Anime's you wish could be re-written?

crunchytaco

Did you ever have that urge to take the reins of an entire Anime project and steer it into the proper direction (maybe not directly with your own hands)? That anime that could have had so much potential to be great if it didn't have the lousy half of the second season?

I thought Samurai Flamenco's first 6-7 episodes were going to lead to something divine. We had a pretty big revelation at the end of episode 7, when a drug bust went wrong and several people died. This revelation was the Episode 25 Berserk-esque type. Then the unexpected happened: the writer died and left the rest to the assistant who's only job is to bring coffee every morning.

This thread is basically asking us to post our most disappointing anime :P

But in the spirit of it, for me it would be a lot of the harem romcoms that don't get a conclusive ending and the ones that get the ending with the worst heroine.

But since I need a specific title I'd say Chuunibyou could definitely use a boost.

Elfen Lied should have been made more accordingly to the manga as well.

Sword Art Online, I would kill off Asuna.

And this is just to name a couple.

The World God Only Knows.  Why did you skip so much.  Why....

Although the arcs they skipped were in fact interesting they were not really necessary to get the general idea of the plot.

The goddess arc would have been massive if they had adapted everything so they just cut off the extra girls' first conquering and in the end it was still coherent.

They just did it to save space.

Obviously I would preferred if they didn't but you know, budget's tight.

But in the spirit of it, for me it would be a lot of the harem romcoms that don't get a conclusive ending and the ones that get the ending with the worst heroine.

But since I need a specific title I'd say Chuunibyou could definitely use a boost.

Although the arcs they skipped were in fact interesting they were not really necessary to get the general idea of the plot.

The goddess arc would have been massive if they had adapted everything so they just cut off the extra girls' first conquering and in the end it was still coherent.

1.) Why the Asuna hate?

2.) For TWGOK

They skipped the Tsukiyo conquest. She was a goddess. Just all of a sudden, "Oh yea, you don't know anything about this girl but she's important so just go with it".  I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in an anime as I was with that.

1.) Why the Asuna hate?

2.) 

They skipped Tsukiyo. She was a goddess. Just all of a sudden, "Oh yea, you don't know anything about this girl but she's important so just go with it".

She was way too annoying, personality wise and her role in the story just bugs me at points. Especially the second half.

Of course this is subjective, but she really annoyed me, I preferred all the other girls over her.

Think of it this way. The budget only allows for 13 episodes. 

Tsukiyo's arc adds 0 value to the big plot if you look at it. It's really kind of a separate side story where nothing related to the main story happens. Although of course she has a goddess, her actual conquering is irrelevant in the big picture. 

Same thing with Yui although Yui's is a bit more important because her conquering had some lingering effects in Keima but again irrelevant to the grand scheme of things.

If they had adapted Tsukiyo's arc they would have needed to stretch it to adapt Yui's arc as well and then add the moment where they discover goddesses exist and all the girls' second capturing which would surpass 13 episodes instantly.

They just did it to save budget really.

Of course it doesn't sit well but there was no other way around it for the budget they had.

The non-existent tsukihime anime should be remade from scratch. Besides that, nothing in particular. Sword art online could have been actually good with very few twitches as well, but that's about it, I think.

I've read the light novel to SAO and at least it stays absolutely true to it (down to nearly every single detail). Doesn't stop people wishing it was different, whether it be source or anime.

I'm not too picky when it comes to the writing, I just accept things as they are most of the time. One that annoys me, which is recent, is Brynhildr. If I had my way, I'd get rid of the (IMO) crappy romance part of the plot and just stick with the main witches plot.

Detective Conan

To those who've followed this classic anime for a long time, the old episodes are really some of the most entertaining detective thriller romance drama, but that quality took a slow subtle decline over the years until the mediocre cash cow it is today. God, this is like watching a classic, not very popular TV show you love as a kid turn into 'mainstream' fluff that just feels... empty.

Anyway, if I could, I'd probably take the decline in quality around episode 400 and drive it back to the way the anime used to be, full of thrill and suspense with the black organisation hot on our boy detective's tail, all the while having Ran's life constantly put in danger... Kyaaaa, that could have been much more cooler... than this 'kid-friendly' crap put before us today.

Digimon Xros Wars

A few years ago, after the fifth season of Digimon, Digimon Savers, improved the quality of the series since Digimon Frontier's decline, we Digi-fans had thought that the sixth season would naturally pick up that momentum and bring back the glory days that was Digimon Tamers... Unfortunately, much like Detective Conan (and at least 60% of anime out there), Xros Wars suffered the 'Empty Plot Syndrome', in that an empty plot was put in place, dragging the anime along, see how many viewers it could sucker into watching the crap, and milk the cash the hell out of it... That's pretty much the best analogy I could come up with when I think about these anime in the recent years that were full of moe, cheap laughs, and cliche storylines that we've seen plastered on seven other anime in the same month.

Needless to say, if I could improve upon the anime, the first thing I'd do is make it so that the story doesn't just consist of 'fight the bad guys and get pumped up with cliche shounen spirit while evolving Dragon Ball Super Seiyan style.' No. It's actually not that difficult for even a five year old to come up with a more original story than the kind of crap Xros Wars presented us with.

Sigh... The future looks bleak for the series. Oh look, Pokemon is selling like hotcakes, despite having the same repetitive plot as Xros Wars.

