Exogenesis Kickstarter - A post apocalyptic interactive visual novel

Nosebleed

This was posted on our facebook page and I checked it out myself and was rather impressed so I wanted to share it with you.

This is a post apocalyptic adventure visual novel apparently inspired by the Ace Attorney and the Zero Escape games set in a war devastaded Tokyo.

Kickstarter Page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2921787/exogenesis-post-apocalyptic-tokyo-adventure-visual

They seem to be planning on adding voice acting if they get enough funds and they don't seem to try and go for silly otaku friendly vocabulary which is really great. If it's like the voice acting in the trailer I have no problems with it if they end up adding it.

There also seem to be puzzles and gameplay elements and there's 6 chapters with plenty of hours of gameplay (according to the page)

Everything about it looked like it had time and effort put into it. Hell even the trailer looked like it had a ton of effort put into it. I'm thinking about trying the demo and give some extra feedback. Regardless I wanted to share this with all of you if anyone's interested in contributing. It's been a while since a kickstarter project has made me this interested so you might feel the same way.

Playing the demo right now

First impressions:

• Was surprised to see it was a Ren'Py engine game. Nonetheless it has had more effort than your average Ren'Py novel.
  • Options menu rather limited. Particularly the volume sliders. The text has this sound effect while it reveals and to me it's annoying and there's no way to turn it off as far as I can figure out.
  • Also there is no log option so I can't go back and read stuff. When I started a new game it seemed to be on auto for some reason which was annoying considering I couldn't get parts of the text and there's no log option to go back and check.
  • Another thing is I don't see the point in having all the options under the text box and then having all the options again when you right click. A bit reduntant and needless to me. Would be better just to use right click and remove the options on the bottom entirely
  • It has a BEAUTIFUL soundtrack. Even the menu's soundtrack is great. Whoever composed this is a genius, really gives you a nice ambient feeling, I want more soundtracks like these! If you're thinking about trying the demo, do it with headphones, I'm serious.
  • Animations are slightly clunky but honestly judging from the fact it's made on Ren'Py they are more than acceptable. CGs are also animated by the way not just normal character sprites
  • Very Zero Escape based just like the description mentioned. You can interact with the environment and collect items and change the prespective just like in 999 or Virtue's Last Reward
  • However the fact that the game is made on Ren'Py shows its flaws, there's some lag issues particulary with the puzzle GUI (yes there's a puzzle GUI!) as well as some clunkyness but it's not game breaking. This actually made me impressed of Ren'Py's capabilities. I had never thought this engine was capable of making puzzles.

These are just my intial thoughts. I'm actually getting into the demo itself. The story is very mysterious right now and I really want to find out more about everything. Very captivating.

Will keep playing and I advice you to as well.

Wow.. I am actually stuck in the first puzzle.

I'd like to continue but I can't figure out how to proceed further.

I'm clearly NOT the best person to test this game.

Just because I didn't start yet. I can't even play Professor Layton without a guide =/

Edit - I really enjoyed to see all they have. I'm downloading the demo right now, so I'll comment again later

Alright managed to finish the first puzzle.

If anyone is trying the demo and can't figure it out how to escape the room

• First collect all the diary pages, they're easy to find
  • There's a battery in a hole next side the bed, take it
  • There's also a hologram device in one of the drawers I think (forgot), take it as well
  • Combine the hologram device with the battery
  • Next click on the diary on the desk and assemble the pages in a way that the flower on the bottom right is blooming
  • The color of the pages in that order is the order you have to input the code on the hammer box next side the door
  • If you're too lazy, the order is Mangeta, Purple,  Blue, Green, Yellow
  • Next take out the hammer
  • Break the boards next side the bed and take out a flower brooch
  • Combine the flower brooch with the hologram device to get a Kinjaku-ji hologram with missing letters
  • Using the decipher on the wall and the 4 missing letters of the hologram you can figure out the code to open the door
  • If you're too lazy it's 9141
  • Click the door and you're out!

This is actually bigger than I thought, there's a city for you to go around and do stuff, it's like 999 but with bigger sceneries.

Really intriguing and captivating so far. Sadly i'm too sleepy to continue but i strongly recommend you give the demo a try guys. I'll do more of it tomorrow.

If you like puzzle solving and interacting with stuff, this game has it. Alongside beautiful artwork. Props to the guys who made this.

I am honestly impressed.

Playing the demo right now

First impressions:

• Was surprised to see it was a Ren'Py engine game. Nonetheless it has had more effort than your average Ren'Py novel.
  • Options menu rather limited. Particularly the volume sliders. The text has this sound effect while it reveals and to me it's annoying and there's no way to turn it off as far as I can figure out.
  • Also there is no log option so I can't go back and read stuff. When I started a new game it seemed to be on auto for some reason which was annoying considering I couldn't get parts of the text and there's no log option to go back and check.
  • Another thing is I don't see the point in having all the options under the text box and then having all the options again when you right click. A bit reduntant and needless to me. Would be better just to use right click and remove the options on the bottom entirely
  • It has a BEAUTIFUL soundtrack. Even the menu's soundtrack is great. Whoever composed this is a genius, really gives you a nice ambient feeling, I want more soundtracks like these! If you're thinking about trying the demo, do it with headphones, I'm serious.
  • Animations are slightly clunky but honestly judging from the fact it's made on Ren'Py they are more than acceptable. CGs are also animated by the way not just normal character sprites
  • Very Zero Escape based just like the description mentioned. You can interact with the environment and collect items and change the prespective just like in 999 or Virtue's Last Reward
  • However the fact that the game is made on Ren'Py shows its flaws, there's some lag issues particulary with the puzzle GUI (yes there's a puzzle GUI!) as well as some clunkyness but it's not game breaking. This actually made me impressed of Ren'Py's capabilities. I had never thought this engine was capable of making puzzles.

These are just my intial thoughts. I'm actually getting into the demo itself. The story is very mysterious right now and I really want to find out more about everything. Very captivating.

Will keep playing and I advice you to as well.

Hi! Director of Exogenesis here. I'm glad you're enjoying the demo so far, despite the issues. I registered to say you actually can turn the text beeps off via the voice volume in the settings. We're not sure yet why it starts on auto mode for some people, we think it has something to do with cache files because it only happens very rarely to those who've played Ren'py games on their machines before. There is a log option between cancel and save in the main menu.

So far I'm enjoying the demo, planning on making a pledge if I continue to enjoy my time with it.  I have noticed a small error though

bj43xNz.jpg?1

This was I believe on the second night when in Eiji's bar.

I don't know if I just didn't get a file in the download or if the file itself does not exist yet.

Update that's gonna fix that is going online in a couple of hours. You will probably also encounter Haru and Nobu overlapping each other once. :P

Ah that did indeed happen, I thought it was supposed to do that since I've seen it in other visual novels before.

This looks like it will be something worth playing and I can really see all the hard work being put into this. The story and everything else about the game sound so appealing that it'd be a waste not to check this out so I hope that this game can be done. I really hate myself for not having any money on me.