalled", "Inactive" and "Dropped" project?

What will be happened if project manager is "M.I.A." "Quit" or "Fired" in the middle of the project?

And what will you do with "Finished" project?

Do you have any counter-measure for that?  :P

I also think we should have sub-forum for "Dropped" and "Inactive" projects in case of someone else want to pick them up.

It's an excellent question. After the initial move (where we move all the projects which fit in this category) (we WILL miss some -- just PM a staff member and we'll get you to the right place), I plan on going through the forum and identifying a project manager for each thread. If the forum software updates work as I think they're going to, we should be able to give that person added control over their topic. Should the project's staff change, you'll just need to let us know so we can make the update. (It's all hypothetical because we're still waiting to see how IPB changes)

Inactive/dropped projects is a good question. Right now I'm planning on just moving them all into this forum (the inactive projects will turn up near the bottom of the list). We'll see how it looks at that point. (EDIT: We can always add more sub-forums for recruiting and/or shelved projects (shelved because they're complete, inactive, stalled, etc.), depending on need)

Also, I'll stress again that the Projects forum is for launched projects, not for requests or the initial staffing of a project. That, in and of itself, will filter out a lot of threads and make the projects forum more useful.

Tay. Many thanks for this!!!

Oh I love you so much right now.

Whenever I updated the Violet Hill thread I was always uneasy cause I knew that my update would be buried in miliseconds under 50 posts of idle VN chat. XD

Separating projects (both FTL and OELVN) is a very helpful move for us VN developers/Translators who want a little more attention and a dedicated space to recruit and ask for feedback.

Many thanks for this. In behalf of my team, we really appreciate it!

Hopefully this makes up for my criticism early on ; ). Looking forward to seeing where your work leads. Keep it up, and don't stop believing!

Any way you could give the entire team or at least multiple people administrative ability over their group's post?

I hope so. It depends on the software. I'll keep everybody updated as soon as I know more.

We're now moving projects from this board to the new Projects board. It may take the weekend to get them all, but please bear with us as we sift through the forums.