Little Busters

You knew this was coming. You've seen it coming a long way ever since you read the title of this thread. JC Staff's Little Busters is one of the most disappointing anime of recent years, and it's hard not to see why. Specifically - the Rin2 route.

Solution: Actually add the entire Rin2 route into the anime instead of just skipping out the most important part of the route.

Oh, and fix Komari's route too. The anime version of that route sucks. I cried more in the VN Komari route. This is especially nerve-wrecking because she happens to be my favorite character in the VN.

Well, to be fair with Little Busters, it's very had to animate parallel story lines, especially when some are so deeply rooted in romance (Haruka's route was sooo much better in the VN). IMO J.C. Staff did a decent job with what they were working with. But yeah, some parts were really disappointing, and the way they did Rin2 pissed me off as well.

IMO J.C. Staff did a decent job with what they were working with.

I know, which is why I didn't outright condemn them, merely putting their work in the 'disappointing' region instead of 'outright terrible.'

I still think KyoAni could've pulled an 'After Story' again with LBs...

Seriously nobody said "Umineko"?

Great novel, great story, great characters, easy 10/10, but then DEEN made that... I wonder why they didn't do the second season -not

Edit - Samurai Flamenco was soooo good, even that they've gone through some weird s**t, I still think it was one of the best animes of that season/year.

Great novel, great story, great characters, easy 10/10, but then DEEN made that...

Ah, DEEN, so ever popular for screwing up our beloved VNs.

I was actually looking forward to Umineko. Aside from being a Higurashi fan, Uminemo's premise alone was really intriguing. Guess I'll just have to settle for the VN for now...

There are many anime that I wish they could be written

but out of all , I wish Chaos; Head was rewritten, wasted a lot of its potential plus the VN was really good (according to other people cause I haven't read it) but the anime was bad imo

Edit:most of the anime that need to be rewritten were mostly the adaptations of a long VN or games (blazblue for example) in single cour anime aka 12 or 13 episodes. but other than that, there are some anime that wasted their potentials such as death note, Itazura na kiss and Ao no Exorcist 

She was way too annoying, personality wise and her role in the story just bugs me at points. Especially the second half.

Of course this is subjective, but she really annoyed me, I preferred all the other girls over her.

Think of it this way. The budget only allows for 13 episodes. 

Tsukiyo's arc adds 0 value to the big plot if you look at it. It's really kind of a separate side story where nothing related to the main story happens. Although of course she has a goddess, her actual conquering is irrelevant in the big picture. 

Same thing with Yui although Yui's is a bit more important because her conquering had some lingering effects in Keima but again irrelevant to the grand scheme of things.

If they had adapted Tsukiyo's arc they would have needed to stretch it to adapt Yui's arc as well and then add the moment where they discover goddesses exist and all the girls' second capturing which would surpass 13 episodes instantly.

They just did it to save budget really.

Of course it doesn't sit well but there was no other way around it for the budget they had.

I get the budget was limited, but I personally would have extended another season.  Again, budget, but this is the topic to complain about these things. XD

A Black★Rock Shooter anime that actually made sense would've been nice. So much potential with the setting, but it ended up being one of the most miserable experiences I've had with anime. Not only was the plot horribly written, but it was packed with annoyingly forced melodrama. I would've dropped it if it wasn't 8 episodes. It's still the only anime I've ever given a 1 to.

My big one would be Rurouni Kenshin.  I really want to see the Jinchu arc properly animated(not that piece of butchery called Reflection).

Otherwise, Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse would be a candidate(give it to a more competent studio).  Really, just about any anime that strays too far from the source material would do.

Death note. Need I say more?

I've read the entire manga and loved every bit of it. I felt no need to touch the Anime but I was wondering what was it that left you wanting more? I haven't heard any complaints about it unless you're referring to the live action movie. 

Harem Rom Coms always leaves unsatisfying but the ride sure is fun. In my heart, Steins;Gate is a seinen Harem RomCom that has a conclusive ending so I always have that.

I'm talking about this.

FSN really should be remade as well, but Ufotable is already doing it, so /shrug.

I get a broken link when I click that. 

I've read the entire manga and loved every bit of it. I felt no need to touch the Anime but I was wondering what was it that left you wanting more? I haven't heard any complaints about it unless you're referring to the live action movie.

Hey, some of us actually prefer the live action movie over the anime.

I felt that the second-half of the anime was pretty weak as well. After what happened to L, the entertainment value of the anime took a steep decline with that cheap imitation. The live action movies were smart to keep L as the main antagonist.

I get a broken link when I click that.

Well, opinions are opinions.

Naturally, there is no such a thing as Tsukihime anime.

Little Busters

You knew this was coming. You've seen it coming a long way ever since you read the title of this thread. JC Staff's Little Busters is one of the most disappointing anime of recent years, and it's hard not to see why. Specifically - the Rin2 route.

Solution: Actually add the entire Rin2 route into the anime instead of just skipping out the most important part of the route.

Oh, and fix Komari's route too. The anime version of that route sucks. I cried more in the VN Komari route. This is especially nerve-wrecking because she happens to be my favorite character in the VN.

I agree with this and I was disappointed with with the whole thing really. Surprisingly many anime only viewers who finished the thing have given it a lot of praise so it might just be something thats horrible if compared to the VN but is still decent standalone. It is a little sad that only those who have played the VN will know how much better it is compared to the anime.

I would like to see school days adapted with a different route. It would be interesting to see how anime viewers react to the same MC who makes different less rage inducing decisions.