Favorite Moment(s) from a Video Game?

Mevvrynne

I'd say Snake Eater is my favorite in the series. It's sooooo good. The final fight is so damn beautiful. It's enough to make you tear up.

Same here. I didn't like it that much when I played it the first time, mainly because the top-down camera was awful. Substinence fixed that, however, and it was awesome.

I figured I would share something else that happened a fairly long time ago.  When Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the newest battlefield game, my brother and I were regular players.  One match we get into a tank and for no apparent reason, my brother fires off the main gun just in the distance, I guess he was hoping he would hit something?  Naw, he just magically placed a helicopter in the line of fire, no but really, he just randomly fired off a shot, and a helicopter was just taking off and rose directly into the shell, obliterating the pilots and passengers.  He got 4 kills while I got the assist points as well.  

halo 2, the level with the energy pillars holding up that sniper platform in the middle. dude tried to jump up there, took him out with my shotgun. he fell, hit something, landed in one of the pillars getting stuck in his falling animation for a few minutes. one random dude on the other team calls it out, something along the lines of "lol dude looks like he's swimming". everybody gathers in the middle to watch his corpse bob up and down while swimming in the air.

I go around collecting headshots.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought of another couple of moments, Bioshock related, that stands out in my head:

• The first Big Daddy fight. I don't mean only the first in the game, but the first time in your first playthrough before you knew much about them.
  • "Would you Kindly..." Pretty chilling and kinda totally badass.

(Planescape: Torment is superb.)

(Bioshock's "Would you kindly.." revelation was ridiculously shocking and very well done. Chilling, without a doubt.)

One of my fondest memories from gaming comes from Odin Sphere, actually. It happens pretty early on in the game when Gwendolyn is given to Oswald to be his bride, and she refers to herself as a "thing" to mock him.

He immediately responds "You are NOT an object! And I will not allow anyone to treat you as such." And he goes from being an antogonist and enemy to something far more intricate.

It pleased me very much to see such excellent writing in characters.

And since its the most recent for me, I love the Reaper chase on Rannoch in Mass Effect 3. Sends chills and thrills through me every time I play it.

My favourite moment was when you let the time run out in Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, my god that was such a shock/twist.

If not that one then I'd have to put Star Ocean: The Second Story when you clear the first half of the game, mygawd.

World of Ruins in FFVI.  I have many fond memories of the game and have done a lot of playthroughs over the years.

Recruiting new characters in Suikoden. (all of them)

Most of the second disc in Xenogears. (not to spoil anything, but most of the scenes involving Id, Ghraf, Lacan, Elly and Emeralda as well.  Also the scene with Hammer...)

The fifth stratum in Etrian Odyssey.  I thought it was mindblowing at the time.

Final Fantasy Tactics spoilers :

The fight against Gafgarion at the gallows. Also Argus' murdering Teta near the begining of the game. Many other memorable scenes in this game.

The intro sequence in FFIV.(With Cecil's Red Wings.)  One of my favorites.

Chrono Cross spoilers :

The part where Serge becomes Lynx.

Chrono Trigger : the whole time travel thing.

I agree with Bokan about Star Ocean : The Second Story, what a shock!

I really liked Arngrim's scenario in Valkyrie Profile.  Otherwise the whole norse mythology setting is something I really dig.

And to finish, Earthbound as a whole was one of my favorite moments in gaming. :P

Chrono Trigger : the whole time travel thing.

And to finish, Earthbound as a whole was one of my favorite moments in gaming. :P

You could essentially say Chrono Trigger as a whole is one of my favorite "moments," because I've played through the original more times than any other game.

And I desperately need to finish Earthbound...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ending of Xenosaga III

Oh this game...the memories.

For me though, I would say my favorite moment in a video game was going back and playing Donkey Kong Country 2 after hooking up one of my 3 SNES systems (and blowing into the cartridge no doubt like we all did when we were younger) and remembering where everything was 7 years later and getting 102%. The nostalgia - still love that game to this day.

Some recent ones come from the Mass Effect trilogy. Though I wanted to have a Renegade (dark side) character, some moments moved me so much that I was forced to choose the good option. For example:

There was this alien that acted like a jerky to humans. Then it turned out it was because she lost her daughter in a war (or something). You broke into tears and I was unable to help myself from offering a hand up.

The last battle in Mass Effect 3. All the allies you've spent three games with stand before you. You can choose to say "Comrades..." or "Friends...". After sitting on that screen for a good few minutes, I chose, "Friends...". That's feels (TUT).

For Final Fantasy VI:

In the ending scene, Terra looking happy for the first time, and when she let her hair flow in the wind. Those were memorable for me.

Some recent ones come from the Mass Effect trilogy. Though I wanted to have a Renegade (dark side) character, some moments moved me so much that I was forced to choose the good option. For example:

There was this alien that acted like a jerky to humans. Then it turned out it was because she lost her daughter in a war (or something). You broke into tears and I was unable to help myself from offering a hand up.

The last battle in Mass Effect 3. All the allies you've spent three games with stand before you. You can choose to say "Comrades..." or "Friends...". After sitting on that screen for a good few minutes, I chose, "Friends...". That's feels (TUT).

For Final Fantasy VI:

In the ending scene, Terra looking happy for the first time, and when she let her hair flow in the wind. Those were memorable for me.

Oooh, FFVI has a lot of good ones. My fav is probably

when Locke compliments Celes just before the opera. So sweet.

But ME3 has this one:

the Reaper chase scene on Rannoch. Music tends to make or break an unforgettable moment for me, and this scene has some of the best BGM to accompany such a dramatic and thrilling showdown. Chills every gorram time.

• 4 months later...

two of my own favorite moments: 

>playing Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal

>see that Qwark's mind has regressed into that of an ape

>cue laughter for days

this one is kinda a spoiler for Jak & Daxter:

the reveal that Daxter's transformation into whatever he is, means that he is now officially a Precursor, made me laugh pretty hard

Mgs4 - return to shadow moses 

silent hill 2 - leave ending 

Mgs3 - beating up random people in Groznyj Grad in Raikov disguise 

Dynasty warriors 3 - 100+ hours unlocking everything with my brother 

Final Fantasy x - arriving to Zanarkand